Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 AM

20 posts, read 29,134 times

Advertisements

Planning to do some serious driving around the bigger cities and adjoining areas looking for a good neighborhood, older house late 1800 early 1900's. Looking to spend 175k or less 1500 or less in taxes would be nice too. Like I said not sure where but we need a serious change here. Need somewhat of a yard though 1/2 acre + would be nice. Maybe someone knows of a house for sale by owner that are not on the realtor dot com site. I also have 2 HS age kids so schools need to be decent 5 or above i'm judging this because the school they go to now is a 5 and they are pretty good here so using that as a reference is all I have to go by. I've read a million posts on here and the different areas, there are a ton of knowledgeable and helpful people out there and believe me the future transplants really appreciate it, and then some. By the way, the wife is from Florida and the kids were born there too, so your only getting one damn yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
LOL! We are very grateful for all the "yankees" who have decided to come to Charlotte, buy homes, support their new community and become part of the thousands of folks who have claimed this region their new home. We would only ask you embrace the differences you find here that are charming - and bring good food with you, lol. It has really helped to have so much more of a demand for delicatessan type food products and ethnic foods since people have migrated here from other areas. That is something else we appreciate about "another one" moving here, hee hee.

What you are asking about would probably be more prevalent in small towns that dot the region (turn of the 20th C homes). I am hoping others will weigh in who have real knowledge; I am only able to suggest you check out properties in towns such as Statesville, Kannapolis, Gastonia, Kings Mountain, Lincolnton, Rock Hill (SC), Troutman, etc . . . or further out, Hickory, Newton, Morganton. I just don't know that there are many homes of that age and price range, and that haven't been rehabbed, especially w/ 1/2 acre and low taxes, unless they would be in more rural areas or small towns (in areas that have not been gentrified or are on the edge of town).

That isn't much help . . .

Now, for $175K, you can find newer homes, possibly with 1/2 acre around Charlotte, and in a decent school district.

Have you spent any time here? Just looking for a reference point of something you may have seen or heard about that would help us suggest an area for you. Or if we knew you were looking for a walkable neighborhood, or a good area to fish nearby . . . anything might help us narrow things down for you.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM

We now live in a 1850's Greek Revival, and love it. Wish I could pack it up and take with us. Would like to stick with an older house but who knows? The builders down there, I have been looking at newer homes too, have been building styles and architecture from years past so that is a plus. We're a looking at finding a place that is possible within a 1/2 hour from a 100k plus city, the bigger the better. We would find a house where pop. is 30k or so where it offers decent shopping and are around some restaurants, if you know what I mean. Clean looking neighborhood, no wheres is 100% safe, I realize that. I just want options and away from the $3500 plus taxes I pay every year for nothing. Im sick of snow in Feb. and March too. We lived in Fl. so the NC summers must be better than Fl summers. Any replies to me are helpful pros and cons!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imad68 View Post
Planning to do some serious driving around the bigger cities and adjoining areas looking for a good neighborhood, older house late 1800 early 1900's. Looking to spend 175k or less 1500 or less in taxes would be nice too. Like I said not sure where but we need a serious change here. Need somewhat of a yard though 1/2 acre + would be nice. Maybe someone knows of a house for sale by owner that are not on the realtor dot com site. I also have 2 HS age kids so schools need to be decent 5 or above i'm judging this because the school they go to now is a 5 and they are pretty good here so using that as a reference is all I have to go by. I've read a million posts on here and the different areas, there are a ton of knowledgeable and helpful people out there and believe me the future transplants really appreciate it, and then some. By the way, the wife is from Florida and the kids were born there too, so your only getting one damn yankee.
Are you prepared to do work on the house, and why do you want FSBO-to avoid agent fees I assume.

Try Mooresville-these are a few I found-most need work
327 W Center Ave Mooresville, NC 28115
328 W Center Ave Mooresville, NC 28115
332 W Mclelland Ave Mooresville, NC 28115
803 N Main St Mooresville, NC 28115

Also try Concord-which I don't know that well and the lower prices of some of the historic homes I've seen listed may be a reflection on the area or schools, but I do know that Cabarrus county /Concord has some good school.
This one looks like a gem!
153 Cedar Dr NW Concord, NC 28025
And don't know why this is so cheap
59 Douglas Ave NW Concord, NC 28025

Sorry-lot sizes may be less than .5 acre on some of these.

The historic downtown has some fabulous homes and a small "shopping" area,(and the Concord Hotel????) but Mooresville downtown now offers more in the way of craft shops,restaurants etc
If I was sure about the schools then I would also suggest Statesville or even Salisbury, but even with decent schools you're more than 30 mins from Charlotte. Mooresville is 35 mins in non rush hour.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Are you prepared to do work on the house, and why do you want FSBO-to avoid agent fees I assume.

Try Mooresville-these are a few I found-most need work
327 W Center Ave Mooresville, NC 28115
328 W Center Ave Mooresville, NC 28115
332 W Mclelland Ave Mooresville, NC 28115
803 N Main St Mooresville, NC 28115

Also try Concord-which I don't know that well and the lower prices of some of the historic homes I've seen listed may be a reflection on the area or schools, but I do know that Cabarrus county /Concord has some good school.
This one looks like a gem!
153 Cedar Dr NW Concord, NC 28025
And don't know why this is so cheap
59 Douglas Ave NW Concord, NC 28025

Sorry-lot sizes may be less than .5 acre on some of these.

The historic downtown has some fabulous homes and a small "shopping" area,(and the Concord Hotel????) but Mooresville downtown now offers more in the way of craft shops,restaurants etc
If I was sure about the schools then I would also suggest Statesville or even Salisbury, but even with decent schools you're more than 30 mins from Charlotte. Mooresville is 35 mins in non rush hour.
Anyway to cut down costs is always a good thing. Up here in NY, a lot of people are going the fsbo way. Thanks for the great info on the houses i'll check them out.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times
Whatever you find, be sure you get a certified, bonded, and insured home inspector. We had a friend who bought one of these old homes for a B&B and ended up spending twice as much as originally budgeted to bring the place up to code and to fix a lot of hidden problems.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imad68 View Post
We now live in a 1850's Greek Revival, and love it. Wish I could pack it up and take with us. Would like to stick with an older house but who knows? The builders down there, I have been looking at newer homes too, have been building styles and architecture from years past so that is a plus. We're a looking at finding a place that is possible within a 1/2 hour from a 100k plus city, the bigger the better. We would find a house where pop. is 30k or so where it offers decent shopping and are around some restaurants, if you know what I mean. Clean looking neighborhood, no wheres is 100% safe, I realize that. I just want options and away from the $3500 plus taxes I pay every year for nothing. Im sick of snow in Feb. and March too. We lived in Fl. so the NC summers must be better than Fl summers. Any replies to me are helpful pros and cons!
I live in Kings Mountain. There is a Victorian FSBO on N Piedmont, just north of King St (Bus. 74) . I don't know the price. I'd suggest that you look on realtor.com to see what's listed there. Schools here are good on the Cleveland County side of town. The downtown is being revived so most people do most of their shopping in Gastonia. There are some nice restaurants, though. From the eastern side of town it's about 30 min to the Charlotte airport. Other locations will mean a varied time.

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-02-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte