U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Reputation: 5231

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
How can you rig the ping pong balls? I don't get it...
It's "combinations" of 4 balls out of 14.... real easy to manipulate if we don't have the combinations before hand. How do we know who has what combinations?

The actual ping pong drawing isn't done live either...

Anything besides giving the worst team the #1 pick leaves room for cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM
 
373 posts, read 669,729 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Lets see. You have a bitter owner and a talking head as your basis for your conspiracy theory?? Maybe thr more LOGICAL explanation is that everyone in the lottery has a chance and its no guarantee the worst team will get the 1st pick...just a thought.
I don't have a conspiracy theory.
I am not among the conspiracy theorists on the subject of the NBA lottery. You asked a question, I answered it.

The links I posted were to just relay some basic info.
There are more in depth articles on the subject, but it is of little interest to me, so I am not going to spend the time finding and posting them.
The NBA lotto conspiracy has been around for over a decade so it is not a new idea or current event in the media right now.

I do hope we get the #1 pick.
It won't mean much without picking up a solid free agent in terms of winning next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
Reputation: 3690
Cheesecracker, of COURSE what you are stating is a conspiracy theory. You dont like the term becauase it implies kookiness. Until you come up w proof besides some opinions of a bitter owner and a no name writer, no one will take you seriously (except some other bitter fans). The lottery is not going away anytime soon. It hurts the worst team but it is what it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,144 posts, read 2,615,354 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Cheesecracker, of COURSE what you are stating is a conspiracy theory. You dont like the term becauase it implies kookiness. Until you come up w proof besides some opinions of a bitter owner and a no name writer, no one will take you seriously (except some other bitter fans). The lottery is not going away anytime soon. It hurts the worst team but it is what it is...
That's my point in hating the lottery. The worst team, many times in a small market, can't get better without getting an immediate impact player via the draft as the high profile FA's are going to bigger market teams. Take away the one chance they might have at getting an impact player and you create a vicious cycle of suckiness (to get technical).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
That's my point in hating the lottery. The worst team, many times in a small market, can't get better without getting an immediate impact player via the draft as the high profile FA's are going to bigger market teams. Take away the one chance they might have at getting an impact player and you create a vicious cycle of suckiness (to get technical).
Cleveland had Lebron. He didn't leave for more money in Miami. Cleveland actually would've paid more. He wanted out of Cleveland. Chris Paul wanted out of New Orleans...

I don't buy the excuse that small market teams can't compete. Look at Tim Duncan...

Its Michael Jordan's job to evaluate talent and be a good marketer for Charlotte..he hasn't done the job IMO....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Reputation: 5231
Tim Duncan would have been a Celtic if not for the lottery. Small teams can compete if they make the right moves but it's hard to get FA's in a small market.

Why doesn't the NBA show the lottery? It's suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
That's my point in hating the lottery. The worst team, many times in a small market, can't get better without getting an immediate impact player via the draft as the high profile FA's are going to bigger market teams. Take away the one chance they might have at getting an impact player and you create a vicious cycle of suckiness (to get technical).
You say many, many times, small market teams can't get an impact player via the draft.

Give me examples of that. Not really many or hardly any.

Most problems are because they are lousy evaluators of talent and draft busts...

Look no further than the Hornets/Bobcats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You say many, many times, small market teams can't get an impact player via the draft.

Give me examples of that. Not really many or hardly any.

Most problems are because they are lousy evaluators of talent and draft busts...

Look no further than the Hornets/Bobcats...
That isn't what he said...

He said the draft is the only way for small market teams to get an impact player.

The draft is the only way to get impact players and the lottery is another hurdle for them instead of just giving the worst team the 1st pick.

No one is saying the worst teams or small market teams don't get high draft picks or the #1 pick... but they don't get impact players in FA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That isn't what he said...

He said the draft is the only way for small market teams to get an impact player.

The draft is the only way to get impact players and the lottery is another hurdle for them instead of just giving the worst team the 1st pick.

No one is saying the worst teams or small market teams don't get high draft picks or the #1 pick... but they don't get impact players in FA.
History has shown that having the #1 pick (IN ANY SPORT) is in no way a guarantee that that person will be an impact player/ie HOF for 10 years. Also, if you are in the lottery you are GUARANTEED TO get a high pick. The lousier you are the better your chances (as the ping pong balls have shown for the last 20 years.)

All you do is have to look at previous drafts in any sport. I can go down a laundry list of #1's who weren't worth their weight....

Also, a team like the Charlotte Hornets ACTUALLY DRAFTED Kobe Bryant, but it was Dave Cowen's LACK OF FORESIGHT INTO ABILITY that didn't keep him. They had the high pick and had the player, but traded him. I can go down the list forever w/any # of teams.....

In the big picture, drafting ability is much more key than arguing over 1 or 2 spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,941,302 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Cleveland had Lebron. He didn't leave for more money in Miami. Cleveland actually would've paid more. He wanted out of Cleveland.
False. He wanted to win a championship. Miami had the cap room to get all those players together. The only other place with enough money was NY (at that point). Lebron has been on record recently claiming he would play again for Cleveland.

Quote:
Chris Paul wanted out of New Orleans...
Wouldn't you? His only relief left for Indiana and the owner backed out. He had no ties to the region. And NO is below sea level.

Where he went might have been in LA, but it was for the "small" market version that has sucked for many, many years.

Quote:
Its Michael Jordan's job to evaluate talent and be a good marketer for Charlotte..he hasn't done the job IMO....
Totally agree. Though, it also includes Higgins and gang. You knew from the beginning when he brought in his project Kwame Brown to try and prove he wasn't a complete failure (which he is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeltDesigner
No one is saying the worst teams or small market teams don't get high draft picks or the #1 pick... but they don't get impact players in FA.
Not completely true. A few examples... Indiana scored David West through FA. LAC got Chauncey Billups and Caron Butler through FA. Phoenix scored Steve Nash through FA. Portland got Jamal Crawford through FA.

The other side of it is the teams that got their guys through trades and were able to keep them there; in example, Joe Johnson in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top