Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 32,460 times

Advertisements

Good evening all!

A friend of mine was recently offered a job in Gastonia. One town they are looking at living in is Pineville. I haven't really ever driven between the two towns as I live in SC and work on the eastern side of the city. Do you have any thoughts on how bad it might be? I'm trying to offer them realistic information.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
It's not too bad once you past the 485/77 interchange. You'll be driving against the flow of the rush hour traffic so probably about 20 minutes to get to Gastonia.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanks! That was what I assumed after reading other threads on here about commutes.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMD76 View Post
Good evening all!

A friend of mine was recently offered a job in Gastonia. One town they are looking at living in is Pineville. I haven't really ever driven between the two towns as I live in SC and work on the eastern side of the city. Do you have any thoughts on how bad it might be? I'm trying to offer them realistic information.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
Are they concerned with schools?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 AM

They do have school-age children. I haven't looked at school rankings in over a year and, if memory serves me, Pineville has some areas zoned to decent schools and other to less-than-stellar schools. But again, it's been a while!

Do tell. That bad?

I myself live in Indian Land. They want to be near his work but also near us enough to visit regularly. I am stumped about what to suggest. They don't want to live in Charlotte proper. Any ideas? I'm open to them.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
If they are working in Gastonia, why not live in Belmont or Mount Holly.

Or head out to King's Mountain or south to Clover

Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM

184 posts, read 467,198 times
Depending where they're working in Gastonia, there are back roads that may be quicker. Drive South on Tryon(49) and then turning onto 274.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
They do have school-age children. I haven't looked at school rankings in over a year and, if memory serves me, Pineville has some areas zoned to decent schools and other to less-than-stellar schools. But again, it's been a while!

Do tell. That bad?

I myself live in Indian Land. They want to be near his work but also near us enough to visit regularly. I am stumped about what to suggest. They don't want to live in Charlotte proper. Any ideas? I'm open to them.
Their best bet for schools is Kings Mountain, but they have to be on the Cleveland County side. (Kings Mountain is in both counties.) Their next best bet would be to look in Belmont, Cramerton, & Mount Holly & aim for areas that will go to the new high school that is being built in Cramerton. That school, although not open yet, is projected to supplant Forestview as the best high school in Gaston County.

It is extremely important, for schools, that people buy on the Cleveland County side of Kings Mountain, as living on the Gaston side means sending their kids to Bessemer City. That is not something that I can recommend.

Clover, in South Carolina, is also an option.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I am not surprised at your suggestions. I have been reading city-data for two years now and felt all of the towns you all mentioned would be suitable. I am unsure if those towns are as close to us in Indian Land as they'd hoped for.

I guess that is my dilemma. I want to help, but I am also seeing a good middle ground between Indian Land and Gastonia with good schools might be elusive. Ultimately they need to decide what is an acceptable drive and what schools meet their needs. I realize CMS gets a bad rap- and rightly so in many cases- but there are some very good schools in CMS. I used the Meck County GIS to check school zones for some current Pineville rentals. They were zoned for Pineville Elementary which has a low rating, but also Community House Middle which has an outstanding rating and South Meck High which has a solid rating. I am going to give them a list of lots of towns as well as all sites I've used for school research. I think as long as I explain I don't feel I can give an opinion on the schools so they need to check themselves, I won't feel I am hiding anything.

Just for giggles, any decent route from Fort Mill to Gastonia? Not sure how 160 would be for traffic. Thanks again. I really appreciate everyone helping me!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am not surprised at your suggestions. I have been reading city-data for two years now and felt all of the towns you all mentioned would be suitable. I am unsure if those towns are as close to us in Indian Land as they'd hoped for.

I guess that is my dilemma. I want to help, but I am also seeing a good middle ground between Indian Land and Gastonia with good schools might be elusive. Ultimately they need to decide what is an acceptable drive and what schools meet their needs. I realize CMS gets a bad rap- and rightly so in many cases- but there are some very good schools in CMS. I used the Meck County GIS to check school zones for some current Pineville rentals. They were zoned for Pineville Elementary which has a low rating, but also Community House Middle which has an outstanding rating and South Meck High which has a solid rating. I am going to give them a list of lots of towns as well as all sites I've used for school research. I think as long as I explain I don't feel I can give an opinion on the schools so they need to check themselves, I won't feel I am hiding anything.

Just for giggles, any decent route from Fort Mill to Gastonia? Not sure how 160 would be for traffic. Thanks again. I really appreciate everyone helping me!
I asked, a while back, about a good back route from Kings Mountain to Carolina Place Mall & I was told to use 485.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte