U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 18,030 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've applied to several open positions with retail companies based in Charlotte (Family Dollar, Cato, Rack Room and Belk) and haven't had any response. I have a degree in Apparel Merchandising and several years of retail experience. Just wondering if the retail market is hard to break into. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I would really like to relocate to Charlotte before the New Year. Are there any retail companies I've missed? Please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,641,576 times
Don't give up. As discussed in the So hard to find a job! thread, there are a lot of people applying for those open positions. Give it time and you should land a position.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 AM

100 posts, read 325,441 times
Default retail jobs

Do not be disgouraged. Look into the big name shops like Gap and Bath and Body Works THere is a lot of retail going up on Rea Road off of 485 in the Blankney ShoppingCenter. Plus if you can get here and apply in person that helps. Good Luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
It more than likely they are seeing your out of state address.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 PM

18 posts, read 50,119 times
May I suggest going out there for a week and get some one-on-one interviews (this shows your really looking to relocate), walk into these stores and talk with the manager, also send a cover letter and state your ability to relocate proptly.

My husband looked for a job from Vegas, also retail managment, and he did everything I stated above.

Believe me it has nothing to do with out of state address. When I applied for practice managment positions every resume I sent out, I got a call back on, and my cover letter stated I wasn't moving for a month.

Best of Luck and you'll find something, its a growing city.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM

38 posts, read 90,507 times
Default jobs are hard to find here

im from san diego ca and boy i have been here a year, and it's been hard to find jobs, and if your lucky to get a call back and get hire , the pay sucks,
for what i did in san diego i get 40% less pay,,

Old 09-05-2007, 04:15 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbygirl View Post
im from san diego ca and boy i have been here a year, and it's been hard to find jobs, and if your lucky to get a call back and get hire , the pay sucks,
for what i did in san diego i get 40% less pay,,
Bet you also pay 40% LESS in rent though

Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 AM

118 posts, read 408,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxvillegirl View Post
Hello,
I've applied to several open positions with retail companies based in Charlotte (Family Dollar, Cato, Rack Room and Belk) and haven't had any response. I have a degree in Apparel Merchandising and several years of retail experience. Just wondering if the retail market is hard to break into. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I would really like to relocate to Charlotte before the New Year. Are there any retail companies I've missed? Please let me know.
You might also want to google North Lake Mall, South Park Mall and Concor Mills Outlett. Try Belks, Macy's, Neiman Marcus. There is a lot of new stores comming to the area. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 PM

72 posts, read 209,982 times
I don't think she is talking about applying to the actual store (like, where customers shop), I think she means a corporate job at the companies' headquarters. Don't feel bad, I just got my MBA in May and haven't had any callbacks either, even though I have been looking for jobs FOREVER.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:14 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,762,569 times
CATO is hq'ed in Charlotte and growing rapidly. Family Dollar is also hq'ed in Matthews (Charlotte burb), so check out their site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or