U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM

65 posts, read 26,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

What did Buckhead look like in the year 1980? When metro ATL was as large as metro CLT?
There you go again, comparing Atlanta then with Charlotte now. The Raleigh-Durham region today is also the population of the Atlanta region in 1980 but you never hear Raleigh-Durham folks trying to compare their area to Atlanta or to any place else.

Maybe the focus should be on Charlotte getting their own identity like New Orleans has, like Nashville has, like Raleigh-Durham has, like Atlanta has. These constant comparisons of Charlotte to Atlanta complete with city scape photos is starting to seem a little insecure and desperate, lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 PM

3,782 posts, read 3,295,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
There you go again, comparing Atlanta then with Charlotte now. The Raleigh-Durham region today is also the population of the Atlanta region in 1980 but you never hear Raleigh-Durham folks trying to compare their area to Atlanta or to any place else.

Maybe the focus should be on Charlotte getting their own identity like New Orleans has, like Nashville has, like Raleigh-Durham has, like Atlanta has. These constant comparisons of Charlotte to Atlanta complete with city scape photos is starting to seem a little insecure and desperate, lol
I didn’t really read this. I glanced it.

All I can tell you is I’m not emotionally invested in this.

I live in Washington DC. One of the greatest cities in the world. So you can imagine how irrelevant Raleigh is to me and this conversation. So irrelevant, I haven’t addressed it and I will continue to not address it because I don’t care about it or how it compares to anywhere. I also don’t care about Nashville. It’s another irrelevant place to me. Then again, that’s why I don’t post in forums dedicated to them

Old 09-22-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I didn’t really read this. I glanced it.

All I can tell you is I’m not emotionally invested in this.

I live in Washington DC. One of the greatest cities in the world. So you can imagine how irrelevant Raleigh is to me and this conversation. So irrelevant, I haven’t addressed it and I will continue to not address it because I don’t care about it or how it compares to anywhere. I also don’t care about Nashville. It’s another irrelevant place to me. Then again, that’s why I don’t post in forums dedicated to them
But...but....but....Raleigh's a capital! DC's a capital! Raleigh's a technology hub! Northern Virginia is a technology hub! DC has major universities! Raleigh area has major universities! DC area is one of the most educated metros in the country! Raleigh area is one of the most educated metros in the country! DC area population 50 years ago is the Raleigh area population today! Raleigh's like DC!!!

Any city can find comparisons to larger cities, question is, why bother and devote so much time to it? Seems you're emotionally invested in this Charlotte/Atlanta comparison.

Oh, and DC is a great American city, it's not one of "the greatest cities in the world". That would be New York. Now, go ahead and make your comparisons to DC being like New York so I can laugh as much as I do when you try to compare Charlotte to Atlanta, lol

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-22-2018 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,667,463 times
Well personally I like to believe many of the greatest cities in the world are in the US and they aren't just limited to Europe and a hand full of Asian cities because they're old.

I think Charlotte does have it's unique character with stuffy bankers , but we will always share being inland cities in the hilly Piedmont, mostly built in the post-car era, in a similar environment, similar weather, similar vegetation, similar lakes, similar rivers, similar proximity to beaches, both in original colonies on the southern east coast, both a little too close to Tennessee, both with issues of conservative state governments trying to takeover city airports as an election year wedge issue, both with an affinity for trees, shiny new buildings, and stately brick homes on leafy lots.

I guess we buffer Charlotte from Florida and Alabama.... You guys owe us!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:25 PM

3,782 posts, read 3,295,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well personally I like to believe many of the greatest cities in the world are in the US and they aren't just limited to Europe and a hand full of Asian cities because they're old.

I think Charlotte does have it's unique character with stuffy bankers , but we will always share being inland cities in the hilly Piedmont, mostly built in the post-car era, in a similar environment, similar weather, similar vegetation, similar lakes, similar rivers, similar proximity to beaches, both in original colonies on the southern east coast, both a little too close to Tennessee, both with issues of conservative state governments trying to takeover city airports as an election year wedge issue, both with an affinity for trees, shiny new buildings, and stately brick homes on leafy lots.

I guess we buffer Charlotte from Florida and Alabama.... You guys owe us!
So who controls the airport is controversial in GA too?

Smh... Leave it to the GOP to make airports a wedge issues.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

I think Charlotte does have it's unique character with stuffy bankers

....don't forget mega churches, televangelists and NASCAR!

Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 PM

4,216 posts, read 3,583,095 times
Oy Vey! Here we go again!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 AM

1,004 posts, read 872,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
The conversation has actually been quite interesting over the last several pages.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I know, right? Clearly Charlotte belongs in the group of cities from Orlando down, not Phoenix up.

In other words, Charlotte is only 1,000,000 people larger than Jacksonville yet 4,000,000 smaller than Atlanta. Charlotte is more comparable to Jacksonville than Atlanta in size. Throw in the mega churches, NASCAR, televangelists and regional voting patterns...one could also easily make the case Charlotte is much closer to Jacksonville culturally than Atlanta too. Takeaway: Charlotte's more like a slightly larger Jacksonville than a tiny Atlanta .

Sunbelt CSA metropolitan areas by size:

Dallas-Ft Worth, 7,850,000
Houston, 7,000,000
Miami-Ft Lauderdale, 6,800,000
Atlanta, 6,500,000
Phoenix, 4,700,000
Orlando, 3,200,000
Tampa-St Pete,3,000,000
Charlotte, 2,600,000
Raleigh-Durham, 2,200,000
Austin, 2,000,000
Nashville, 2,000,000
Greensboro-Winston Salem, 1,700,000
New Orleans, 1,500,000
Jacksonville, Florida 1,500,000

Charlotte's growth rate, while strong, is still less than peer metro regions (in the 2,000,000-3,000,000 population range). Orlando, Austin, Raleigh-Durham and Nashville all exceed Charlotte's growth rate making it far, far, FAR more likely those metro regions will pass Charlotte in size long, long, LONG before Charlotte catches up to Atlanta. Takeaway: Forget Atlanta, Charlotte growth rate is lagging when compared to other sunbelt regions of similar size.

Sunbelt CSA metropolitan areas by growth rate:

Orlando, 16.54%
Houston, 16.00%
Austin, 17.7%
Dallas-Ft Worth, 15.9%
Raleigh-Durham, 14.99%
Nashville, 13.37%
Phoenix, 13.12%
Charlotte, 12.98%
Jacksonville, 10.95%
Atlanta, 10.92%
Miami, 10.73%
Tampa, 6.90%
New Orleans, 6.80%
Greensboro-Winston Salem, 4.68%

Charlotte folk can counter with spin and photos of cityscapes and skylines all they want, but these are the cold hard numbers and numbers don't lie and the numbers don't spin.

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-23-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
The conversation has actually been quite interesting over the last several pages.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte