U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM

35,627 posts, read 44,070,096 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a source that would have those big ole satellite dishes that folks used 20 years ago? The huge ones? What do people do with them when they are taken off property?

I have found a way to re-purpose a large satellite dish, but I have no clue as to where I would even find one.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM

22,085 posts, read 40,282,548 times
Ah the big disk that look like they could contact aliens. I do not know what people did with them nor seen them being install.

My grandmother in Kentucky mountain holler still has hers by her house, even though she wired to one of little ones.

If you could figure a way to transport it around the steep curvy mountains its yours.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM

373 posts, read 119,782 times
What you going to do with them, make bird baths for canadian geese?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ah the big disk that look like they could contact aliens. I do not know what people did with them nor seen them being install.

My grandmother in Kentucky mountain holler still has hers by her house, even though she wired to one of little ones.

If you could figure a way to transport it around the steep curvy mountains its yours.
LOL! I wish she were in the mountains of NC instead of the mountains of KY. I can use one here in Charlotte and one up in the mountains, too! Transporting it . . . hadn't thought of the logistics of that. I guess get a truck and turn it on its side!

This isn't gonna be as easy as I thought it would be.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
What you going to do with them, make bird baths for canadian geese?
No, I saw a way to make a gabezo out of them. Just add posts, lattice work and maybe some shake on the "roof." I envision dressing it up with some other carpentry work . . . and putting a little bistro set in it. Leak proof roof, lol.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,306,640 times
Trans World Satellites and Home Entertainment in Monroe, NC this place has been in Monroe for over 20 years, I bet you if you called they could tell you where to go if they don't have any.

I remember when you could drive to a Time Warner office and they'd have those dumpsters outside for you to throw your dish when you switched to cable

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM

415 posts, read 385,075 times
For a minute there, I was thinking that Ani wanted to make a giant wok.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Trans World Satellites and Home Entertainment in Monroe, NC this place has been in Monroe for over 20 years, I bet you if you called they could tell you where to go if they don't have any.

I remember when you could drive to a Time Warner office and they'd have those dumpsters outside for you to throw your dish when you switched to cable
TY for a lead, Jake.

After posting here, I did more research and evidently they are not so commonly found any longer.

I will give it a shot, tho! It is expensive to have a gazebo built and I think even with my limited skills and a little help, I could fix up a really cute gazebo using a dish - and put it in my woods.

I also like the idea of repurposing those ugly dishes, lol.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
For a minute there, I was thinking that Ani wanted to make a giant wok.
There ya go! Feed the village! Make it into a solar cooker!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,406,910 times
If you call, be sure to find out the dish is mesh or not. many were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte