U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM

335 posts, read 589,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
Atlanta is my Favorite city to visit in the US followed by New Orleans and DC.
I would have guessed San Fran or Miami, but that's neither here nor there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
I would have guessed San Fran or Miami, but that's neither here nor there.
ATL is the east coast San Fran

Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM

335 posts, read 589,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Don't tell John Rocker, he will blow a gasket.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
That about sums it up. Atlanta is a lot like Charlotte, I think. Atlanta is just bigger. Feels like Charlotte (with the Triad interstate system) to me when I've always went to Atlanta. (I've always stayed around Georgia 13, Buckhead, and Midtown). Atlanta is a big Charlotte.
They have their similarities for sure, but I wouldn't say that Atlanta is just a bigger version of Charlotte (or vice versa).

Old 02-09-2012, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 12,814 times
Quote:
Atlanta Georgia is San Fran east... Uh you kidding, right? Keep that unrealistic, over bloated ego in Ga. Charlotte is much finer city ... by a long shot!! Keep trying ATwhat?
Attached Thumbnails
:::Atlanta -vs- Charlotte?-san-francisco-smart-grid.jpg  

Last edited by calicat921; 02-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Add picture

Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM

467 posts, read 859,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicat921 View Post
Atlanta Georgia is San Fran east... Uh you kidding, right? Keep that unrealistic, over bloated ego in Ga. Charlotte is much finer city ... by a long shot!! Keep trying ATwhat?
San Francisco might be a great place to visit, but there's no reason either Atlanta or Charlotte need to be "aspiring" to be San Francisco. I'm at our place in San Francisco right now - yes, the 1 bedroom/1 bath place that we pay $2100/month to rent. Yes, I have palm trees and other evergreen trees out my window, but my view is about 20 feet overlooking the balconies of the adjacent 5-story building. I hear traffic noise and sirens and construction noise in the distance instead of owls and frogs and silence. Each place has its own positives and negatives. I enjoy visiting SF from time to time, but believe me, it's a bear to actually live and work in for my particular profession. I'd never want to move back from Charlotte, and I've spent time in Atlanta too and would never want to move from there to SF. One can't just look at a city from a tourist perspective and use that as a metric for "greatness" or whatnot.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM

346 posts, read 548,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta, first in Decatur, then later in Snellville and Lilburn.

On paper, there are many things that I think Atlanta must offer over Charlotte: It's basically the southeast's most defining metropolis. It has WAY more "history" than Charlotte, but with that comes, at least to me, a lot of tension. I grew up in Atlanta in the 1970's. Race relations were so tense that they were suffocating. Still, it drowns Charlotte in its history. In many years, that will probably be an even larger draw.

By virtue of its much larger size, there are so many more options for everything from food, to transportation, to entertainment. I'll be honest, I love diversity, so "conservative" doesn't make my top list of qualifiers for a great city. Atlanta has a ton of diversity, which I think is great. Atlanta also has some "world class" attractions: Olympic Park, the Aquarium, Underground Atlanta, CNN tours and the World of Coca-Cola.

As a weekend-only tourist, I see the value of Atlanta, certainly. In fact, since I haven't lived there in 20 years, I have on "my list" a planned weekend to drive down to stay in Atlanta proper (planning on not telling relatives or friends of my visit so they don't force me out to a Chili's in the suburbs!) to see these sights, some of which I've seen before, but none as an adult.

As a citizen or local, I see zero appeal in Atlanta over Charlotte.

Atlanta's traffic terrifies me. My first ever wreck was in Atlanta, right outside of Techwood dorms in the 80's (it's been gentrified as a part of the Olympic Park, now). I HATE to drive in the city because of how horrible Atlanta was, I love that Charlotte is small enough that I feel I can navigate it by car (or on foot) without disaster.

Atlanta's citizenry scares me. It is a harsh and hostile place compared to Charlotte. Yes, we're a bunch of stuffy bankers, I get that. But the last night I spent in Atlanta, a large group of men tried to steal my purse. That has never happened in Charlotte, not by a long shot. I won't say "mugging" because they didn't wield knives or guns, but one guy grabbed my purse on my shoulder hard, while another one tried to yank me away. I held on and cursed them loudly, as there were plenty of passersby, and they ran off. But that incident has made me distrust the streets of Atlanta on a level that I don't distrust any other city. I cried all night afterward, and I will never wander those streets by myself or in a questionable area again.

Where would I want to visit? Probably Atlanta, with my husband by my side.

Where would I want to live? Charlotte, by a long shot. Every time I drive through/in/or around Atlanta I reaffirm my feelings that Charlotte is a far superior place to live.
Yep, this. I lived north of Atlanta for 30 years and it took forever for me to convince my DH to leave, mainly because of his family. But I'm so glad we're gone. DH had a 90 minute commute one way to Atlanta everyday and it made him so daggone crabby. He didn't go there by choice but was forced based on his job transferring from Kennesaw to Fulton Industrial. That was the point he finally decided he was ready to move. My nerves could never handle the traffic, so I rarely ever went into Atlanta myself.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicat921 View Post
ATL has a huge gay population so it's called the San Fran of the east coast.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Quote:
ATL has a huge gay population so it's called the San Fran of the east coast.
Never mind the fact that Atlanta's majority is black where black is non-existant in San Fran. San Fran is about double the population of Atlanta while being an area 1/3 the size of Atlanta. San Fran is a huge IT hub; Atlanta not so much. Cost of Living way off the charts from each other. Yea... still trying to figure out how someone feels that comment...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Never mind the fact that Atlanta's majority is black where black is non-existant in San Fran. San Fran is about double the population of Atlanta while being an area 1/3 the size of Atlanta. San Fran is a huge IT hub; Atlanta not so much. Cost of Living way off the charts from each other. Yea... still trying to figure out how someone feels that comment...
San Fran was considered the gay capital of America and now Atlanta is gaining a reputation for it's large gay population... this is the only reason people call it the San Fran of the east.

That's it... that's all... nothing more. Besides the gay pride they have nothing in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte