Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times

Advertisements

My eight year old golden was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma(cancer). Vet said he wouldn't live past two months. I think it's going to be a lot shorter, maybe two/three weeks.

Sooo, we are spoiling him more than usual. He loves the water and we thought it would be cool to find somewhere for him to go for a swim. Especially since the weather has been good and he does not feel the affects of the cancer just yet.

I was thinking Lake Wylie, but where could I access the lake? Are dogs even allowed?

Any other suggestions?

A while back, I was on a doggie day care website and I remember they either had a lake or pool on premises for the dogs. Of coarse now I can't find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM

186 posts, read 436,256 times
My sympathies... I lost a golden to cancer at 6 years old, there just aren't words, these guys are just the best dogs. I took that golden, and my current golden to two different parks on Lake Norman, not sure about Lake Wylie. Jetton Park has two sandy areas that make for easy dog swimming access. Ramsey Creek also on Lake Norman, has both a dog park, and a large sandy area. Many people with dogs come here to let their buddies swim, especially early in the morning in the summer.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 PM

373 posts, read 709,721 times
From one dog lover to another I wish you the best and I know your doggie has had the best..If I had a heated pool you could use it. Its sorta cold for swimming but a nice walk in McDoweld park or lata plantation near the water could be nice for him.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Great, thank you for the suggestions. Maybe we will try all three locations!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
From one dog lover to another I wish you the best and I know your doggie has had the best..If I had a heated pool you could use it. Its sorta cold for swimming but a nice walk in McDoweld park or lata plantation near the water could be nice for him.

Thank you

Old 01-28-2012, 03:43 PM

184 posts, read 467,198 times
We've taken our dogs to Lake Norman State Park. Copperhead Island, maybe? Copperhead Island

Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear that. We love our golden. We take ours to Latta Plantation canoe access point #1. Map:
60' Access St, Huntersville, NC 28078 - Google Maps

Basically you drive down the Canoe Access Road (the first one on your right) until the end. Park your car. Here is the hint. If you are facing the lake and standing at the top of the parking lot (about 75 yards from the water) you should see some paths through the trees on your left. Follow them for about 25 yards and there is a large private beach type area that the dogs love and the park rangers don't often monitor so you and your dog can swim. We love it there and its usually very private. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM

185 posts, read 318,328 times
I second Jetton Park! I have a dog also though not the same as your breed and just want to say Im sorry to hear about your little one. I can't imagine. Pray your last days with your doggie are wonderful!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
I am so very sorry to hear about your dog. We have an almost 11 yr old Yellow Lab that we love so much, I can't even imagine what you're going through. I don't have any recommendations, just wanted to express how sad I am for your situation.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post

A while back, I was on a doggie day care website and I remember they either had a lake or pool on premises for the dogs. Of coarse now I can't find it.
:-( So sad for you... Been there, done that. It's really tough, especially when they're still in relatively good disposition. (My girl was helped by steroids; we needed to keep her for one more week until her boy got home from scout camp. She acted so healthy... but we knew it was just the meds helping her.)

There's a doggie daycare up in Denver that has an outdoor pool. I believe they allow the dogs to swim, if they want to, during the winter if the weather is good. Look at Barkin Buddies. Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte