U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 04:05 PM

3,782 posts, read 3,295,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It goes without saying that suburbia is suburbia no matter where you go. Did that even need to be said? Obviously the discussion went beyond that, but okay...I guess. In that case, there's not much of a difference between Charlotte and any other metro in the country, which renders just about any and all comparisons meaningless; after all, everybody's regular day-to-day routine is essentially the same whether you're in NYC, DC, Philly, LA, SF, Chicago, Charlotte, Houston, Denver, etc.--get up, go to work, drop kids off at school, get off work, pick kids up from school, go grocery shopping, go to yoga, drop kids off at soccer practice, pick kids up from soccer practice, eat dinner, go to bed, rinse and repeat. That's saying nothing. But I'm assuming you didn't bother to read the original post which was asking for a comparison of the cities and their amenities from the standpoint of a visitor.

And no, the differences between the two metros aren't simply a case of Atlanta being bigger. I can name metros larger than Charlotte that don't have several of those characteristics that Atlanta has, but I'm sure you know that.

And yes, more Atlantans use mass transit than Charlotteans. I can't believe someone who comes across as otherwise reasonable would even say something like that.

I was speaking in terms of percentage to metro Iím not sure Atlanta, in terms of percentage, take mass transit anymore than metro Charlotte, as a percentage. But I wasnít speaking in definitive terms.

I would say the differences, culturally, geographically, lay out, regional chains, weather, etc between the cities of LA, NYC and DC are notably different than the differences between Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh.

Taking Washington as an example, a metro in identical size to ATL.... has city limits less than half that of ATLís yet has a much bigger population. Now thatís a staunch difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I was speaking in terms of percentage to metro Iím not sure Atlanta, in terms of percentage, take mass transit anymore than metro Charlotte, as a percentage. But I wasnít speaking in definitive terms.

I would say the differences, culturally, geographically, lay out, regional chains, weather, etc between the cities of LA, NYC and DC are notably different than the differences between Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh.

Taking Washington as an example, a metro in identical size to ATL.... has city limits less than half that of ATLís yet has a much bigger population. Now thatís a staunch difference.
DC isn't that much different; the overwhelming majority of residents in that metro live outside of the central city, just like Atlanta. The percentages (since that's the metric you wish to use) are very similar, which means folks in all three of these metros are living very similar lives. Geography among all three is pretty similar, there is overalp in regional chains (and there isn't a huge difference in the different regional chains), weather isn't too different, similar sprawl patterns in the 'burbs, etc. etc. etc.

But anyway, your point had to do with the similarities of the suburban way of life in Atlanta and Charlotte. That's the case for the majority of the country so I'm still not sure what the point was.

But getting back to Atlanta and Charlotte, I've lived in both metros--in their suburbs no less--and have had distinctly different experiences in both. They weren't majorly different (nor has my experience in metro DC been majorly different), but certainly distinct. You really can't say what your life would be like living in a certain place unless you've actually lived there--unless you're just a homebody or don't like venturing more than 20 minutes beyond where you live. Thankfully I'm not that type of person.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with what the thread was originally about. I guess you just couldn't resist throwing a few jabs at Atlanta.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
DC isn't that much different; the overwhelming majority of residents in that metro live outside of the central city, just like Atlanta. The percentages (since that's the metric you wish to use) are very similar, which means folks in all three of these metros are living very similar lives. Geography among all three is pretty similar, there is overalp in regional chains (and there isn't a huge difference in the different regional chains), weather isn't too different, etc. etc. etc.

But anyway, your point had to do with the similarities of the suburban way of life in Atlanta and Charlotte. That's the case for the majority of the country.

But getting back to Atlanta and Charlotte, I've lived in both metros and have had distinctly different experiences in both. They weren't majorly different (nor has my experience in metro DC been majorly different), but certainly distinct.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with what the thread was originally about. I guess you just couldn't resist throwing a few jabs at Atlanta.

No. I truly believe Atlanta & Charlotte are very similar.

And I believe Atlanta is very different from DC.

Yes, suburbs are suburbs. But the cities of Charlotte and Atlanta are as similar as cities can get, IMO. And I don’t really think the city of Washington is like The city of Atlanta. I think the city of Charlotte is more reminiscent of Atlanta than smaller Nashville. I think ATL have more of a similar vibe than other southern cities.... Memphis? Nashville? New Orleans? Richmond? Savannah? I think all 3 cities - Raleigh, Atlanta, Charlotte - are overall fairly similar.

Raleigh and Atlanta have similar city limit sizes . You’ll notice their density is very Similar

Old 09-10-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
But the cities of Charlotte and Atlanta are as similar as cities can get, IMO.
Actually that's not true (and I'd probably argue that the city of Atlanta is more like Birmingham than Charlotte), but okay. If that's what you believe despite some significant key differences--differences which are pretty noticeable when you've actually lived in both places--then I've got nothing else. Again, I acknowledge many of the similarities they have but you are completely dismissive of their differences which aren't simply attributable to size.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-10-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Actually that's not true (and I'd probably argue that the city of Atlanta is more like Birmingham than Charlotte), but okay. If that's what you believe despite some significant key differences--differences which are pretty noticeable when you've actually lived in both places--then I've got nothing else. Again, I acknowledge many of the similarities they have but you are completely dismissive of their differences which aren't simply attributable to size.
I have family in ATL and my email address has ďAtlantaĒ in it because Iíve admired Atlanta for a while (Iím not saying having Atlanta in my email address makes me an expert btw, lol). But yeah. My opinion is not going to change. Because I too have had intimate experience with both and I have always admired their sinilrities and thatís how I formed my opinion. Through personal experience.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Just reread some of this. A few posters kept making the city limits point. The city of Charlotte is bigger, But Atlanta’s Metro is bigger.

By this logic, Jacksonville is larger than Miami, DC... and even Charlotte. The metro area is what gives life to the city limits in most cities, especially southern ones. City limit population matters very little in these sort comparisons, I don’t know why this is lost on some people.
So you think that Atlanta is in the same league as Philadelphia because of metro size. Inspite of Philadelphia being a city with a population of over1.5 million. ROFLMAO.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-10-2018 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
So you think that Atlanta is in the same league as Philadelphia because of metro size. Inspite of Philadelphia being a city with a population of overb1.5 million. ROFLMAO.
Of course they are in the same league; city population is pretty arbitrary. Do you think San Antonio is in Philly's league? Do you think Charlotte is in San Francisco's league? Do you think Raleigh is in Atlanta's league? Come on now...

Old 09-10-2018, 06:30 PM

899 posts, read 764,348 times
I’ve got to second the ROFLMAO. Atlanta may be in the same league as Philadelphia with regards to population and GDP but that’s about it.

And from my perspective, the suburbs of any city only dull it down. The core is the only place that matters.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I have family in ATL and my email address has ďAtlantaĒ in it because Iíve admired Atlanta for a while (Iím not saying having Atlanta in my email address makes me an expert btw, lol). But yeah. My opinion is not going to change. Because I too have had intimate experience with both and I have always admired their sinilrities and thatís how I formed my opinion. Through personal experience.
Hmmm...so in your earlier post you said you weren't impressed with Atlanta, but now you're an admirer. Not sure how that works but okay.

Again, yes they have several similarities (and most that you list are a bit superficial) but they also have several key differences and honestly it's hard to see how you can be as familiar with Atlanta as you claim to be and can so easily gloss over those differences. Charlotte has nothing like the Bluff, English Ave/Vine City, Bankhead, Sweet Auburn, a gay district like Midtown, a tourist district like Pemberton Place (which includes COP, GA Aquarium, WOC, Civil and Human Rights Museum, College Football Hall of Fame, CNN Center, SkyView, Children's Museum), Fairlie-Poplar, south downtown, Five Points/Underground (which includes a large homeless/'drifter' population), Atlantic Station, Ponce City Market, Glenwood Park, urban campuses like GSU and GA Tech, several predominantly Black middle/upper middle class neighborhoods and suburbs, Buford Hwy, very prominent TV/film/music industries, Black Gay Pride, DragonCon, etc. I mean it's pretty disingenuous to minimize or disregard all of that like it doesn't matter and say outside of all of that, they are identical twins.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:35 PM

I think it’s naive to use any single set of metrics. As I’m sure mutiny would agree.

I also use common sense. To me, Philly is a larger city. You can cite numbers and statistics all day long, but at the end of the day, Philly is just much larger than ATL in reality.

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...50/PHILA-2.jpg

And FYI... you should see how the other regions feel about ATL. It ain’t pretty. I do admire ATL. But I see ATL for what it is. A sunbelt auto centric, low density sprawling city, or as some posters from other regions call it, a giant suburb... aka a larger version of CLT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte