Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 12:50 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So now we are talking about suburbs?

Suburbs, generally, are suburbs.

AS & Buckhead are just suburbs. Unless Buckhead has changed significantly in 5 years, it was much, much more suburban than the tall buildings look from a distance or in pictures seem to suggest.
The inaccuracy of your statement aside...

So to you, what those "suburbs" actually contain, the condition they are in, who lives there, their proximity to the urban core, etc mean nothing and all that matters is design and layout? AS and Buckhead are in essence no different than Mt. Holly and Mint Hill? On the flip side, is it also true that "cities are just generally cities"?

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-26-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 01:35 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
So now we are talking about suburbs?

Suburbs, generally, are suburbs.

AS & Buckhead are just suburbs.
So kinda like Arlington VA then?

Old 10-26-2018, 02:07 PM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I’m not sure how being filmed to depict other cities is relevant. If so, Homeland was filmed in Charlotte to depict DC.

I’ve admittedly never been to Atlantic Station but it kinda just looks like Birkdale Village on steroids (which of course isn’t near downtown or within Charlotte city limits for that matter).

While a lack of historical buildings is a fair complaint about Charlotte, there are a couple. For example, Brevard Court looks like it has a similar look to some of the photos of Fairlie Poplar, but again on a much smaller scale. The argument that is usually made when that topic comes up is that while it would have been beneficial to keep more older buildings, Charlotte’s history wasn’t that significant to begin with.
This is the Flatiron Building built in 1897 in Atlanta.It predates the one in NYC >it is one of the earliest skycrapers built in the US.The first built in the Southern U.S.
In these pictures can you honestly say that if I did not tell you,would you know that one of these is Atlanta?

Quote:
The Hurt Building is an 18-story building located at 50 Hurt Plaza in Atlanta, Georgia with a unique triangular shape. One of the nation’s earliest skyscrapers, the Hurt Building was built between 1913 and 1926, and was the initial home for the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

There are countless buildings then and now in Atlanta designed and built by Chicago and New York Architects as well as early projects by IM PEi,Bauhaus and many others.
These are not just buildings but architectural history Charlotte doesnt have and never has had.

Its kinda relevant as it shows some prominence of Atlanta in the early days why it has some notable architecture but more of just an interesting side note as people think of the Olympics as Atlanta's claim to fame but it wasn't.
Quote:
The 1895 Cotton States and International Exposition was held at the current Piedmont Park in Atlanta, Georgia. Nearly 800,000 visitors attended the event. The exposition was designed to promote the region to the world and showcase products and new technologies as well as to encourage trade with Latin America. The Cotton States and International Exposition featured exhibits from several states including various innovations in agriculture and technology. President Grover Cleveland presided over the opening of the exposition. But the event is best remembered for the both hailed and criticized "Atlanta compromise" speech given by Booker T. Washington on September 18, promoting racial cooperation.
Atlanta has been a city bigger than it really is for a long time.

As far as Charlotte standing in for DC,thats easy.DC isn't a hard city to mimic as the buildings are not very high but dense.
There are countless movies and TV shows where they have filmed in that same very area in Atlanta as a set in for NYC due to the nature of the architecture

Last edited by Be Proud; 10-26-2018 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 02:57 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So kinda like Arlington VA then?
Yeah, but Buckhead and South Park are prettier and better landscaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The inaccuracy of your statement aside...

So to you, what those "suburbs" actually contain, the condition they are in, who lives there, their proximity to the urban core, etc mean nothing and all that matters is design and layout? AS and Buckhead are in essence no different than Mt. Holly and Mint Hill? On the flip side, is it also true that "cities are just generally cities"?
Mmm. Not entirely. When I say suburbs, I’m referring to things like Buckhead, South Park, North Hills, Arlington, Bethesda, etc. Mount Holly, Jonesboro GA, etc I guess while suburbs, I would just call them towns.

All of those suburbs tend to have nice shopping malls, pretty affluent, village type development.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Midtown has a small population density than uptown.

In 2011 “downtown” midtown had 12,916 people
Pop. Density 11k
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Atlanta

2010 downtown Atlanta had a population of 26,700

2018 uptown Charlotte has a population around 1700.

I know that’s a 10 year difference and those numbers for downtown and midtown probably have increased drastically.

But since you guys are so positive the cities are not so similar. I think I’ve heard Charlotte lags Atlanta by 25 or so years. At least in metro population. (Which to me isn’t long.) but how would a Charlotte in 25 years look different than Present day Atlanta?

Old 10-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but Buckhead and South Park are prettier and better landscaping.

Mmm. Not entirely. When I say suburbs, I’m referring to things like Buckhead, South Park, North Hills, Arlington, Bethesda, etc. Mount Holly, Jonesboro GA, etc I guess while suburbs, I would just call them towns.

All of those suburbs tend to have nice shopping malls, pretty affluent, village type development.
Buckhead is NOT a suburb.Its the city of Atlanta!
Why you keep bringing up Jonesboro?Its one of the smallest least populated suburbs of the metro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C780XRX2o6U

Old 10-26-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Pop. Density 11k

I know that’s a 10 year difference and those numbers for downtown and midtown probably have increased drastically.

But since you guys are so positive the cities are not so similar. I think I’ve heard Charlotte lags Atlanta by 25 or so years. At least in metro population. (Which to me isn’t long.) but how would a Charlotte in 25 years look different than Present day Atlanta?
Im begining to think you have some sort of comprehension problem.Who said that and when?I know it was not me.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Im begining to think you have some sort of comprehension problem.Who said that and when?I know it was not me.
Don’t entertainment it, man. I feel like he has heard a lot of ppl diminish Charlotte, maybe even Atlantans since we are the big dog in the region, so he moved and is trying to return the favor by being a DMV resident. But that’s not going to happen because they are essentially the same tier of city, along with Philly, which is another city he tried to use to dwarf Atlanta. It’s very transparent.

As far as what I was saying about Atlantic Station, I heard it from an actual all-my-life New Yorker.. It’s just the build of it entering from 17th street and turning into the market st entrance imo — it doesn’t have that sunbelt impression. I understand that it is new, master-planned development, but the cohesiveness and scale of it gives it that feel. Everyday people are paying attention to the age of the items in this case, as long it nominally represents something they are familiar with. What it lacks in grit and organic age markers, it makes up with in layout and congruence. Especially with the row houses and low rise condos across the street, I don’t think ppl realize how large AS is as whole. They think of it as only the 2 or 3 blocks around the Regal.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Pop. Density 11k

Atlanta was about the size Charlotte is now right around 1980, so about 40 years. And we have been adding about 95-100k ppl on average the past recent years, 3rd in rate I believe, so this is only going to widen given current projections. Stop trying to gloss over details so you can pretend they are pretty much the same thing.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:17 PM

Also, what do you mean the core (what you call downtown) midtown has a small population density, it’s kind’ve high. It’s over 11,000 ppsm. The core has over 11,000 residents and not even 1 square miles, I think 0.8 Miles.

That 11,000 ppsm is referring to some other variant of the area, probably greater midtown as a whole. In any case, does uptown have that kindve Pop. Density?

And please don’t forget, workforce and college population numbers. Midtown is a work hub within a 6 million metro and has one of the best schools in the country. I know uptown doesn’t have GT, but it’s probably a bigger hub for work relative to the size of metro Charlotte, so that works in its favor. You should be looking at all these things to get a better grasp of which has more foot traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte