Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Please re-read my post. I was referring specifically to the families on my street. It just so happens that the families here from another county actually have just one or 2 kids.

This thread isn't only about your street although you refered to it. Different cultures have different views of birth control. Therefore, there are other some other reasons for having more than two or three kids than divorce.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 01-24-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
I teach religious ed at a large Catholic church in Charlotte on Wednesday nights. I teach 8th grade. There are no Hispanic kids in my grade and only one or two in 6th and 7th. None in 9th either. But kindergarten to about 5th grade are all about 1/3 Hispanic kids. It's so strange how they just exploded a few years ago. They're awfully sweet and most seem very devout.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Well I guess its a fact that low income families have more kids (anyone watch the documentary Idiocracy?).
Fixed that for ya!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I'm doing my part by not having any kids.
Same here. As far as I know, anyway.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I hate to sound like those who warned me about Charlotte growing but I saw something today that made me go hmmm.... interesting.

I hope I won't offend or violate any rules...

I had to drive my wife to the airport this morning. We were running late and happened to be behind a school bus on Monroe Rd. The bus stopped at an apartment complex, not a large one but a decent size. There had to be at least 40 kids in line to get on this bus all from the same complex.

I was 1)annoyed because we were running late.... 2)amazed at how many kids were the same age, in the same complex and how one stop filled up an entire school bus... and 3)frustrated by what looked like a deliberate attempt to flood the market.

How is it possible to have 40 kids all around the same age in an apartment complex so small? I've never seen a bus stop for children where the line to get on bus was longer then the bus.
on the bright side, at least the kids were taking the bus.

I've recently learned I need to avoid driving by schools at 7:30AM or deal with a line of 30-40 cars trying to drop their kids off.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
I hate to sound like those who warned me about Charlotte growing but I saw something today that made me go hmmm.... interesting.

I hope I won't offend or violate any rules...

I had to drive my wife to the airport this morning. We were running late and happened to be behind a school bus on Monroe Rd. The bus stopped at an apartment complex, not a large one but a decent size. There had to be at least 40 kids in line to get on this bus all from the same complex.

I was 1)annoyed because we were running late.... 2)amazed at how many kids were the same age, in the same complex and how one stop filled up an entire school bus... and 3)frustrated by what looked like a deliberate attempt to flood the market.

How is it possible to have 40 kids all around the same age in an apartment complex so small? I've never seen a bus stop for children where the line to get on bus was longer then the bus.

Not jumping the gun here but sometimes if it is a good school, people use other people's addresses so their kids can attend that school. I know one time when I was sitting in a lottery in Davidson, a mother said she lived in Huntersville but her child was going to Davidson elementary.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM

378 posts, read 704,528 times
It could also be that some of those kids actually don't live at the apartments. Sometimes when I stop behind school busses letting kids out in front of an apartment complex some walk right in while others scatter to either a different complex or down the street. This could be a communal bus stop for a portion of the neighborhood.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
What crap! (this thread).

Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Quote:
I don't have any as well...

but I'm working hard to change that.

funny/sad story:
I'm at a sports bar and the discussion at the table was about sexual education and how fast kids are growing up nowadays and the pressure kids put on each other to have sex. Long story short... the waitress steps in and tells a story about her friends trying to pressure her to have sex and she pretty much bragged about all her friends having kids "older" than hers. She just turned 18.

These kids are having kids and women are becoming grandparents in their 30's.
When Federal and State governments stop subsidizing this lifestyle it will stop.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
When Federal and State governments stop subsidizing this lifestyle it will stop.
Yup. I am sure that's the solution. I can just picture two young kids in the heat of the moment......

"Baby I love you and want you now"....."I want you too baby, lets have sexy time"........"No baby, lets think about the economic implications of what we are doing in light of recent changes to state and federal policies"......"you're right baby, lets just watch a movie instead"

Problem fixed

Last edited by FrankTheTank2; 01-25-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte