Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times

Advertisements

First off, what's up everyone - although I think I only see two names I remember LOL ...Funny, pretty much nothing has changed, still the same humor-filled back and forth

Anyway, I remember this thread from waaaay back, and I think it's actually older than 2012. I moved to Charlotte in 2006 and left for ATL about a year ago - kids off to college, and because of some personal circumstances it was time to move on. Prior to that, I spent a lot of time in ATL (as well as many other cities in the US and world wide). So I think I can offer some points to anyone stumbling on this thread. It's almost impossible to compare CLT and ATL objectively without first understanding *you* - ultimately where ever you live, it comes down to *you* and what you're willing to make of it.

Anyway here's my short synopsis - I've often called Charlotte a "little big city". That phrase was always meant to be taken as a term of endearment. I loved the small town and country feel (I lived down in the Weddington/Matthews area) and appreciated driving past several farms (well what's left of them) on the way home or early in the morning on the way to work or airport. I loved that even with the town feel, you still had some big city amenities like major sports franchises, a nice (although small) uptown/downtown feel, and a few nice dining spots. I loved it for the family-raising feel and that's what I got (all the kids are now in college so mission accomplished). I was at that point in my life where the family-feel was very important, so I prioritized that. So if you want that, then Charlotte is a GREAT city. If you're in your 20s and 30s and single - and looking for night life and a night scene - it's going to be very disappointing. There just aren't many options outside of joining meetups (which are a good idea). And the same 2-3 watering holes everyone goes to.

Atlanta and all of the surrounding burbs has a "big city" feel to it. You're not going to see to many farms, cows, and goats as you roll by subdivisions in and around ATL burbs. However ATL has so many wonderful communities (Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, John's Creek, Vinings, etc. etc. and many places in and around core ATL). It's got amazing restaurants and a great selection fine dining choices (CLT just doesn't have a lot of great restaurants). It was mentioned several times in the thread, there's tons to do with the zoo, the aquarium, all the festivals that happen throughout the year, as well as the towns have there own local events - 4th of July is very nice as there are a lot of great free concerts and day events for everyone. There are a lot of big companies HQ'd here from Home Depot, Delta, Porsche, etc. etc. - there's a reason they're here. ATL is a big hub for movies and TV shows - a lot of movies have been filmed here, as well as the famous Walking Dead Series. Lots of great schools, both primary and college. You can definitely get the family feel here *as well as* the city/urban feel.

Now with all that goodness in ATL, I remember passing on it in 2006 because I wanted the "little big city" feel that CLT offered. As I said in the beginning, these threads are fun to read and participate but really it should never be "this vs that" - it really should be what am I looking for and what fits me (knowing that might not be relevant to someone else).

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
Charlotte is nothing like Atlanta. Atlanta is a big city. A real city. Charlotte is just a large Gastonia by comparison.

Too funny you are slamming Atlanta for having a Coca-Cola museum when Charlotte has a NASCAR and Billy Graham museum.

You're slamming Jonesboro like it's Atlanta. There are countless "Jonesboro's" in the Charlotte metro area. Difference being the Atlanta region has a real city as it's core.

"I assume it (Atlanta) has more crime and I assume it has more poor people." Charlotte has had a major riot recently, Atlanta hasn't. Charlotte crime rate adjusted for size is more than Atlanta's. Atlanta has more poor people because it's bigger...it also has more middle class and rich people...again, because it's bigger.

Again Charlotte folks, get your own identity....beyond NASCAR, mega churches and televangelists...and maybe you won't be so insecure. You're not Atlanta, never will be. You're not Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans....or even Asheville either. You're basically just Jacksonville, Florida less the waterfront downtown (with apologies to Jacksonville).
And you're going completely overboard in the other direction.

Geesh...you two should just get a room.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You’re taking it way too literal.

Heavy rail, gritty neighborhoods etc is getting down to the nitty gritty.

Atlanta is a capital city. Charlotte is not. That’s quite a difference.

Your premise is that Charlotte is a clean, suburban southern sunbelt and ATL is this gritty dense urban place (btw. Buckhead and midtown when I’ve been never came across as gritty to me).

The problem with that is.... ATL too is... a suburban southern sunbelt city... that also has heavy commuter rail. Happens to be a capital. That has lots of beautiful green trees and low cost living. People don’t think “oh, Atlanta. A gritty dense urban city.” They think of green, new, shiny, beautiful big houses, amazing suburbs, luxury shopping malls (or they think black people and crime. Depends on the person).

This is a suburb:

This is a suburb:

One looks like a giant version of the other. They feel similar to me. Ones obviously just bigger.
I think the ATL picture certainly looks more urban than the CLT picture. I think earlier it was you that said something about "skyscrapers don't make a place urban" or something like that. IMO that does contribute a lot to having a more urban feel, of which I'd say ATL does have more of overall than CLT.

I do actually think at least of the areas near downtown ATL as a "gritty dense urban city" - which is not really a good thing IMO. But as someone else mentioned, suburbs are often similar in many cities - and yes many suburbs of Charlotte are similar to many suburbs of Atlanta.

Actually just got back from Atlanta this weekend. Every time I go I am reminded of how much I hate driving there especially on the interstates. Anyone that complains about Charlotte traffic should spend 5 minutes on Atlanta highways. I feel like I lose 20 minutes of my life every time I drive in ATL. Reminds me of driving around the DC area highways.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:16 AM

65 posts, read 69,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And you're going completely overboard in the other direction.
In what way am I going just as far in the other direction?

City population stats
Jacksonville city population (through aggressive annexing): 850,000
Charlotte city population (through aggressive annexing): 850,000

Atlanta city population: 500,000

Metro population stats
Jacksonville metro population: 1,500,000
Charlotte metro population: 2,500,000 (way closer to metro Jacksonville's population than metro Atlanta's population)

Atlanta metro population: 6,500,000

Metro counties population stats:
Jacksonville: 1 metro county at 1 million
Charlotte: 1 metro county at 1 million

Atlanta: 4 metro counties at or approaching 1 million.

Politically
Jacksonville metro politically: One blue county surrounded by a sea of red counties
Charlotte metro politically: One blue county surrounded by a sea of red counties

Atlanta politically: 6 blue counties

Culturally
Jacksonville: The most bible of Florida's major metros
Charlotte: The most bible of NC's major metros

Atlanta: The least bible of Georgia's major metros

Cuisine:
Jacksonville: Chain restaurants
Charlotte: Chain restaurants

Atlanta: James Beard Award winning chefs and restaurants

NFL and pro-sports
Jacksonville: One of the smallest pro-sports markets, no major collegiate teams with which to compete.
Charlotte: One of the smallest pro-sports markets, no major collegiate teams with which to compete.

Atlanta: One of the largest pro-sports markets with NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS plus a major collegiate conference team in the ACC, in a city with TONS of other stuff to do and can still maintain them all.

Party
Jacksonville: Known for being a "good place to raise a family".
Charlotte: Known for being a "good place to raise a family".

Atlanta: Known for being a party town.

Clearly Charlotte is more comparable to Jacksonville than Atlanta.

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-24-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Charlotte is nothing like Atlanta. Atlanta is a big city. A real city. Charlotte is just a large Gastonia by comparison.

Too funny you are slamming Atlanta for having a Coca-Cola museum when Charlotte has a NASCAR and Billy Graham museum.

You're slamming Jonesboro like it's Atlanta. There are countless "Jonesboro's" in the Charlotte metro area. Difference being the Atlanta region has a real city as it's core.

"I assume it (Atlanta) has more crime and I assume it has more poor people." Charlotte has had a major riot recently, Atlanta hasn't. Charlotte crime rate adjusted for size is more than Atlanta's. Atlanta has more poor people because it's bigger...it also has more middle class and rich people...again, because it's bigger.

Again Charlotte folks, get your own identity....beyond NASCAR, mega churches and televangelists...and maybe you won't be so insecure. You're not Atlanta, never will be. You're not Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans....or even Asheville either. You're basically just Jacksonville, Florida less the waterfront downtown (with apologies to Jacksonville).
Can you cite what you're using for the crime comparison? Even using this "list" that people here have often criticized Charlotte for being "on," Charlotte's murder rate is lower than both Atlanta and Dekalb.
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...u-s-cities/43/

Old 09-24-2018, 10:47 AM

120 posts, read 139,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I was at that point in my life where the family-feel was very important, so I prioritized that. So if you want that, then Charlotte is a GREAT city. If you're in your 20s and 30s and single - and looking for night life and a night scene - it's going to be very disappointing. There just aren't many options outside of joining meetups (which are a good idea). And the same 2-3 watering holes everyone goes to.
Hmmm just wanted to add something here. Our daughter just graduated from USC (Carolina!) in May. She moved to Atlanta, as did many of her classmates, but just as many if not more moved to Charlotte. Her friends in Charlotte are loving it and there's tons of young people moving there right now. It's more affordable and pretty happening, and I've been hearing that for years. We have a 30-year-old friend who moved there eight years ago after graduating from Clemson, got married and still lives there. I think it's now attracting and keeping a lot more new college grads than you think.

Also, our daughter's living in Buckhead and frequents many of the same places over and over, just like you're saying happens in Charlotte. Traffic in Atlanta makes staying near home base a lot more attractive hah.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:

City population stats
Jacksonville city population (through aggressive annexing): 850,000
Charlotte city population (through aggressive annexing): 850,000

Atlanta city population: 500,000

Metro population stats
Jacksonville metro population: 1,500,000
Charlotte metro population: 2,500,000 (way closer to metro Jacksonville's population than metro Atlanta's population)

Atlanta metro population: 6,500,000

Metro counties population stats:
Jacksonville: 1 metro county at 1 million
Charlotte: 1 metro county at 1 million

Atlanta: 4 metro counties at or approaching 1 million.

Politically
Jacksonville metro politically: One blue county surrounded by a sea of red counties
Charlotte metro politically: One blue county surrounded by a sea of red counties

Atlanta politically: 6 blue counties

Culturally
Jacksonville: The most bible of Florida's major metros
Charlotte: The most bible of NC's major metros

Atlanta: The least bible of Georgia's major metros

Cuisine:
Jacksonville: Chain restaurants
Charlotte: Chain restaurants

Atlanta: James Beard Award winning chefs and restaurants

NFL and pro-sports
Jacksonville: One of the smallest pro-sports markets, no major collegiate teams with which to compete.
Charlotte: One of the smallest pro-sports markets, no major collegiate teams with which to compete.

Atlanta: One of the largest pro-sports markets with NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS plus a major collegiate conference team in the ACC, in a city with TONS of other stuff to do and can still maintain them all.

Party
Jacksonville: Known for being a "good place to raise a family".
Charlotte: Known for being a "good place to raise a family".

Atlanta: Known for being a party town.

Clearly Charlotte is more comparable to Jacksonville than Atlanta.
To be fair, I get your point, but all southern cities are probably looked at as good places to raise children outside of Miami.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You just did it in that very same post. You even brought in another city that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

All of the boosterism is just so very unnecessary and adds nothing of value to the discussion.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
Hmmm just wanted to add something here. Our daughter just graduated from USC (Carolina!) in May. She moved to Atlanta, as did many of her classmates, but just as many if not more moved to Charlotte. Her friends in Charlotte are loving it and there's tons of young people moving there right now. It's more affordable and pretty happening, and I've been hearing that for years. We have a 30-year-old friend who moved there eight years ago after graduating from Clemson, got married and still lives there. I think it's now attracting and keeping a lot more new college grads than you think.

Also, our daughter's living in Buckhead and frequents many of the same places over and over, just like you're saying happens in Charlotte. Traffic in Atlanta makes staying near home base a lot more attractive hah.
She may be cliquish, that’s fine. But in Atlanta you have the *option* to visit different places every weekend, even just staying in the city limits. Charlotte not so much.

Last edited by meep; 09-24-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
She may just cliquish, that’s fine. But in Atlanta you have the *option* to visit different places every weekend, even just staying in the city limits. Charlotte not so much.
Charlotte doesn't have as many of those options, but they certainly exist: Uptown, South End, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, South Park, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte