Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Whats not helping matters is the fact that their 3 leading scorers are injured and not playing.
Total Games - 25 games
Augustin - 17 games
Henderson - 21 games

The next two leading scorers are playing i.e. Kemba Walker and Reggie Wiilliams.

Sure Maggette (#5 PPG) for is out but he shoots 30% so not sure how that helps a team, esp since he isn't the best defender.

With all 4 playing, they have only won 3 games. For someone else to suggest this had an impact, it didn't as all these guys were healthy for a good portion of the year and they still lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntice
I think those bashing should take a look at this
HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Charlotte Bobcats

and evaluate the trades and some will make logical sense. To put that in perspective Bobcats are 2 million below the league cap at 56 million in salaries for the season in progress The Lakers have 3 players that have salaries more than total Charlotte team. As I said before with the additional revenue sharing the league will be doing small markets fans will need to be patient Jordan maybe competitive but we will never see him pay over 30 million over the cap to win not in a city that doesn't have the TV deals that other teams have.
Gerald Wallace - 13.3pts on 48.1% shooting, 6.9 boards, 2.4 ast, 1.6 stls and all that heart and hustle + floor leadership, past All-Star.
- Contract ends 2011/12, player option 12/13 $11.4 mil

Corey Maggette - 12.2pts on 30% shooting, 6.2 boards, 1.5 ast, 0.5 stls, nba journeyman, injury prone.
- Contract ends 2012/13, final year playout $10.9 mil

Now explain to me how it was a good idea to get rid of Gerald Wallace, knowing that Maggette gets moved here with a similiar contract...
* Fully aware Maggette was dealt for Jackson (same contract) with a draft pick (i.e. Biyombo); note totally fine Jackson is gone.

The one draft pick (i.e. all that is left from the Wallace trade) won't be all that great. Portland's 2013 pick is restricted if Top 12 (until 2016 draft). Portland is running pretty well so getting a high pick won't happen. This pick is essentially a wash of the 2012 pick they sent to Chicago (which has the same terms as the one received from Portland) that they gave when they received Tyrus Thomas.

To the other point, sure the CBA should help the team but it only good if you can talk good/great players to come here, which still is a tough sell.

Quote:
Another interesting fact is attendance to Bobcats games is up this year for the 3rd year in a row. They rank 14 out of 30 teams not bad for a team with the worse record. So from those facts the fan base is growing.
You can thank good price promotions i.e. $5 upper bowl tickets for week starting Jan 6 to 13, groupons for LAC/Bulls/etc games (half off or more), etc. That really helps get people into games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
It is bad luck to have a top pick when there is not a superstar in the draft to build around IMO. I'm a Cavs fan and most Cavs fans remember where they were when CLE got the #1 ping pong ball. LJUBLJANA gave us some great years and the year prior to that pick we had the lowest NBA attendance and there was chatter of team leaving town....and most fans at that time could of cared less if they did. It seems like the Bobcats have just picked up one average guard after another with their high draft picks in past years.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Total Games - 25 games
Augustin - 17 games
Henderson - 21 games

The next two leading scorers are playing i.e. Kemba Walker and Reggie Wiilliams.

Sure Maggette (#5 PPG) for is out but he shoots 30% so not sure how that helps a team, esp since he isn't the best defender.

With all 4 playing, they have only won 3 games. For someone else to suggest this had an impact, it didn't as all these guys were healthy for a good portion of the year and they still lost.

Gerald Wallace - 13.3pts on 48.1% shooting, 6.9 boards, 2.4 ast, 1.6 stls and all that heart and hustle + floor leadership, past All-Star.
- Contract ends 2011/12, player option 12/13 $11.4 mil

Corey Maggette - 12.2pts on 30% shooting, 6.2 boards, 1.5 ast, 0.5 stls, nba journeyman, injury prone.
- Contract ends 2012/13, final year playout $10.9 mil

Now explain to me how it was a good idea to get rid of Gerald Wallace, knowing that Maggette gets moved here with a similiar contract...
* Fully aware Maggette was dealt for Jackson (same contract) with a draft pick (i.e. Biyombo); note totally fine Jackson is gone.

The one draft pick (i.e. all that is left from the Wallace trade) won't be all that great. Portland's 2013 pick is restricted if Top 12 (until 2016 draft). Portland is running pretty well so getting a high pick won't happen. This pick is essentially a wash of the 2012 pick they sent to Chicago (which has the same terms as the one received from Portland) that they gave when they received Tyrus Thomas.

To the other point, sure the CBA should help the team but it only good if you can talk good/great players to come here, which still is a tough sell.

You can thank good price promotions i.e. $5 upper bowl tickets for week starting Jan 6 to 13, groupons for LAC/Bulls/etc games (half off or more), etc. That really helps get people into games.
I'm not going to argue the statistics with you. If you watched the first week, DJ had command of the offense and finally was acting like a point guard. Since he's gotten hurt, they threw Kemba in there to take that role and literally he's like the deer in the headlights. Its expected because he's a rookie, but it was a HUGE dropoff when DJ got hurt. Magette is a very good player. Yes, he makes a ton of $$ and is not Gerald Wallace. Henderson is also another good player..

The point is, losing these 3 players was a huge hit for the team and we wont get to see how the team will do w/all 3 healthy.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM

45 posts, read 123,407 times
Checkers/hockey fan here. I do not know of many people here that like the Bobcats, especially since most of this area is transplants. Anyway, I myself can't stand the NBA, or b-ball in general, so I was ecstatic when the NBA canceled part of the season. This was great, because the Checkers (Charlotte's only winning team at the moment) were gaining more fans, and became the "primary"
home team for the time being. It was great! Being an AHL (AAA minor league) team, the Checkers just broke the attendance record at over 13,000 fans. Give the Checkers some more Friday/Saturday game dates, and even more fans will come!

The Bobcats are horrific, and they don't show any signs of getting better any time soon. They should just give up and move out of town. Most people I know are not Bobcats fans, but they were big fans of the old Charlotte Hornets, and long for those days.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM

181 posts, read 353,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Bobcats:
Lets do the run down shall we.

1. Dumb Name that has no representation of the city.
It is the nickname of former owner Bob Johnson. It was a name chosen out of vanity and immediately indicated a disconnect between ownership and the fans.

2. Horrible colors. Worst in NBA. Even worse in person than on TV. Yuck!
1. 100% agree

2. I don't mind the uniform or the colors. I HATE the name and especially the bob part of it. In a perfect world the NO Hornets will move to Seattle , let them become the Sonics again. The Hornet name can go back to Charlotte and the team can be the Hornets. Before everybody tells me the name doesn't matter , it does. Nobody wears bobcat crap around town. Notice how Hornet hats/gear are all over town again?(Nationally actually as the snap-back hat retro fad is hot).

another idea I have is that they go back to the Cougar name from the ABA days and they could pretty much keep the same logo,rufus,colors,etc. and drop that awful elementary school bobcat name.

BTW, they are doing ABA night several games this month wearing the Carolina Cougar jerseys. Cool.

BOBCATS: Bobcats to Honor Charlotte's First Pro Basketball Team, The Carolina Cougars

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan85 View Post
Checkers/hockey fan here. I do not know of many people here that like the Bobcats, especially since most of this area is transplants. Anyway, I myself can't stand the NBA, or b-ball in general, so I was ecstatic when the NBA canceled part of the season. This was great, because the Checkers (Charlotte's only winning team at the moment) were gaining more fans, and became the "primary"
home team for the time being. It was great! Being an AHL (AAA minor league) team, the Checkers just broke the attendance record at over 13,000 fans. Give the Checkers some more Friday/Saturday game dates, and even more fans will come!

The Bobcats are horrific, and they don't show any signs of getting better any time soon. They should just give up and move out of town. Most people I know are not Bobcats fans, but they were big fans of the old Charlotte Hornets, and long for those days.
the Checkers? Really..? This thread is going downhill fast...

Lets keep it on topic.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
1. 100% agree

2. I don't mind the uniform or the colors. I HATE the name and especially the bob part of it. In a perfect world the NO Hornets will move to Seattle , let them become the Sonics again. The Hornet name can go back to Charlotte and the team can be the Hornets. Before everybody tells me the name doesn't matter , it does. Nobody wears bobcat crap around town. Notice how Hornet hats/gear are all over town again?(Nationally actually as the snap-back hat retro fad is hot).

another idea I have is that they go back to the Cougar name from the ABA days and they could pretty much keep the same logo,rufus,colors,etc. and drop that awful elementary school bobcat name.

BTW, they are doing ABA night several games this month wearing the Carolina Cougar jerseys. Cool.

BOBCATS: Bobcats to Honor Charlotte's First Pro Basketball Team, The Carolina Cougars
Although it has meaning for some loyalists, The name is really insignificant in the big picture.

It comes down to championships/winning consistently.

The bottom line is if the Bobcats started contending for Championships on a consistent basis, you could put chit on a stick and carve "bobcats" in it and it would sell.....

Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 PM

106 posts, read 157,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
1. 100% agree

Gotta agree, getting the Hornets name back is essential to getting people reinterested. I feel like the Bobcats give off a college-level vibe rather than a pro-league and alot of it has to be with being poor team, but the name/colors/logo is a part of it too. Getting the name back is my #1 hope, I just wonder if MJ is willing to use some of his chump change to invest in the team.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM

104 posts, read 184,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCityRoller View Post
Gotta agree, getting the Hornets name back is essential to getting people reinterested. I feel like the Bobcats give off a college-level vibe rather than a pro-league and alot of it has to be with being poor team, but the name/colors/logo is a part of it too. Getting the name back is my #1 hope, I just wonder if MJ is willing to use some of his chump change to invest in the team.
I think going back to the Hornets would be great too. Many people think it's a trivial thing, but merchandise sales are very important in professional leagues. It's a huge business. I have to assume Bobcats merchandise sales are not good right now. I think you'd see a huge spike in sales if they went back to the Hornets. I don't watch the NBA as much as I used to, but I guarantee I would be a Hornets t-shirt if they changed back. I think it's a great name, one of the best in professional sports. Question is, would they keep the same colors or go back to the old ones?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:24 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan85 View Post

Checkers, who?
You'll find that except a couple of fanatic transplants, people don't care about hockey and this is a good thing.
Myself I'm very happy to move away from the "hockey culture" and "puck head" mentality.

I prefer an exciting NBA game to a game of hockey that needs stage fights to create excitement and sell tickets. To watch real fighters I watch UFC.
Lets hope that Bobcats turn around by next season (they have to, since they hit the bottom this season).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte