U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM

844 posts, read 580,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte doesn't have as many of those options, but they certainly exist: Uptown, South End, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, South Park, etc.
Yeah, I get that, but I feel like you have to utilize Charlotte’s entire metro region to really get that feeling for the most part.

Atlanta has bars/lounges every couple of steps these days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:40 AM

65 posts, read 26,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
Hmmm just wanted to add something here. Our daughter just graduated from USC (Carolina!) in May. She moved to Atlanta, as did many of her classmates, but just as many if not more moved to Charlotte. Her friends in Charlotte are loving it and there's tons of young people moving there right now. It's more affordable and pretty happening, and I've been hearing that for years. We have a 30-year-old friend who moved there eight years ago after graduating from Clemson, got married and still lives there. I think it's now attracting and keeping a lot more new college grads than you think.

Also, our daughter's living in Buckhead and frequents many of the same places over and over, just like you're saying happens in Charlotte. Traffic in Atlanta makes staying near home base a lot more attractive hah.
"She moved to Atlanta, as did many of her classmates, but just as many if not more moved to Charlotte."

Charlotte metro population: 2,500,000 X 12.98% growth rate = 324,500
Atlanta metro population: 6,500,000 X 10.92% growth rate = 709,800

Atlanta is already MUCH LARGER than Charlotte and is adding TWICE the numbers of new residents. That gap will ONLY GET WIDER regardless of how many of your daughter's classmates move to Charlotte.

In current population, growth rates and numerical gains, Charlotte is comparable to Nashville and Raleigh-Durham, not Atlanta.

Charlotte metro population: 2,500,000 X 12.98% growth rate = 324,500
Raleigh-Durham metro population: 2,200,000 x 14.99% growth rate = 329,780
Nashville metro population:2,000,000 x 13.37% growth rate = 267,400

(source: CSA metros wikipedia)
__________________________________________________ __

"Also, our daughter's living in Buckhead and frequents many of the same places over and over, just like you're saying happens in Charlotte."

I believe the OP was referring to Charlotte entertainment options, sounds like your daughter chooses the same options. No doubt there are plenty of other places in Buckhead she could choose from...as well as in Midtown...as well is in downtown....as well as in Virginia-Highlands...as wells as in Little Five Points....etc...etc...etc....Charlotte doesn't have all those difference locations and options to choose from. I believe that was the point of the OP.

Charlotte nightlife would be more comparable to Nashville and Raleigh-Durham than Atlanta also....maybe...Nashville is "music city" and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill has many entertainment options in each of their principle cities....so then again, maybe Charlotte would not be comparable to those metros either entertainment wise.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:00 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Yeah, I get that, but I feel like you have to utilize Charlotte’s entire metro region to really get that feeling for the most part.
All of those are in the city itself and not too far from each other. I understand the other poster's point though in that people tend to frequent the establishments in their neighborhood the most, especially if they are already in a happening part of town.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM

45 posts, read 23,598 times
I'm not saying one is larger. Everyone knows Atlanta is bigger. The point was just that, anecdotally but still, more of her friends moved to CLT than ATL and the Charlotte kids are loving it just as much as she's loving Atlanta. Not a statistic. Just an anecdote saying young adults out of college are moving there in a fairly substantial way and that it's not just young families by any means.

And to the other point, HAVING options isn't the same thing as UTILIZING them, especially if getting there and back takes forever, is unfamiliar, etc. Human beings tend to congregate in the same places. Kinda like Cheers, ya know? That's all.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM

148 posts, read 193,320 times
I am a Charlotte native and have spent a lot of time in Atlanta. Atlanta has always been two to three times larger than Charlotte and I believe it will always be. Charlotte does not dominate North Carolina like Atlanta does Georgia. And I appreciate being only three and a half hours from a bigger city. The thing is Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta for the most part differ mostly due to size and not life style. Atlanta has more of everything good or bad than Charlotte because of its size But when I am waiting for my wife to finish shopping in North Point or Lennox or Phipps It’s about the same experience as South Park or Audrey Kell nothing like the experience of waiting on her on the steps of St Patrick’s in NYC. Atlanta has almost six million people in its metro Charlotte is getting close to three million so the Urban experience should be more prevalent in Atlanta than Charlotte to me it is not. Both cities have urban districts Atlanta is larger but neither REQUIRES you to live an urban lifestyle like Philly or NYC. Atlanta and Charlotte are both auto centric cities which attracts a lot of big city northerners because they are. Not everyone loves density or being dependent on municipal transit.in summation Atlanta wins on size and everything related to bigger is better, Charlotte wins on quality of life.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM

3,788 posts, read 3,297,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
I am a Charlotte native and have spent a lot of time in Atlanta. Atlanta has always been two to three times larger than Charlotte and I believe it will always be. Charlotte does not dominate North Carolina like Atlanta does Georgia. And I appreciate being only three and a half hours from a bigger city. The thing is Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta for the most part differ mostly due to size and not life style. Atlanta has more of everything good or bad than Charlotte because of its size But when I am waiting for my wife to finish shopping in North Point or Lennox or Phipps It’s about the same experience as South Park or Audrey Kell nothing like the experience of waiting on her on the steps of St Patrick’s in NYC. Atlanta has almost six million people in its metro Charlotte is getting close to three million so the Urban experience should be more prevalent in Atlanta than Charlotte to me it is not. Both cities have urban districts Atlanta is larger but neither REQUIRES you to live an urban lifestyle like Philly or NYC. Atlanta and Charlotte are both auto centric cities which attracts a lot of big city northerners because they are. Not everyone loves density or being dependent on municipal transit.in summation Atlanta wins on size and everything related to bigger is better, Charlotte wins on quality of life.
10000x what I think. Obviously articulated much better.

It’s pretty much the exact thing I’ve been trying to say.

Also agree with the poster 2 post above.

I work in Tyson’s. You won’t believe how infrequently people go to DC if they don’t live in DC. The same is true for CLT. I can only imagine the same is true for ATL.

Believe me. Most people prefer suburbs. I’m just saying.... it’s very, very hard to beat the beauty, quality and amenities of the CLT & ATL suburbs. Perfect landscaping, new, town centers anchored by large grocery stores. Lots of other cities have the crustiest suburbs. Old shopping centers from the ‘60’s or 70’s dominate the landscape. Old suburbs don’t have the charm of old urban areas. Who in the world likes a gritty suburb?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
in summation Atlanta wins on size and everything related to bigger is better, Charlotte wins on quality of life.
Does Charlotte "win" on quality of life simply because it is smaller? For the most part, QOL is subjective and will depend on the individual.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Does Charlotte "win" on quality of life simply because it is smaller? For the most part, QOL is subjective and will depend on the individual.
I think by default, bigger city “wins” on more amenities, infrastructure, etc. and smaller cities by default wins on QOL, cost of living.

Amazon is a clear display over smaller cities claiming lower crime rate, QOL, lower cost of living etc while larger cities point to their workforce, mass transit, etc.

For people like me, obviously a bigger city wins by default because I particularly happen to like cities, and, well... bigger cities generally have more toys.

But I think the vast majority prefer lower cost of living, a house with a picket fence, etc. in the USA. I prefer a studio, no car, etc. I believe I’m in the minority.

Atlanta can offer more amenities, but at the same time, provide the suburban, single family home experience at a good cost in pristine neighborhoods. I know you kids think I’m bashing and dismissing ATL.... but I promise you. It’s not the grit people love. It’s that you have a big city while at the same time living in nice big homes, cheap, prettttty, etc. the beauty is tremendous. Charlotte, you have a mid-sized city while still having your nice houses and nice burbs too.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think by default, bigger city “wins” on more amenities, infrastructure, etc. and smaller cities by default wins on QOL, cost of living.
I don't think smaller cities win on QOL by default. While that can be subjective depending on the individual (e.g., college grads, middle-age professionals with children, retirees, etc), there are also standard metrics that are often included in QOL assessments such as salaries, unemployment rates, crime rates, school quality, parks, municipal services, healthcare facilities, etc. For instance, just looking at NC, I think Raleigh offers a higher QOL looking at those standard metrics than several smaller cities in the state. For some reason, I think people are looking only or primarily at traffic when they say Charlotte has a higher QOL than Atlanta.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think smaller cities win on QOL by default. While that can be subjective depending on the individual (e.g., college grads, middle-age professionals with children, retirees, etc), there are also standard metrics that are often included in QOL assessments such as salaries, unemployment rates, crime rates, school quality, parks, municipal services, healthcare facilities, etc. For instance, just looking at NC, I think Raleigh offers a higher QOL looking at those standard metrics than several smaller cities in the state. For some reason, I think people are looking only or primarily at traffic when they say Charlotte has a higher QOL than Atlanta.

You’re definitely right.

I’m specifically talking about the hottest markets or the most desirable.

So Raleigh, Denver, Atlanta, Austin, NYC, DC, etc.

In general, I think these cities along with Charlotte and a number of other markets such as Minneapolis, Nashville, etc. can be summed up in the terms of smaller = QOL, bigger = amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte