Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:25 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times

Advertisements

They are probably the worst team in NBA history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
LA Clippers fans, Cleveland fans, etc all said the same thing in the past...

They definitely stink..

Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 AM

335 posts, read 699,766 times
I completely agree cheesecracker. The only part I take issue with is that you seemed to imply that Jordan was in it more for the money than anything else. And I obviously have no way of knowing what his true motivations are. But, that is a very serious accusation to make, that one of the most competitive people to ever walk the Earth would purposefully set up a losing team, just to milk the annual income. I would like to believe that his competitive spirit would not allow for that; but who knows...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
As long as Jordan is kept far far away from personnel decisions, we would stand a chance. But he's already shown that having talent in playing the game means nothing when it comes to having talent to identifying who will play the game well.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
As long as Jordan is kept far far away from personnel decisions, we would stand a chance. But he's already shown that having talent in playing the game means nothing when it comes to having talent to identifying who will play the game well.
+1... great players don't always make great coaches or owners.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM

335 posts, read 699,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
+1... great players don't always make great coaches or owners.
Agreed. Do you think he will INTENTIONALLY roll out a losing squad each year, putting short term profits above all else?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
As much as I used to fight it, I must come to same agreement. Although best player in the game, his managerial skills are definitely lacking.
MJ's only involvement should be as the Bobcats marketing face to attract players and business. The less he gets involved, the better this team could become.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM

373 posts, read 778,846 times
I think MJ wants to build a winning team.
The logistics of that are up-hill even in the biggest markets, such as New York City. I do not think that MJ bought the Bobcats so he could pocket millions while putting a forever crap product on the floor. Not at all.

The way MJ Dismantled the team in his second year of ownership after 8 years of finally building someting , seemed to be the same old song and dance we got from Hornets ownership and, as I addressed earlier, the blue print for perrinneal losing.

I totally understand the logic of why MJ dismantled the team from his point of view.
1. Start from scratch and do it his way.
2. MJ did not believe the Bobcats roster at the time could go deep into the playoffs, though we were now in the palyoffs. Getting swept by Orlando, and the emerging Bulls and Heat teams were are part of that idea not to mention the success of Boston at the time.
3. Team had over-priced contracts and some big time free agents would be becomming available around the league.
I get all that. On paper it appears to make sense.

What I am saying is this:
It takes a lot of things to go your way to build a team for success and even then it is not guaranteed. Point is, you gotta have something to get somewhere. We finally had something, and then the carpet immediately got pulled out from under our feet again. The Bobcats may have only been a 7th or 8th seed, but that was their first playoff appearance. It may not seem like much, but it is a building block. We had core players to build around, now we don't and really got nothing valuable for the good players we traded away.

What I am really getting at:
The Bobcats consistently rank near the bottom of the league in every statistical revenue catagory. If really no one watches the team on tv, listens to the team on the radio, buys team jerseys, or goes to the games, how is that team going to win anything. Please don't site attendance stats over the last couple of seasons because a lot of those tickets are priced so low they are giving them away.
The business side of building a team will sustain the winning side of building a team. The business side is just not there, for there is no demand for the product. Most importantly, no star players want to play for the Bobcats.

I just think the pateince and tolerance of the citizens in Charlotte and for any Bobcats fans that may in fact be out there somewhere, has been pushed pretty close to its limits. It may be there already.
I am not a Bobcats fan but will always pull for the success of anything that has the city of Charlotte's name on it.

Analogy:
This airplane may at some point be ready to take off, but will there be any runway left is the question?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
...and wnba history.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Just read that the loss to Philly put us below the winning percentage of the 1972-73 76ers who had the worst winning percentage in NBA history.

Augustine is supposed to be returning soon so hopefully they can at least end the season without having such a terrible blotch on the franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte