U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM
 
5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Reputation: 3372

Advertisements

Will the park and rides be free though? Whatever it is, it'd definitely be less than $400 so I can definitely see what you're saying happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,272,887 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
Wow. Nice find! So the park and ride will be right across the street from the boardwalk and across the street from the new super busy walmart. That park and ride on JW Clay will never have parking. It's going to be at the new rear entrance to UNCC. All of the students will park there for free and walk to campus. Save about $400.

JW Clay Blvd

Then click on the map to get a overhead view.
There's plenty of free parking over there now in the Food Lion Parking Lot and I don't see a large number of students parking over there now. It's really a bit too far for where the bulk of the classes are held. Only engineering and high-level physics classes and research are on the Tryon side of the campus.

On the other side of campus where there is free parking much closer to the entrance, I see it happening a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,272,887 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Will the park and rides be free though? Whatever it is, it'd definitely be less than $400 so I can definitely see what you're saying happening
The park and rides are free on the Blue Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
 
5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Reputation: 3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
There's plenty of free parking over there now in the Food Lion Parking Lot and I don't see a large number of students parking over there now. It's really a bit too far for where the bulk of the classes are held. Only engineering and high-level physics classes and research are on the Tryon side of the campus.

On the other side of campus where there is free parking much closer to the entrance, I see it happening a lot more.
But doesn't the shopping center parking lot probably have "2 hour parking only" signs or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
 
84 posts, read 131,601 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But doesn't the shopping center parking lot probably have "2 hour parking only" signs or something?
Yep...! Food Lion started towing. So you almost never see any students over there. Last year they didn't tow at all. Now this year, they tow all the time and everyday. That walk is not far at all for struggling student. I know lot of students that parked at Food Lions and walked all the way into campus. I have parking pass and like the convenience too much. But I'm sure the city is going to do something to make sure students can't park there. Especially since the park/ride will be right at the new uncc entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM
 
Location: You guessed it...the USA
3 posts, read 2,637 times
Reputation: 10
Be careful what you wish for! The light rail extension may seem to be a good idea...don't forget about the crime that moves in with it. The DC area and the Baltimore light rail extension areas have seen a increase in armed robberies, break-ins, car theft, assaults, vandalism and drug activity. What better way to traffic their drugs? Public transit makes it easy for the undesirables to access an area...hit places/vehicles close to substations, get back on the train and away from the area before PD can get there. Be careful what you wish for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
 
6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BudFan View Post
Be careful what you wish for! The light rail extension may seem to be a good idea...don't forget about the crime that moves in with it. The DC area and the Baltimore light rail extension areas have seen a increase in armed robberies, break-ins, car theft, assaults, vandalism and drug activity. What better way to traffic their drugs? Public transit makes it easy for the undesirables to access an area...hit places/vehicles close to substations, get back on the train and away from the area before PD can get there. Be careful what you wish for
Well well well, this is one heck of a first post. Just to let YOU know what light rail has already done for Charlotte, here is a video on the topic.
Stimulus Roadblock? . NOW on PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM
 
Location: You guessed it...the USA
3 posts, read 2,637 times
Reputation: 10
UrbanCharlotte.

I don't disagree at all with the video. Public transit has it's place. I was merely pointing out some of the cons that come with it. As the lines are extended, keep an eye on the crime maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM
 
6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BudFan View Post
UrbanCharlotte.

I don't disagree at all with the video. Public transit has it's place. I was merely pointing out some of the cons that come with it. As the lines are extended, keep an eye on the crime maps.
I think most folks would agree with me on the fact that Southend (with light rail) is a safer and more desirable area than the northern end of uptown (no light rail). Most would also agree that southend and North Tryon were both "ghettos" before southend got the rail line.

IMO, the reason for this (rail improving neighborhoods) is the difference between who rail attracts vs who buses attract. When you build a rail line (with multiple park and ride lots) you tend to attract "choice riders" (the folks who can afford a vehicle). Choice riders are NOT going to ride a bus unless it's a commuter bus with a park and ride lot. In the case of North Tryon, there is already a heavily used bus route (#11) with ten minute headways (that's because North Tryon-south of City Blvd is FULL of folks who can't afford a vehicle). Therefore, light rail would bring more "choice riders" to the area (which will help boost the neighborhood's income and lower the crime rate). It has already happened in Southend/Wilmore; it's time for North Tryon to see the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM
 
5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Reputation: 3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29BudFan View Post
Be careful what you wish for! The light rail extension may seem to be a good idea...don't forget about the crime that moves in with it. The DC area and the Baltimore light rail extension areas have seen a increase in armed robberies, break-ins, car theft, assaults, vandalism and drug activity. What better way to traffic their drugs? Public transit makes it easy for the undesirables to access an area...hit places/vehicles close to substations, get back on the train and away from the area before PD can get there. Be careful what you wish for
Does DC even have a light rail? The Metro in DC is the second-busiest public transit system in the country, and house prices in the area often depend on how close they are to the Metro station (the closer the better).

You may have somewhat of a point with Baltimore, but that's really only a couple of the stations. The "end of the line" at Hunt Valley has a flourishing shopping center. As long as there is good lighting in the parking lot and a security presence there shouldn't be much a problem.

I think the success of it may also depend on how fast it goes. I'm not that familiar with the current light rail in Charlotte, but it looks like you can get from 485 to uptown in 25 minutes, which is probably about the same time it'd take to drive, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. The light rail in Baltimore takes almost an hour from Hunt Valley to downtown, but you can drive there in 25 minutes if there's not much traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top