U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM
 
65 posts, read 27,287 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Ha! Had a friend recently move from Charlotte to Atlanta (can't wait to move back). He hates it there...says it's ghetto, ghetto, redneck, traffic, then housewives of Atlanta...then more ghetto, ghetto, then housewives of Atlanta. We all have friends with opinions...lol.
So your friend prefers a small ghetto with rednecks to a big one, lol. Didn't Charlotte have a major riot not too long ago? Maybe your friend was in Atlanta then, my friend was in Charlotte then. Been a while since Atlanta's had a riot.

Atlanta still ain't as churchy as Charlotte tho, that again, according to my friend. Maybe one day Charlotte will be big enough to have a Housewives show, what would that look like, lacquered up hair women wearing NASCAR shirts sitting in church with bibles in hand?...lol

Yes we all have friends with opinions, that's what this forum mostly is.

My friend did visit the Triangle area a couple of times when he lived in Charlotte, he liked Raleigh-Durham. He said that area was less churchy, more educated, less rednecks and better food. Another thing he said about Charlotte was a bunch of chain restaurants. So it wasn't a total NC slam, he just didn't like Charlotte. He eventually moved to Boston which he loves, he said that's what the Triangle area reminded him of, a smaller Boston.

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-13-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Ha! Had a friend recently move from Charlotte to Atlanta (can't wait to move back). He hates it there...says it's ghetto, ghetto, redneck, traffic, then housewives of Atlanta...then more ghetto, ghetto, then housewives of Atlanta. We all have friends with opinions...lol.
In other words, Atlanta is too Black for him (and I realize there's a good chance your friend is also Black).

But it's not exactly uncommon for people to pine for the place they moved from shortly after moving to another city. Years ago when I moved from Charlotte to Atlanta, I missed Charlotte a lot too in the beginning and traveled back on the weekends sometimes. It takes time to establish a social circle and get your bearings in a new city, even one that's not too far away or where you may already know some people. At this point, I've moved around enough to know how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
846 posts, read 583,941 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
So you think that Atlanta is in the same league as Philadelphia because of metro size. Inspite of Philadelphia being a city with a population of over1.5 million. ROFLMAO.
Uh, yeah I do. I think Atlanta (along with other sunbelt cities) are surpassing it. Make a separate thread about this if you want, my Point was that city limits donít matter much. If Atlanta annexed Fulton, and half of DeKalb, thereíd be over 1 Million ppl in the city of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,816 posts, read 3,314,124 times
Reputation: 2709
PHL only has 1 more sq. Mile of land than ATL and has over 3x the population though...

PHL is a very large city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
846 posts, read 583,941 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
PHL only has 1 more sq. Mile of land than ATL and has over 3x the population though...

PHL is a very large city
So is Atlanta. Again, make another thread in city vs city on this topic. Philly is a much denser city, therefore more overall pedestrian activity. But not much larger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,816 posts, read 3,314,124 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
So is Atlanta. Again, make another thread in city vs city on this topic. Philly is a much denser city, therefore more overall pedestrian activity. But not much larger city.

How can you claim that PHL isnt much larger when PHL is literally OVER 3x larger and they have the same city limit land area???


You canít in one sentence say Charlotteís numbers are inflated due to arbitrary city limit borders and then claim Atlanta is just as large as Philadelphia if you doubled or more arbitrary city limits for ATL... You canít have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
846 posts, read 583,941 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
How can you claim that PHL isnt much larger when PHL is literally OVER 3x larger and they have the same city limit land area???


You canít in one sentence say Charlotteís numbers are inflated due to arbitrary city limit borders and then claim Atlanta is just as large as Philadelphia if you doubled or more arbitrary city limits for ATL... You canít have it both ways.
Thatís not the logical implication. People bring up the land issue with Charlotte because the amount of land annexed does technically inflate their city limit population in a misleading way kinda like a smaller Jacksonville , some Charlotte folk will use this to boost their city as being a huge city, itís not though. No one would call this out if CLT had numerous densely populated suburbs surrounding it on each side, but it doesnít.

Whereas with Atlanta and Philly, Yes their city limits is the same size while philly having three times more folk, but we have 500k ppl right outside our city limits remaining in Fulton County, almost 1 million in Gwinnet, and 2 other counties that merge with the city from different regions each with 750k residents. Then Clayton which is adjacent to south Fulton with 300k.

So, while more people reside in Phillyís core, itís not analogous to the Charlotte/Atlanta debate because general areas continuous with the cities populate around the same amount of people. Philly is just way more dense in its CBDs. Atlanta is just built differently throughout its metro area.

By your logic, Denver and Baltimore are significantly bigger than Atlanta.. and Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Thatís not the logical implication. People bring up the land issue with Charlotte because the amount of land annexed does technically inflate their city limit population in a misleading way kinda like a smaller Jacksonville , some Charlotte folk will use this to boost their city as being a huge city, itís not though. No one would call this out if CLT had numerous densely populated suburbs surrounding it on each side, but it doesnít.

Whereas with Atlanta and Philly, Yes their city limits is the same size while philly having three times more folk, but we have 500k ppl right outside our city limits remaining in Fulton County, almost 1 million in Gwinnet, and 2 other counties that merge with the city from different regions each with 750k residents. Then Clayton which is adjacent to south Fulton with 300k.

So, while more people reside in Phillyís core, itís not analogous to the Charlotte/Atlanta debate because general areas continuous with the cities populate around the same amount of people. Philly is just way more dense in its CBDs. Atlanta is just built differently throughout its metro area.

By your logic, Denver and Baltimore are significantly bigger than Atlanta.. and Miami.
He was talking about city limits only. Of course, a city's influence extends beyond its borders but there's no denying that Philly is a bigger, denser city than Atlanta (and Charlotte). That's just a fact.

No one is denying that metro/urbanized Atlanta is bigger than metro/urbanized Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
846 posts, read 583,941 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He was talking about city limits only. Of course, a city's influence extends beyond its borders but there's no denying that Philly is a bigger, denser city than Atlanta (and Charlotte). That's just a fact.

No one is denying that metro/urbanized Atlanta is bigger than metro/urbanized Charlotte.
Itís a denser City, for sure. And technically 3 times larger city-limit wise, but when I (and others in everyday life) refer to the city, we mean the metro area. The urbanized area, probably. Philly isnít leaps and bounds beyond Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,816 posts, read 3,314,124 times
Reputation: 2709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He was talking about city limits only. Of course, a city's influence extends beyond its borders but there's no denying that Philly is a bigger, denser city than Atlanta (and Charlotte). That's just a fact.

No one is denying that metro/urbanized Atlanta is bigger than metro/urbanized Charlotte.
^ This.


Meep,

You mentioned about ATL would be just as populous as the city of PHL (which as stated, is the same sq. Mile as ATL) if you counted all of Fulton County (534 sq. Mile) and half of Dekalb (271 sq. Miles$


All of Fulton and ď1/2Ē of Dekalb would still be less populous than PHLís 134 sq. Mile city limit vs. a 669 Sq. Limit for Atlanta (if it were all of Fulton and we just divided the #ís in 2 for Dekalb)



And the only reason Iím pointing this out is because youíre talking about boosters ďinflatingĒ numbers. City limits arenít meant for bragging rights. Thatís not why they are created or drawn. Itís all about controlling growth & $$$.

Just as Charlotte boosters can misconstrue the city population size, the detractors misconstrue it intentionally also. Claim itís extremely low dense, etc etc



^ Literally the green area is a wholeeee lot of nothing. Extremely suburban, and rural in the entire western portion and actually a lot of it may just be undeveloped forest...

To me, the ďrealĒ Charlotte - or the actual city part of Charlotte is all of the yellow inside 485, the pink and 1/2 the purple. Itís by far the most populated area.

And itís a good thing most of it was annexed because the city can better manage sprawl etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top