U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM

239 posts, read 469,050 times
Smile I was there

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_to_USA View Post
My Geordie 2cents....

No one mentioned Jackalopes on 7th St?? Ran by Rob of German heritage and Andy straight from South Shields...... Newcastle/Tyneside for the geographically challenged

I've been here 10 years and ANY competition involving England I've always gone there....it must be popular because literally hundreds think the same way when the likes of the world cup or Euro comps are on.
I remember when we went out to the demise of Portugal there was shoulder to shoulder room only and the bar was nothing more than a sea of red shirts and flags! Definitely the unofficial 'HQ' for the tournament.......
Also they do a 'Full Monty' English breakfast and yes with real Heinz baked beans and HP sauce!

Big Ben give me a break! terrible service and food with a grumpy landlord....I won't go back.....

Alas all bars including Ri-Ra's, Jackalopes and the like won't put qualifyers on the box if Setanta deems certain matches to be on there premium level. Setanta charges exorbitant fees to pubs and bars and I've called around before and no one wants to pay the $$$$ for the few lads and lasses that may attend, so you end up watching it in the privacy of your home and shell out the $25 or so for the game.........just like the Croatia debacle the other week

Howay the lads!

I was at Jackalopes for all the England World Cup Games and could not bear the Portugal game. I was the one screaming like crazy when Rooney was sent off. Had to go outside as I could not handle the stress!!!!
Was planning on having a wonderful time there for Euro 2008 but England won't even be in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM

21 posts, read 30,618 times
>> It is my understanding that Charlotte has one of the best rugby teams in the U.S.? <<

Well, we play in the highest level league in the US.

www.premier-rugby.com

Went 0-6 last Spring in this league, so one of the best, no not right now. But we are a very good established club full of had working young men and women.

We play and do very well against teams in every large city in the NE/South. We have to travel to Atlanta or Washington DC, Philly, NYC or other large metro areas to meet a club as good as us. As amateurs in every sense, this is traveling is costly, time consuming, tons of fun, but hard. We'll be better this Spring and will win a few league games.

We have 3 sides and everyone plays an 80 minute match every week. We have college rugby players, international rugby players, US football players, basketball players, wrestlers, soccer players, high school athletes, white collar, blue collar, all races, all nations, beginners, a womens team, anybody who wants to play this awesome game.

Here's were I coach in S Charlotte that has rugby for kids 6-14. Touch league in the summer. Middle school tackle team starts practicing in Feb!

http://matthewsrugbyclub.com/

Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
lads and lasses, I am in Charlotte on day of the cup final May 17th for a wedding at doubletree hotel in the city, is there anywhere I can get to see the cup final and then will the European cup final be on anywhere on the following wed?

cheers
Stretfordender...
Long live the Busby Babes 6/2/58

Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 PM

116 posts, read 209,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretfordender View Post
lads and lasses, I am in Charlotte on day of the cup final May 17th for a wedding at doubletree hotel in the city, is there anywhere I can get to see the cup final and then will the European cup final be on anywhere on the following wed?

cheers
Stretfordender...
Sadly the Setanta stranglehold of this premium game (and many others) is more than likely beyond the reach of Jackalopes, Ri-Ra's etc because of the high $$$ charges pubs and restaurants have to pay to put the game on.

I've been through this time and again over the past 10 years. They generally just can't justify the cost unless you have a big tournament such as the world cup where it seems every Englishman and his dog attends for multiple games.
Best bet is to make a friend or two and go to someones home and chip in for the cost of pay per view (again from Setanta and at a lower cost for private home viewing)

FYI to all, the Charlotte rugby club has paid for and are putting on all the six nation games if anyone is interested....

Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 PM

991 posts, read 1,283,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretfordender View Post

cheers
Stretfordender...
Since it's a pay-per-view game, not everywhere will be showing the FA Cup final (it can be v expensive for commercial establishments) Assuming that one of the 'big teams' make it to the final, I presume that Jackelope Jack's will buy it & that'll be the place to watch.

ESPN have the tv rights to the Champions League, so basically anywhere that has a television will be able to show that game.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 70,757 times
I am neither english or a soccer fan however this topic got my attention and hopefully i can piggy back on it. I am a big micro/craft brew fan and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea on the brewpub scene in charlotte in general? Any cool places that serve better than american lite beer?
I also like to do my own homebrewing, does anyone know if there is a good supply shop in town?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,745,700 times
I haven't actually been inside the Galway Hooker in Cornelius yet. I was impressed that the whole building was built in Ireland, disassembled, and shipped to Cornelius by its owners. It looks very authentic from the windows. Look forward to being a regular custome (probably) after I move there.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 AM

7 posts, read 15,835 times
Thanks for the info vindaloo , I love a bit of history I'll have to check it out.
I like Ri Ra ! Just for the drinks and atmosphere. never have eaten there though.

Last edited by KrisBuno; 02-10-2008 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 2,176 times
Where does the Celtic Supporters Club meet in Charlotte- do they show the SPL games?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 AM

3,186 posts, read 5,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticalways1 View Post
Where does the Celtic Supporters Club meet in Charlotte- do they show the SPL games?
I was going to say as a Motherwell supporter did not know there where any SPL supporters clubs here in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte