U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
 
28 posts, read 49,507 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

Well, I certainly don't think of Charlotte when I think of BG. But even NC has some nice venues, like Maggie Valley. Other than KY, the best places for BG right now are central FL and GA. Sure, you can hear BG in Montana if you look real hard, but it sounds best with a mayo jar full of shine. And THAT IS southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
Well, I certainly don't think of Charlotte when I think of BG. But even NC has some nice venues, like Maggie Valley. Other than KY, the best places for BG right now are central FL and GA. Sure, you can hear BG in Montana if you look real hard, but it sounds best with a mayo jar full of shine. And THAT IS southern.
GeneShay.com

The Folk Show

Philadelphia Folk Festival | Philadelphia Folksong Society

The same family names run through the mountains because family members wandered south as land filled up.

You're welcome to think of it as southern & I don't, but we are both right.

You think shine is southern, & you're right. However, one of my grandfathers ran a still in Michigan during the Depression/Prohibition. He never sold a drop, though. However he did sell root beer that he brewed with the same still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM
NDL NDL started this thread
 
Location: Gaston County
3,121 posts, read 3,609,225 times
Reputation: 2045
Thank you Stogey & Southbound, for the links and helpful suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thank you Stogey & Southbound, for the links and helpful suggestions!
You're welcome.

I'm a transplant. I've studied the Piedmont NC history in conjunction with genealogy. This is a very good point to start at for studying Piedmont history. http://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/col...wagon.road.pdf . While not all early settlers of the Piedmont came down the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road, a huge percentage did. Do a search on it & you will find maps & a wealth of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
NDL NDL started this thread
 
Location: Gaston County
3,121 posts, read 3,609,225 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome.

I'm a transplant. I've studied the Piedmont NC history in conjunction with genealogy. This is a very good point to start at for studying Piedmont history. http://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/col...wagon.road.pdf . While not all early settlers of the Piedmont came down the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road, a huge percentage did. Do a search on it & you will find maps & a wealth of information.
Thanks...The above link provided fantastic information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top