U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 04:49 PM

65 posts, read 25,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
This is a nice complement to Charlotte.
Yes, there are people who like Mayberry. Just don't try and compare Mayberry to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 PM

915 posts, read 486,116 times
To be fair with the Philly vs Atlanta conversation, the metro are very much peers in terms of population and power/influence. Phillys pop 6.1 million as of 2016 and a GDP of $381billion. Atlanta is 5.8million and and $320billion. Obviously though Philly is the template of a northeastern very dense city. Atlanta is the template of a large southern city. Much more sprawl. But they are around the same size. Though I'm not sure there is a definite way to define what is "urban" exactly. Atlanta sprawls a lot but as has been detailed, is fairly dense sprawl. While as Philly is going to have those walkable neighborhoods for miles and miles. Idk the actual Urban Area numbers of each city but I imagine they're close as well even though Philly may "feel" like the larger city because you can walk and Atlanta you should drive. Both are probably classified as mostly urban statistically throughout their Metro's.

I don't have a dog in the fight I just find topics like this interesting. With that said, idk what it has to do with Atlanta vs Charlotte. Atlanta and Charlotte are waaaayyyyy more a like then Philly and Atlanta. Pretty much depends on personal values as to which would be preferred.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:15 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,262,267 times
I’m trolling by saying Atlanta is a southern sunbelt sprawling city with nice big suburbs and a metro that is auto-oriented just like Charlotte and most other sunbelt cities?

True Urban Big City Feel "Does Atlanta have it, obtained it yet???"

There’s lots of thread on ATL and whether it is a “real” or “urban” city yet.^ that one has 40 pages on the topic.

Agree with Trent Y also. If you trash Charlotte for being a sprawling “parking lot” auto oriented sunbelt city. Then by default. You’re trashing ATL too... because it too is.... a sprawling southern sunbelt auto oriented city. It’s just a really big one...

Last edited by Charlotte485; 09-20-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 05:53 PM

823 posts, read 566,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m trolling by saying Atlanta is a southern sunbelt sprawling city with nice big suburbs and a metro that is auto-oriented just like Charlotte and most other sunbelt cities?

There’s lots of thread on ATL and whether it is a “real” or “urban” city yet.^ that one has 40 pages on the topic.

Agrees with Trent Y also. If you trash Charlotte for being a sprawling “parking lot” auto oriented sunbelt city. Then by default. You’re trashing ATL too... because it too is.... a sprawling southern sunbelt auto oriented city. It’s just a really big one...
No, no one is denying that Atlanta is not a true classically urban city , but your claim that it is just a larger version of Charlotte is false. I’ve listed specific things differentiate the two, your whole approach to Charlotte getting criticized is to “But Atlanta too”. Mutiny listed a few things a few pages ago. Atlanta has like 5 large universities/colleges couched in walkable areas, Charlotte does not. I can hop the bus and train to various districts throughout 30 miles in each in direction, including Buford Highway which functions as China-townish area. Can’t do this in Charlotte. Fairlie Poplar. Where can I find this in Charlotte? Atlanta’s core has a different feel, there is no denying this.

We get what you are saying, but you are IGNORING degree with respect to the topic at hand. Let me guess, LA is just a bigger version of Charlotte too huh? By your logic, since it is LA car-centric, sunbelt metro.. it’s just Charlotte type qualities 9 times over, right? There are varying degrees of urbanity between all cities, not just sunbelt, they produce different impressions.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Agrees with Trent Y also. If you trash Charlotte for being a sprawling “parking lot” auto oriented sunbelt city. Then by default. You’re trashing ATL too... because it too is.... a sprawling southern sunbelt auto oriented city. It’s just a really big one...
Atlanta has four counties RIGHT AROUND THE CITY LIMITS OF ATLANTA that are at or close to 1 million people.

Philadelphia has ONE county just over a million, ONE county close to a million and TWO counties that are 500,000 right around the city limits of Philadelphia.

Add the 4 county populations around Atlanta and the 4 county population around Philly and at Atlanta has more people. So by default that would have to mean Philly has more people living beyond Philly than Atlanta does living beyond Atlanta...hence, Philly is more suburban than Atlanta.

Charlotte, on the other hand, has only ONE county at or EVEN CLOSE TO a million people in it's ENTIRE METRO AREA. Atlanta is the urban winner over Charlotte HANDS DOWN, BAR NONE, NO CONTEST, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

The library is now closed. Lights out.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
Atlanta has four counties RIGHT AROUND THE CITY LIMITS OF ATLANTA that are at or close to 1 million people.

Philadelphia has ONE county just over a million, ONE county close to a million and TWO counties that are 500,000 right around the city limits of Philadelphia.

Add the 4 county populations around Atlanta and the 4 county population around Philly and at Atlanta has more people. So by default that would have to mean Philly has more people living beyond Philly than Atlanta does living beyond Atlanta...hence, Philly is more suburban than Atlanta.

Charlotte, on the other hand, has only ONE county at or EVEN CLOSE TO a million people in it's ENTIRE METRO AREA. Atlanta is the urban winner over Charlotte HANDS DOWN, BAR NONE, NO CONTEST, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

The library is now closed. Lights out.

Go participate in this thread. You’ll get a sobering dose of reality. Even from all your fellow Atlantans.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
No, no one is denying that Atlanta is not a true classically urban city , but your claim that it is just a larger version of Charlotte is false. I’ve listed specific things differentiate the two, your whole approach to Charlotte getting criticized is to “But Atlanta too”. Mutiny listed a few things a few pages ago. Atlanta has like 5 large universities/colleges couched in walkable areas, Charlotte does not. I can hop the bus and train to various districts throughout 30 miles in each in direction, including Buford Highway which functions as China-townish area. Can’t do this in Charlotte. Fairlie Poplar. Where can I find this in Charlotte? Atlanta’s core has a different feel, there is no denying this.

We get what you are saying, but you are IGNORING degree with respect to the topic at hand. Let me guess, LA is just a bigger version of Charlotte too huh? By your logic, since it is LA car-centric, sunbelt metro.. it’s just Charlotte type qualities 9 times over, right? There are varying degrees of urbanity between all cities, not just sunbelt, they produce different impressions.
Agreed. There are other factors to go with size and sprawl (or lack thereof) that makes a city and it's area "urban". An educated population, world class universities, top notch cuisine, just to name a few....even in NC that's Raleigh-Durham, not Charlotte.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Go participate in this thread. You’ll get a sobering dose of reality. Even from all your fellow Atlantans.

Charlotte doesn't have such a thread because it's too laughable to even discuss.

Maybe Charlotte folks should start a thread: "Charlotte, will it ever be more than a churchy, NASCAR lovin', sprawling, boring, dull banktown with no identity, no culture always comparing itself to cities it will never measure up to, insecure and jealous?" You can be the first poster

Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM

823 posts, read 566,668 times
Quote:

No response to my post huh? Since we are posting links, peep the stats in this thread. The consensus on a city vs city board is way more in line with what I’m saying. Hardly anyone voted Charlotte

Dallas vs Atlanta vs Charlotte (which is the most urban?)

I’m going to bow out until you give me a substantive response to digest, later bro.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
Charlotte doesn't have such a thread because it's too laughable to even discuss.

Maybe Charlotte folks should start a thread: "Charlotte, will it ever be more than a churchy, NASCAR lovin', sprawling, boring, dull banktown with no identity, no culture always comparing itself to cities it will never measure up to, insecure and jealous?" You can be the first poster

You created a second account and have only commented on Charlotte.

You have such an odd obsession. I’m so confused on why you feel so strongly about Charlotte positive or negative. Going as far to create a second account to continue to post the same drivel lol.

I was born and raised in Charlotte. I wanted to experience a larger and more urban city despite loving Charlotte. I want to live in a more urban, international city. Hence I moved to DC. What is your connection to CLT that makes you so obsessed with it?

You’re probably not well traveled. Once you become well traveled beyond Raleigh & Atlanta, you’ll drop your anger Charlotte is larger than Raleigh and you’ll stop using Atlanta to bash Charlotte. Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte. Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh. All 3 are very similar on different scales and slightly different builds.
That said, they’re all more similar to eachother versus Pittsburgh (similar in size to Charlotte) or Salt Lake (similar in size to Raleigh) or Philadelphia (similar in size to Philadelphia).

But you’re not interested in that. You’re angry Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh for some reason and so you create 2nd accounts to talk about how big Atlanta is compared to CLT. Which, btw. No one is disputing. At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte