U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM

807 posts, read 2,039,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
I have had similar questions with regard to Millbridge. I noticed homes in general that are in the "Cuthbertson" high school district are cheaper than those that are Marvin-Ridge High School. I worry that saving a few dollars on property will be a regret in hindsight.

I also question if Marvin-Ridge might be a being "oversold" as being the best, even though they are a few points higher on Great Schools.com. These things Realtors CAN'T tell you.

Does anyone living in Waxhaw know if it is true that you get what you pay for in the Marvin Ridge high school area?
I am speaking about the schools from a friends opinion. I have a very good friend that was zoned in the Marvin school district. Her children attended middle school and high school at Marvin. When Cuthbertson was completed they were re-zoned there. Having experienced both Marvin and Cuthberston MS and HS's she has honestly said that there is not a difference as far as she is concerned in academics. Her children are also active in sports. Of course, every school has pro's and con's. You just have to choose an area that is right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,141,483 times
Marvin Ridge has the nickname Marvin "Rich". A lot of parent $$ gets pumped into the school and it shows in both their accomplishments and attitudes.

Cuthbertson Middle and High are outstanding schools. They have a great athletic and band program, as well as very strong academics. It is a young set of schools and are quickly growing a great reputation on equal par with Marvin. You won't go wrong if you decide to go there.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM

238 posts, read 493,926 times
Thanks! So we've decided to buy there but are going with Bonterra homes instead. Can't wait!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM

554 posts, read 1,310,662 times
good choice! Bonterra is my favorite builder (aside from custom builders such as toll, john weiland, ect)....did you buy near the clubhouse??

Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM

238 posts, read 493,926 times
We haven't bought yet, but yes, the site we have our eye on is close to the clubhouse. We drove by there last night, to see the community at night. It's so serene. I'm very excited.

We also discovered that 3 miles away there is a gas station in SC that has gas $.30 cheaper than NC. Bonus!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM

2,070 posts, read 3,554,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
I have had similar questions with regard to Millbridge. I noticed homes in general that are in the "Cuthbertson" high school district are cheaper than those that are Marvin-Ridge High School. I worry that saving a few dollars on property will be a regret in hindsight.

I also question if Marvin-Ridge might be a being "oversold" as being the best, even though they are a few points higher on Great Schools.com. These things Realtors CAN'T tell you.

Does anyone living in Waxhaw know if it is true that you get what you pay for in the Marvin Ridge high school area?
Like or not Marvin homes have one of the highest household income in NC (over $150k) so it is a reason why houses are more expensive (in average 587k in 2009).
http://www.city-data.com/city/Marvin...-Carolina.html
Marvin, NC Income and Careers

It is all dependent in what environment you like to live and how much you are prepared to spend.
The houses in higher end neighbourhoods seem to better keep/appreciate their value in long term (and of course it a great pleasure to live among best looking/maintained homes). Also schools tend to perform better since parents will be more demanding and better prepared to support their kids.
My views might not be very popular but they are backed up by facts.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Like or not Marvin homes have one of the highest household income in NC (over $150k) so it is a reason why houses are more expensive (in average 587k in 2009).
http://www.city-data.com/city/Marvin...-Carolina.html
Marvin, NC Income and Careers

It is all dependent in what environment you like to live and how much you are prepared to spend.
The houses in higher end neighbourhoods seem to better keep/appreciate their value in long term (and of course it a great pleasure to live among best looking/maintained homes). Also schools tend to perform better since parents will be more demanding and better prepared to support their kids.
My views might not be very popular but they are backed up by facts.
I truly believe that the parents in the Weddington and Cuthbertson cluster are just as demanding on their children and support their children just the same as Marvin parents. So maybe not all 16 year olds are driving a brand new BMW. Is that a bad thing that some teenagers actually go to work to learn the value of money before college?
Yes, there are several mcmansion communites in Marvin just as well in Weddington. There are also several affordable communities that are zoned for Marvin such as Hunter Oaks, The Reserve and The Chimneys. As well as affordable communities in Weddington and Cuthbertson clusters.
You will find "down to earth" people in all 3 clusters. But unfortunately, you will also find those who think their **** doesn't stink.
Plus all schools are county run.
Newtown Elementary parents just raised approx. $24,000 from parents(PTO). I was informed that they will use that money for outside basketball courts. That school is zoned for Cuthbertson. IMO, raising $24,000 over a few months time isn't small change and took alot of work from parents to make this all happen.
I'm sure there are as many other fund raisers happening at all these schools.
I think you can't go wrong with any of these schools. You just have to find a neighborhood that you will truly enjoy.
Also, wasn't Weddington HS ranked #1 in UC? I can't remember?

Last edited by yrgm; 06-08-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM

2,070 posts, read 3,554,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I truly believe that the parents in the Weddington and Cuthbertson cluster are just as demanding on their children and support their children just the same as Marvin parents. So maybe not all 16 year olds are driving a brand new BMW. Is that a bad thing that some teenagers actually go to work to learn the value of money before college?
Yes, there are several mcmansion communites in Marvin just as well in Weddington. There are also several affordable communities that are zoned for Marvin such as Hunter Oaks, The Reserve and The Chimneys. As well as affordable communities in Weddington and Cuthbertson clusters.
You will find "down to earth" people in all 3 clusters. But unfortunately, you will also find those who think their **** doesn't stink.
Plus all schools are county run.
Newtown Elementary parents just raised approx. $24,000 from parents(PTO). I was informed that they will use that money for outside basketball courts. That school is zoned for Cuthbertson. IMO, raising $24,000 over a few months time isn't small change and took alot of work from parents to make this all happen.
I'm sure there are as many other fund raisers happening at all these schools.
I think you can't go wrong with any of these schools. You just have to find a neighborhood that you will truly enjoy.
Also, wasn't Weddington HS ranked #1 in UC? I can't remember?
If parents have money does not automatically means kids have the money available to them (in my experience the opposite is true). Smart people who work hard for their money want their kids to appreciate the value of money (so they end up having summer jobs, saving, etc). So the "new BMW" is very much an exception and could be just parents car. Nothing wrong to give the deserving kid a taste and reason of what he should be working for...

I agree that all these UC schools are good, and differences are minimal.
For the record, Weddington High still is a great HS, but the newer Marvin Ridge High (too new, to qualify for national statistics) seems to be getting top scores in entire Charlotte area, plus it has the IB program.

For example:

Marvin Ridge High - 98.2
Weddington High - 96.6
Providence High - 96.3
Ardrey Kell - 95.6
Mayer Park - 83.6

Check any school in NC by inserting school name in "quick search box" - see link below:

ABCs

Last edited by 28173; 06-08-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 PM

I knew there was recently something about Weddington HS in the news in May. This was what I was talking about.
Weddington High School has been recognized with the Exemplary School Award by the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA).
The Exemplary School Award recognizes the top overall school in the state in terms of the “total program,” including but not limited to athletic success, scope of athletic opportunities offered, facilities, community interest and involvement and academics.

Again, to posters looking at all 3 clusters you really can't go wrong.
These 3 clusters are very good academically. They have great athletic programs along with many other programs and all have demanding and supportive parents willing to go the extra mile.

Last edited by yrgm; 06-08-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 37,616 times
my sister in law left long island in tears, did not want to leave family and friends(like me). but the cost of living here is high. she moved in december,she bought a house in Lawson and kids go to cuthberson middle school. I amamazed at how quickly the entire family adjusted. she loves the schools, shopping and the community and the surrounding area's. It sounds like a beautiful place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte