Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM

41 posts, read 156,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Why would two fatal car accidents bother regulars or even employees for that matter? I could see where 3 murders would but car accidents have nothing to do with anything.
I was referring to a murder happening inside of a restaurant... BLOOD & Crime don't mix well with people who want to eat.. Would you buy a house or eat in a restaurant where you know someone was murdered in, I wouldn't want to!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Uh... maybe because someone they knew and saw regularly died? Are you autistic or just obtuse?

THANK YOU SIR!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellegentz View Post
I was referring to a murder happening inside of a restaurant... BLOOD & Crime don't mix well with people who want to eat.. Would you buy a house or eat in a restaurant where you know someone was murdered in, I wouldn't want to!!
Well, you mentioned two car accidents like they had something to do with the murder. People die in accidents, that's life. Has nothing to do with a murder.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
Some people just have evil blood running through their veins and don't learn from their mistakes. He was in jail for three years, found a place who was willing to hire him, whether they knew about his conviction or not, and made the choice to kill her. I do believe some people go to jail and learn their lesson and change their lives around, which is a hard thing to do. These people have to work even harder to prove themselves. He is not one of them. He murdered in cold blood and probably didn't get away with a whole lot of money. I pray he is charged with the murder of that innocent baby, too. What if she was still alive when he took her outside? Maybe her life could have been saved.
We'll never know since Danielle can't speak for herself and this guy will never tell. If he does, who will believe him? Makes me sad to think this young woman will never get to live her life, her parents will not be able to see their grandchild. He knew darn well what he was doing and I believe he planned the whole thing. I don't believe it was a crime of passion. Crazy psycho or drugs, yes.
Does anyone know if she was the manager that hired him since she just got the manager job around the time he was hired.
The old saying holds true here: "Money is the root of all evil."

According to one article I read, Coxs FB page had the words "money, money, money" in there. Anyway, he is toast. Hope he gets the death penalty.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
The old saying holds true here: "Money is the root of all evil."

According to one article I read, Coxs FB page had the words "money, money, money" in there. Anyway, he is toast. Hope he gets the death penalty.
I understand what you are saying but the phrase is actually "...the love of money is the root of all evil". Money is neither good nor evil, it's just money.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
I, for one, would never eat there again. Crime scenes tend to supress my appetite. I would be sitting in there wondering where exactly she was killed, in the kitchen or in the dining room? Where the blood splatter reached, how long the body was in there, how close to my table. Yeah, thanks, but no thanks. And regarding Flying Biscuits offer to donate a portion of the sales to her memorial fund..... how about they take care of the entire funeral, as they should have had better procedures for employees and not allowing them to close up with convicted felons!

What is intresting is that they are charging him for 2 murders. I am all for it, they can charge him with global warming for all I care. But it is intresting that it would have been perfectly legal for her to deliberately and willfully conspire with medical professionals to kill her unborn child. But this man, who had no idea she was pregnant, and couldn't have possibly intended to kill somebody he didn't know existed, is all of a sudden charged with first degree murder of the unborn child. Doesn't make sense. Either its a life or its not.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
I never ate there after my first visit because I thought everything reeked and tasted of rosemary, which I hate. The fact that someone was murdered there doesn't put me off so much as the fact that they let a convicted felon work and close there. They're all lawyered up now so we'll probably never know how and why that happened.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I never ate there after my first visit because I thought everything reeked and tasted of rosemary, which I hate. The fact that someone was murdered there doesn't put me off so much as the fact that they let a convicted felon work and close there. They're all lawyered up now so we'll probably never know how and why that happened.
There are tax dollars as well as donations (I think United Way puts money into those programs, too) that go to back to work programs for felons. You can't get much info on recidivism or the overall effectiveness of these programs. Although we all are fully aware that felons need jobs, it really is troubling that someone can be released from prison, get a job and then re-offend in such a violent manner. Yes, I know everyone is supposed to be considered not guilty until found guilty, so I am assuming that LE had concrete reasons for charging Cox.

My point is . . . why isn't anyone discussing how he got the job and if it was part of one of these back to work programs for felons? Is this another black hole where we are pouring money and it is doing no good? Is the public put at risk? Shouldn't the folks who get into these programs always be non-violent offenders (drug offenses, typically). I don't know the answers but I feel this is purposely being left out of the discussion b/c officials don't want to have to cough up the real stats and how much the budget is, as well as what the criteria are for participation in the program.

On the other hand, maybe he lied on his application and no one realized he had just been released from prison. If true, then a community discussion needs to take place about businesses and background check procedures. Seems to me if any business hires someone without a background check - then shouldn't they be held liable for damages if a fellow employee is injured by that person (or God forbid, as in this case - murdered). It seems like a good time to have that community discussion, so I am disappointed that I am not seeing/hearing it.

Maybe some of the media outlets have mentioned this and I just missed it.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are tax dollars as well as donations (I think United Way puts money into those programs, too) that go to back to work programs for felons. You can't get much info on recidivism or the overall effectiveness of these programs. Although we all are fully aware that felons need jobs, it really is troubling that someone can be released from prison, get a job and then re-offend in such a violent manner. Yes, I know everyone is supposed to be considered not guilty until found guilty, so I am assuming that LE had concrete reasons for charging Cox.

My point is . . . why isn't anyone discussing how he got the job and if it was part of one of these back to work programs for felons? Is this another black hole where we are pouring money and it is doing no good? Is the public put at risk? Shouldn't the folks who get into these programs always be non-violent offenders (drug offenses, typically). I don't know the answers but I feel this is purposely being left out of the discussion b/c officials don't want to have to cough up the real stats and how much the budget is, as well as what the criteria are for participation in the program.

On the other hand, maybe he lied on his application and no one realized he had just been released from prison. If true, then a community discussion needs to take place about businesses and background check procedures. Seems to me if any business hires someone without a background check - then shouldn't they be held liable for damages if a fellow employee is injured by that person (or God forbid, as in this case - murdered). It seems like a good time to have that community discussion, so I am disappointed that I am not seeing/hearing it.

Maybe some of the media outlets have mentioned this and I just missed it.
Well, if violent felons aren't hired back into society, then you are guaranteeing that they will offend again. So I don't necessarily think that there is anything wrong with this man having be hired as kitchen help, where he isn't really exposed to the "public". There is a MAJOR issue, however, with the lack of procedures put in place or followed by this company to safeguard their employees. In my opinion, EVERY employee should have been aware of his criminal record, he should have NEVER been allowed to close down the kitchen, and obviously NEVER been allowed to be left alone with an employee, certainly not a female. All businesses should have procedures for closing up, counting money, putting it in safe, locking up, with whom.

When filling out insurance applications, an important question is always if they have safety procedures in place (which would include closing up). If the answer is no, I always advise clients that they need to develop these ASAP, not only is it prudent for the business, but if that check box is no, you are paying higher insurance premiums.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I know this whole hired felon thing is completely off topic, but I did want to add my two cents.

I know that prison is supposed to be a hard place, a place where you actively do not want to go, but I also believe that when someone does go to prison, they either need to be as bad as they were on the outside, or become an even more twisted individual in order to survive. I don't claim to have any intimate knowledge as to what goes on behind prison walls, but from what I do know, it doesn't seem like very much is done to actually rehabilitate these people, have professionals work with them to try to find the root cause of their problems, and help transform them into (mostly), functioning members of society who can contribute positively, instead of negatively. It seems more like prison is nothing more than a holding center for screwed up individuals to bide their time, until they can get released again and keep doing the things that got them there in the first place.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I know this whole hired felon thing is completely off topic, but I did want to add my two cents.

I know that prison is supposed to be a hard place, a place where you actively do not want to go, but I also believe that when someone does go to prison, they either need to be as bad as they were on the outside, or become an even more twisted individual in order to survive. I don't claim to have any intimate knowledge as to what goes on behind prison walls, but from what I do know, it doesn't seem like very much is done to actually rehabilitate these people, have professionals work with them to try to find the root cause of their problems, and help transform them into (mostly), functioning members of society who can contribute positively, instead of negatively. It seems more like prison is nothing more than a holding center for screwed up individuals to bide their time, until they can get released again and keep doing the things that got them there in the first place.
I'm sure every prison is different but I've watched tons of prison shows (Lockdown, Hard Time, etc.) and everyone I've seen has psychological counseling, job training, empathy building, etc. But they can have all the programs in the world but they just aren't going to be able to reach some people. Also, these programs aren't forced as far as I can tell so some inmates are just in there sitting and waiting to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte