U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Great post. He does not live in Charlotte and knows nothing about the schools, businesses, commercial vaccancies, the culture of the people (Most Important), the neighborhoods, outer suburbs (many of which are rural and can be found 10 miles outside of Uptown), etc....

And now it is revealed that he may not know about the DC area (where he supposedly is from). This is the same guy who said Atlanta only had 2 businesses/industries (Coca Cola and Ted Turner). I really despise when people lie on here. I recall another poster (qcdreamin) who told folks that U City had an exciting night life, from the university area up to Concord. People go on to City Data for honest comments and feedback, so please stop lying and being so emotional, claiming educational superiority. tonysengineer, whatever "school" you went to is not on par with mine (NYU, MBA)
How did anything he say have to do with me not knowing DC? What "lies" am I saying? Woodbridge is 80 minutes out from the Commercial Business District. Nova isnt as simple as mileage. 10 miles in certain corridors take an hour. That makes it an outer suburb, but there are still further suburbs beyond that. Understating MY point that the DC area has developed in the Freeway style of urban land use, which has been the detriment of many 20th century city models creating sprawl that makes Charlotte look like a utopian planning design. You can believe it or not, I dont really care to explain it to you.

The fact that those rural areas are 10 miles out of Uptown PROVES MY POINT! The tightening of Charlottes land use belt has created RURAL areas 10 miles outside of the city. Where as in NOVA this lack of control over suburban sprawl has created nothing but acre after acre of residential sprawl for a 50 mile radius around the city. You are being ridiculous and not even understanding my statements. Im not even going to try to explain it because you are dead set on countering it with ridiculous statements.

As far as I-85, they really shouldn't do it but I believe part of the justification was for airport ease of use as well. Regardless, I think this is a step in the wrong direction for Charlotte. I would call it far from the type of sprawl promoting behavior that other jurisdictions in this country endure however, as these jurisdictions don't balance road widenings with adequate other mitigation measures such as better bike lanes and transit. The point being, Charlotte remains EARLY in the design phase and capable of changing their future practices much easier than the other top 25 cities in the US, they could shun what made them a better planned city in the first place and revert to the 20th century model too.

PS: Fact. MBA's don't really help in the discussion of city infrastructure and land use. Nor does acting like a petulant child. Not that I have anyone in mind when stating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM

5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Quote:
Great post. He does not live in Charlotte and knows nothing about the schools, businesses, commercial vaccancies, the culture of the people (Most Important), the neighborhoods, outer suburbs (many of which are rural and can be found 10 miles outside of Uptown), etc....

And now it is revealed that he may not know about the DC area (where he supposedly is from). This is the same guy who said Atlanta only had 2 businesses/industries (Coca Cola and Ted Turner). I really despise when people lie on here. I recall another poster (qcdreamin) who told folks that U City had an exciting night life, from the university area up to Concord. People go on to City Data for honest comments and feedback, so please stop lying and being so emotional, claiming educational superiority. tonysengineer, whatever "school" you went to is not on par with mine (NYU, MBA)
On a similar note and to get back on the topic of the OP...do you like Atlanta? You were complaining about the sprawl in Charlotte, but you're okay with it in Atlanta?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
How did anything he say have to do with me not knowing DC? What "lies" am I saying? Woodbridge is 80 minutes out from the Commercial Business District. Nova isnt as simple as mileage. 10 miles in certain corridors take an hour. That makes it an outer suburb, but there are still further suburbs beyond that. Understating MY point that the DC area has developed in the Freeway style of urban land use, which has been the detriment of many 20th century city models creating sprawl that makes Charlotte look like a utopian planning design. You can believe it or not, I dont really care to explain it to you.

As far as I-85, they really shouldn't do it but I believe part of the justification was for airport ease of use as well. Regardless, I think this is a step in the wrong direction for Charlotte. I would call it far from the type of sprawl promoting behavior that other jurisdictions in this country endure however, as these jurisdictions don't balance road widenings with adequate other mitigation measures such as better bike lanes and transit. The point being, Charlotte remains EARLY in the design phase and capable of changing their future practices much easier than the other top 25 cities in the US, they could shun what made them a better planned city in the first place and revert to the 20th century model too.
Agree with your second paragraph for the most part. But you seem pretty confident in the Charlotte city planners. To be honest I'm not that in tune with the politics around here, but it seems like there are many people around that are not nearly as confident as you.

And I still don't understand how you can call DC a highway-oriented city when I think it has the most ridden subway system in the country. One of the first questions I always hear people ask when talking about housing in the DC area is how close is it to the Metro.

I know it's not as simple as mileage, as I mentioned that the commutes from some of the places 25 miles or less from DC could be an hour or more. But it sounded like you were making it about mileage when talking about making the cities more reliant on mass transit (since in theory by using mass transit it should take about the same time if coming from the same distance). But it's not as simple as mileage in Charlotte either (although of course to a lesser extent than DC). Cornelius is only 20 miles from uptown Charlotte, yet it can take an hour to get there in rush hour. 20 miles east is almost Midland, which would probably be about an hour in rush hour as well. Even Monroe is only 25 miles away from uptown yet would be over an hour.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM

If Charlotte were the nation's capital, I'm sure it would look exactly like NoVA.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,315,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
On a similar note and to get back on the topic of the OP...do you like Atlanta? You were complaining about the sprawl in Charlotte, but you're okay with it in Atlanta?
I do not like the sprawl or the livein one area for 4 years and then migrate to the new "hot spot" mentality. It has bad long term consequences. It creates a cycle of declining areas. Especially in a southern city. That said, I like Atlanta for the night life and the fact there is so much to do. If one lives in the right area and has a great job, the experience would be outstanding. But the nature of sprawl and the expanding population further and further outside of the city is not good.

One of the problems for Atlanta (and Atlanta -metro) is that it is not a city like Chicago, NY, etc where it is a given that the public school is bad. In the South, schools are a priority. Especially in suburban areas. So the nature of sprawl and let's move to the next new hot spot mentality creates blight - blighted suburbs, etc.... See U City. See South Meck HS. I could name more. And I could name many many more in Atlanta metro.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,744,006 times
Quote:

Wow, i love it. Charlotte DOES have nightlife in University City and Concord! I'm sure the 300,000 resident in this part of the city would agree with me. I have finally realized that you hate EVERYTHING about Charlotte and bash it with YOUR exagerations EVERY chance you get! If u changed your attitude and got OFF THE COMPUTER you just might actually FIND some of the nightlife that makes Atlanta other so much a better city than Charlotte LMAO

Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Wow, i love it. Charlotte DOES have nightlife in University City and Concord! I'm sure the 300,000 resident in this part of the city would agree with me. I have finally realized that you hate EVERYTHING about Charlotte and bash it with YOUR exagerations EVERY chance you get! If u changed your attitude and got OFF THE COMPUTER you just might actually FIND some of the nightlife that makes Atlanta other so much a better city than Charlotte LMAO
Please point out the night life. And I lived in U City off Mallard Creek. I have several friends there. Please point out the night life. Hickory Tavern anyone.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

The fact that those rural areas are 10 miles out of Uptown PROVES MY POINT! The tightening of Charlottes land use belt has created RURAL areas 10 miles outside of the city. Where as in NOVA this lack of control over suburban sprawl has created nothing but acre after acre of residential sprawl for a 50 mile radius around the city. You are being ridiculous and not even understanding my statements. Im not even going to try to explain it because you are dead set on countering it with ridiculous statements.

PS: Fact. MBA's don't really help in the discussion of city infrastructure and land use. Nor does acting like a petulant child. Not that I have anyone in mind when stating that.
Do you live in Charlotte?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,147,769 times
Quote:
Please point out the night life. And I lived in U City off Mallard Creek. I have several friends there. Please point out the night life. Hickory Tavern anyone.
Nightlife is a subjective "term" and the extent of options available in U-city might suffice for many people or what is necessary for their day-to-day needs.

I wouldn't compare the nightlife in Miami or Vegas to that of Atlanta, then dump on Atlanta for not having a trendy beach, action-filled strip, gambling or nightly shows. Not everyone is excited by Atlanta's "nightlife" but that's a matter of personal preference.

At this stage in my life/career, I'm fine with the options here but generally speaking, fun people are fun people no matter where they are located. Atlanta's not on my list of to-do "party" towns compared to Miami, New Orleans or Vegas but always a cool place to visit for other reasons.

Atlanta is much larger than Charlotte which typically equates with more-to-do and available night life options. Charlotte is much larger than Fayetteville, NC thus the more-to-do in Charlotte night life priniciple is transitive in nature because of the make-up of the cities. Unless a city absolutely presents itself as a party place or organically developed into one for many reasons, the size of of the city generally dictates the happenings. Atlanta (much like Charlotte) aren't organically party towns but have worked to change such perceptions. Atlanta is much more seasoned in the process.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 04-08-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,744,006 times
Quote:
Lol i lived in University City for most of my life and if Hickory Tavern is YOUR only idea of nightlife than there is no hope for you. Do you mean dance clubs and lounges or just nightlife? I'm sorry i can't name EVERY thing to do at night, i am too busy having fun. There area plenty of restaurants,bars, lounges, strip clubs, Movies from the lake to Concord Mills to University Blvd..Man you really need to get out more. Please check out Creative Loafing, Charlotte's Got Alot website, and others. Please stop bashing and get out more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte