U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 09:08 AM

65 posts, read 26,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And Atlanta is an oversized parking lot compared to Philadelphia.

Go out to the main forums how everyone rags on ATL for not being a “real city” versus a giant suburb.

You should be convincing big boy cities like Philadelphia or Washington DC that ATL is not just a giant parking lot, not Charlotteans

CSA ATL has to be like, 5x or more the land area of CSA PHL

CSA PHL

So in other words, Charlotte’s a medium sized parking lot and Atlanta is the worlds largest parking lot

Philadelphia is much much larger than ATL. Yes, 1/2 the state of GA is similar in size to the 7 or so counties of MSA PHL.... so?

Ok, using your argument. If you search "Metrolina Charlotte wikipedia" you will find a map of the Charlotte CSA. If you were to overlay that map on northern Georgia it would cover roughly the same amount of real estate as the Atlanta CSA does and the Charlotte region is less than half the population of the Atlanta region.

That would make Charlotte, not Atlanta, the worlds largest parking lot.

FURTHERMORE: Using the maps of the Philly metro and Atlanta metro you provided, I took the towns in the furtherest points of both and searched the distance. Here are the results:

Atlanta metro: Calhoun to Thomaston = 120 miles
Philly metro: Cecil, Md to Bethlehem, Penn = 130 miles

^ Roughly the same population covering roughly the same area. ^

Now using the map of the Charlotte CSA from wikipedia furtherest points:

Chesterfield SC to Taylorsville, NC = 129 miles

^ parking lot ^

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-20-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM

3,788 posts, read 3,297,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
Ok, using your argument. If you search "Metrolina Charlotte wikipedia" you will find a map of the Charlotte metro. If you were to overlay that map on northern Georgia it would cover roughly the same amount of real estate as the Atlanta metro does and the Charlotte region is less than half the population of the Atlanta region. That would make Charlotte, not Atlanta, the worlds largest parking lot.

FURTHERMORE: Using the maps of the Philly metro and Atlanta metro you provided, I took the towns in the furtherest points of both and searched the distance. Here are the results:

Roughly the same area.

My only argument:

Atlanta is a bigger Charlotte. Especially in respect to build out/suburban dominated/auto-oriented

Your argument is.... I guess you’re just trying to convince people Atlanta is as urban as Philly and other big boy cities.

You talk that Charlotte’s size is only due to large geographic areas. Atlanta is an even worse offender...

You compare metro ATL to PHL yet ignore that ATL has 4x the land area.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
My only argument:

Atlanta is a bigger Charlotte. Especially in respect to build out/suburban dominated/auto-oriented

Your argument is.... I guess you’re just trying to convince people Atlanta is as urban as Philly and other big boy cities.

You talk that Charlotte’s size is only due to large geographic areas. Atlanta is an even worse offender...

You compare metro ATL to PHL yet ignore that ATL has 4x the land area.

"Your argument is.... I guess you’re just trying to convince people Atlanta is as urban as Philly and other big boy cities."

Northern cities are older, of course they are more dense. Southern cities boomed in the automobile era, they are more spread out. You might as well compare apples to oranges. Still, MOST people would consider Atlanta, Dallas and Houston just as urban as Philly, DC and Boston.

"You compare metro ATL to PHL yet ignore that ATL has 4x the land area."

You apparently ignored my previous post using the metros of the two maps you provided:

Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
"Your argument is.... I guess you’re just trying to convince people Atlanta is as urban as Philly and other big boy cities."

Northern cities are older, of course they are more dense. Southern cities boomed in the automobile era, they are more spread out. You might as well compare apples to oranges. Still, MOST people would consider Atlanta, Dallas and Houston just as urban as Philly, DC and Boston.

"You compare metro ATL to PHL yet ignore that ATL has 4x the land area."

You apparently ignored my previous post using the metros of the two maps you provided:

Bethlehem, PA is not in the Philadelphia MSA. Nice try, though. Comparing MSA sizes is done by comparing square miles not distances between random points

Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Bethlehem, PA is not in the Philadelphia MSA. Nice try, though. Comparing MSA sizes is done by comparing square miles not distances between random points

I was using the maps Charlotte485 provided and took the furtherest points from each, which just happened to be north to south points for each. I did not do furtherest east to west points but they appeared to be about the same. Again, using the maps he provided, I did not choose them.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I was using the maps Charlotte485 provided.
Look at the map again. Allentown & Bethlehem are clearly outside. As to Cecil County, MD, look closely at the designated town there.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Look at the map again. Allentown & Bethlehem are clearly outside. As to Cecil County, MD, look closely at the designated town there.
Splitting hairs, Bethlehem is just outside because there were no towns on the map he provided just inside on northern edge, Cecilten is just inside the southern edge. Look again.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Search "Capital of the South". ALL the top hits have Atlanta in them, none have Charlotte. The comparison of the 2 is kind of silly.

Reading some of the posts one of the takeaways it seems is that Charlotte is suffering from an identity crisis. Instead of folks focusing on something Charlotte will never be, Atlanta, they should probably focus of Charlotte establishing it's own individual and unique identity. My friend who lived there said Charlotte is a bank town, a church town, a NASCAR town. Maybe that's the identity Charlotte doesn't like and is trying to get away from??? Fine. But comparing Charlotte to Atlanta is like trying to compare Jacksonville, Florida to Miami.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Splitting hairs, the first two are just outside because there were none on the map he provided just inside on the outer edge, Cecil is just inside the southern edge. Look again.
Good lord, the town is Cecilton. The county is Cecil.

Find the square mileage. There is no reason to assume the maps are the same scale.

While we're at it, Taylorsville is in a different metro, with Hickory & Morganton.

This is a 6 year old thread that someone resurrected to argue about.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Good lord, the town is Cecilton. The county is Cecil.

Find the square mileage. There is no reason to assume the maps are the same scale.

While we're at it, Taylorsville is in a different metro, with Hickory & Morganton.

This is a 6 year old thread that someone resurrected to argue about.
"Good lord, the town is Cecilton. The county is Cecil."

Call it Bumfck if you want, you got the point of reference though, right?

"There is no reason to assume the maps are the same scale."

Exactly, I referenced this in a prior post that I took his map, took the furtherest towns on his map, then went and separately searched the distance from those two towns to come up with the distance. Which has nothing to do with map scale. You probably missed that when you were apparently hung up on Cecil vs. Cecilton.

"While we're at it, Taylorsville is in a different metro, with Hickory & Morganton."

If you go to "Charlotte Metrolina Wikipedia" you will see referenced on the map Taylorsville's county of Alexander referenced as "Sometimes associated" with the greater Charlotte area. Which circles back to the point Charlotte485 made about Atlanta's metro covering so much area which he disputed, if you whittle away the counties on the outskirts or beyond what is really "Charlotte", you would probably be left with a metro less than 2 million people.

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-20-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte