Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 10,010 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I will be moving to Charlotte soon and have looked at several places. I'm 24 and have a large dog. I don't care to be in the center of nightlife, but would like to be able to easily get to bars and restaurants. I'm looking to buy a townhouse and have visited and like these three locations: Ayrsley, Magnolia Park, and Park South Station. All of these are three stories, are under 200k, and have at least a one-car garage. I will be working off of Tyvola and I-77, and I absolutely hate commuting.

Can anyone help me out with the pros and cons of these three locations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Check the water situation at Park South Station - lots of complaints about the cost of the water and I don't believe there has been any remedy.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
I live very close to there off of Park Rd. There is a full thread on Park South here:
Park South Station?

There is a low income housing unit right next to there which might be a negative but I honestly don't know if anything bad has happened near there because of it. There is also not much near there except for South Blvd. which I try to avoid as much as possible.

My friends rented at Magnolia and liked it. It was a little tricky to get in and out of the complex during rush hour since I think Park Rd. is divided there and you might have to do a U-turn. I would choose that over PSS.

Not sure about Arlsey. Isn't that rather far from your work and you would be dealing with I-77 rush our traffic which sucks between 485 and Tyvola.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

From what I've read on this site, it seems like PSS is not the best option.

Ayrsley is about 13 minutes away from Tyvola and I-77 without traffic (just take S. Tryon St. right to Tvyola). Does the traffic get bad if I stay off of I-77?

Also, I had a slight concern about Magnolia Park being right next to a Wastewater treatment plant. Do you know if there are any smells in the summertime?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,849 times
I like the area around PSS and Magnolia Park. Obviously Park, not South, although there are two great restaurants not far on South (Vietnam Grille and La Unica - of course everything goes back to food with me). But you're very close to uptown, and all of the great spots over on Montford and Selwyn (again with the food and alcohol!). If I was 24 and getting to know Charlotte, I'd want to be in that area or Southend. Ayresley feels kind of off the beaten path to me. No offense to anyone who lives out there.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
Yes. The wastewater plant does smell from time to time. I think people just get used to it.

I agree with Chuckles. Maybe look closer to SouthEnd or near Montford and then you will be going opposite way of rush hour traffic.

Anything closer to Southpark mall in your price range?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,815 times
What does your agent say about these areas?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0531 View Post
From what I've read on this site, it seems like PSS is not the best option.

Ayrsley is about 13 minutes away from Tyvola and I-77 without traffic (just take S. Tryon St. right to Tvyola). Does the traffic get bad if I stay off of I-77?

Also, I had a slight concern about Magnolia Park being right next to a Wastewater treatment plant. Do you know if there are any smells in the summertime?
I think the smell has been grossly (pun intended) underreported. I used to play softball at the park across Tyvola from MP, and felt like throwing up much of the time.

Trivial issue about MP's website-why do they force you to enter an address into Google Maps, which they suggest, rather than just posting a premade link?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,570 times
We will be moving to Charlotte next year to be near our son and his familiy. We too looked at Ayrsley. It is quite near where our son loves so it made sense. There are some quite good restaurants there as well as the movie theatre. Ayrsley is, I think, a little overpriced but there have been a couple of foreclosures as well.

You are near several big stores and the RiverGate Mall. For your dog there is the McDowell Nature Preserve

Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 AM

I guess another big constraint is dealing with my dog. The places I've looked at are three stories, which allows me to keep him on the bottom floor and not having him eat all of my furniture. (And no, he can't do crates because he's eaten through those too). I haven't found any other locations in desirable and affordable (under 200k) areas where I can find this type of home.

Ayrsley has some foreclosures, meaning I could get a great deal on brand new townhouses. This is a huge plus. Also, they have great restaurants within walking distance. The down side is I don't know when they are going to finish developing the rest of the property, so it might be some time before the property value increases. I also feel like I might always be driving to meet up with friends, since it's further away from everywhere else.

Magnolia Park seems to be the most centralized location. I'm still weary of the traffic around the area and the smells from the treatment plant.

My realtor thinks that I'd be happier at MP since it's more centralized, but he isn't too familiar with Ayrsley and I guess doesn't know the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte