Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 AM

9 posts, read 16,690 times

Advertisements

Hi I have a few questions about Marvin Elementary School. I am looking for information from someone who's child (children) currently attend this school.
I will be visiting the school in a few weeks but wanted to get an insiders perspective first. I understand that there have been some budget cuts in the last few years. In a typical day for a third grader what occurs? Are there specials? ie art,music,science,foreign language,computers,gym? If there are, how often? What is the average class size? I have been on the great schools website and I do see that this school is a high achieving school. Is great emphasis put on excelling on the tests? Thank you in advance. I have found this website to be extremely informative thanks to everyone for providing such an amazing amount of information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 AM

How about anyone with children attending an elementary school in Union County. I would think that the curriculum would be the same for all the elementary schools? Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
There have been "budget cuts" everywhere - sign of the times. So, the answer to your question will be true anywhere. These cuts include the loss of staff (i.e. aides, assistants, etc), but it is what it is. We all want less spending.

If I had to offer some specific advice, don't only concentrate on Elem when looking at schools. It's much easier to find a good Elem then it is a good High School where you want to look at a key statistic like graduation rate. All too often you see a "great" Elem feeding into a struggling HS.

Here's a good site for report cards where you can get excellent info and stats...

NC School Report Cards

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
The budget cuts were steep and impacted the entire county.

Having said that, Marvin is very affluent and I've yet to meet an individual not satisfied with the schools.

I've had three children in Union County schools (not Marvin) and overall, I'm very pleased.

If you'd like more insight, I'd suggest joining Union County Mommies (an online forum) and ask there. You will get lots of information from the perspective you seek.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 AM

Thanks MikeyKid! I read all of your older posts and that is why I was concentrating on Marvin Elementary. Ultimately the children attending Marvin Elementary end up at Marvin Ridge High School, which gets high ratings.
SaraLee I will check out the mommies group but I think you may have to live in the area to join. I would still love any opinions from current parents. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Our kids go to Sandy Ridge & Marvin Ridge Middle and we are extremely pleased with these schools. The ASG program is demanding and keeps them busy, while preparing them for the future.
Great teachers and parents all around!

Go for it, you will not regret!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
specials every every week, once a day. Music, Art, PE, Computers, and "media"- which is a replacement for no spanish which was taken away this year. Great teachers for specials, we like them all. class sizes are a little bigger this year, I would say 21-25 students. Although there have been big budget cuts across the board in the county, Marvin has very strong parental involvement, which helps in purchasing high tech items for classrooms that otherwise we would have to do without. Administration is great as well. I've also yet to meet anybody that is not pleased with the school.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Just to give more info about Marvin area:

http://www.usa.com/marvin-nc.htm

Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
and some more on Marvin...

Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012) - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte