U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,361,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
People educated in nutrition take better care of their health and that results in a slim body.
Most likely they are very selective on what food they eat (stay away from "enhanced" food) and exercise in regular basis.

"Mens sana in corpore sano" translates from Latin as "a healthy mind in a healthy body".

Kudos to them!
I am in to yoga and a healthy lifestyle, so if that's how they maintain, that's fine. But, if by "healthy" you mean plastic body parts, that's not my scene, and really no better than a reality tv show. Blech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,361,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post
We live in Lake Norman and since I married a red head, we spend no time on the water :-). He burns to a crisp in 10 seconds. Ha. As long as you get involved in the things you listed above (sewing, volunteering, etc...), you'll find "normal" people. I've found the best girlfriends of my life in Charlotte, and only one is what I would call "skinny". :-).
Thank you, I figured as much I tried to rep you again, but I have to spread some around first...

Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
I know some of the women you are evidently referring to and they work hard to take care of themselves. I agree that this is easier to do if you have family wealth, if only b/c you can take off time to go to the gym, have a personal trainer, go to spas, etc - b/c you can pay for the childcare even tho you don't work. And you can also afford cosmetic surgery . . . but the ladies I personally know who are thin and rich didn't get that way b/c of surgery . . . sure, they may have had some nip and tuck . . . but the lifestyle and daily regimen is why they remain thin. They work very very hard at being active, eating healthy food, making sure they incorporate several types of activity into their lives to burn off calories, strengthen muscles and stay fit.

I also think the age group of these ladies has a lot to do with it. I didn't have weight problems til I hit 50. Not saying that you can't stay slim and trim after 50 - just saying if you have a regimen in place that you have continued for 15 or 20 years, you will be much more likely to successfully fight the bulge after 50. Other than walking, I never had to think much about my weight, and therefore it was easy to slip into those extra pounds.

I don't think the area is full of folks trying to keep up with anyone. Now, I have heard this assertion many times over the last decade - that the women around LKN are snobs, trophy wives and anorexic, but I think this is a stereotype.

And anyway - what is wrong with being gorgeous? More power to anyone who can pull it off - especially after 50. However, I think there are more folks who are struggling and in the size 14s than the size 4s - everywhere in the country, lol.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhappy View Post
I moved to Lake Norman and all the women in my neighhborhood are skinny. Seriously they are all size 2's, 4's and 6's. I asked another neighbor who might the be an 8 and she said they've all had tummy tucks and boob jobs. Seriously, how do they do it? They all have kids and some work.
Where do you live?
Lake Norman covers a huge area.
Personally I don't think being a size 6 is skinny unless you're over 5'10' tall tall.Have you asked them what their BMIs are? Far better measure.

Having a tummy tuck or a boob job will only make you look better (matter of opinion , ?but if I had the money to get my boobs back to pre-childbirth shape and substance, I would do it and BTW -I wouldn't breast feed either-again a personal thing) or "skinny" if the rest of your body matches up.
I don't see how tummy tucks and boob jobs equal skinny?

Realistically the only way you can have a good overall body shape and tone is to exercise and eat sensibly, but plastic surgery can help with some of the things that it's very difficult to improve/change naturally eg spaniels ears and the "overhang" that can occur after C sections or excess skin that remains after someone has lost a dramatic amount of weight.

We live in the area and I don't believe any of the women on our street(or area) fit your stereotype.

The most false looking women I've seen in the Charlotte area have been at South Park Mall.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM

2,082 posts, read 3,566,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I am in to yoga and a healthy lifestyle, so if that's how they maintain, that's fine. But, if by "healthy" you mean plastic body parts, that's not my scene, and really no better than a reality tv show. Blech.
Healthy is the opposite of plastic parts, I despise anything not natural.
I'm talking about nutrition and exercise, which results in a healthy mind as well.

I do appreciate people who put the effort into looking better (no artificial enhancements), since I know that they work harder on all aspects of their life. Plus you cannot really take care of someone else unless you can take care of yourself first.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 AM

35,121 posts, read 39,987,519 times
"didn't get that way b/c of surgery . . . sure, they may have had some nip and tuck "

This makes no sense at all, the second part of this post completely contradicts the first so, did they or did they NOT have surgery ie: nip and tuck?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,713,298 times
I guess those gals average out the larger girls in my 'hood.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 AM

515 posts, read 905,846 times
They eat a healthy diet. Go vegan and your weight will take care of itself and you'll be healthier to boot....look for books by Joel Fuhrman and Neil Barnard...it's not a "diet" it's healthy eating

Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Look at OP's first post, and then consider how that fits in with this thread.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 AM

467 posts, read 858,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Healthy is the opposite of plastic parts, I despise anything not natural.
I'm talking about nutrition and exercise, which results in a healthy mind as well.

I do appreciate people who put the effort into looking better (no artificial enhancements), since I know that they work harder on all aspects of their life. Plus you cannot really take care of someone else unless you can take care of yourself first.
I think this is why it was a good move for my wife and I to live out in the country instead of the LKN zone like we almost did. My wife and I met in college, we both have advanced degrees, and she's a businesswoman just like I am, not because we wouldn't be well off if only one of us worked, but because we both have passions in life. We both eat healthy and exercise to be healthy, but neither of us could give a concern whatsoever to body "image." I don't expect a woman to jump through any more hoops than a guy needs to in order to please whatever ethos is out there that tells women they need to look a certain way, and that includes "peer pressure." (p.s if there's peer pressure, you need to find new peers!) As long as we are healthy and fit and being good to ourselves so we can hopefully live longer, happier lives together, that's the bottom line. When my wife wasn't working, she didn't spend time thinking about how she could marginally get hotter - she had intellectual/social interests outside of work that she took the opportunity to pursue. Having the day free from an occupation means you can read literature, or partake in financial investments, or volunteer in community groups. What we like most about each other is that the conversation started in college and has never stopped - I love being able to observe the world and think and feel with her. That's more fulfilling than her thinking she needs to augment a feature or two to feel good about herself or prove herself to others, or for me to think that such endeavors would be worth an iota of her time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte