U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The popular music director at St. Gabriel Catholic Church in south Charlotte lost his job last month for marrying his longtime partner in New York, one of seven states to recognize same-sex marriages.
read more in this in-depth article Music director
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM

310 posts, read 591,755 times
...why is this a thread? Churches are granted more Freedom from workplace discrimination laws because they're, ya know, Churches and their tenants are different than laws and statutes. I can only assume you posted this because you think it was wrong for the Church to exercise their right to terminate an employee whose actions ran counter to those of their religious tenants.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
...why is this a thread? Churches are granted more Freedom from workplace discrimination laws because they're, ya know, Churches and their tenants are different than laws and statutes. I can only assume you posted this because you think it was wrong for the Church to exercise their right to terminate an employee whose actions ran counter to those of their religious tenants.
I posted this thread because it is in the news.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
This action should not surprise anyone, least of all Mr. Congdon, as employees are well aware of the church's position on marriage.

"Employees of St. Gabriel ... are expected to live within the moral tradition of the Church...Your civil marriage stands in direct opposition to the teaching of the Catholic Church, therefore ending your employment with us, effective today."

Read more here: Music director's marriage leads to his firing from St. Gabriel Catholic Church | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This action should not surprise anyone, least of all Mr. Congdon, as employees are well aware of the church's position on marriage.
I won't name any names, but you do realize that I attended OLA. There were at least two known lesbians there as well as a gay monsignor. If you've kept up with the news lately, there was also a pedophile priest there (who only now is being busted since he is at retirement age).

My point here is that the Catholic Church (for the most part) has been a "safe-place" for gays/lesbians for centuries. However, the church can NOT tolerate having two men who decided to exchange vows. If these two men had said "we live in sin, please forgive us" everything would have been "OK".

This is NOT an issue of homosexual tolerance. It is an issue of homosexuals not willing to accept the church's ideology of who they are (and what they do) as being a "sin". THAT's the "problem"; that's why this man was fired.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Does it really take a marriage to realize the choir/musical director is gay? I'm willing to bet a good 60%(probably higher) of music directors in the church are gay.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,034,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Does it really take a marriage to realize the choir/musical director is gay? I'm willing to bet a good 60%(probably higher) of music directors in the church are gay.
I think he was "out" already - it was only when he got married that he was fired. I've heard some people say, "Well, it was a Catholic Church, what did he expect?" but if he's been there, out, for a time and was accepted, I can understand how he'd think that acceptance would continue.

Silly guy, for wanting the same rights & privileges other members have.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,020,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That's just it!!! They most certainly knew he was gay (and THAT wasn't a problem). The "problem" was when he decided to get married. His marriage showed the church that he did not feel as though his sexual orientation was a "sin".

Think of it like this. The church forgives "sins" because "God" has called them to do so. This goes in line with the notion that "to err is human, to forgive divine". However, a person must ask for forgiveness first (or "repent") then all can be well within the church. There's no room for "sinners" who are not willing to "repent".

IMO, there's no "sin" in being who you are; the church clearly has a different stance on this however.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,219 times
This story strikes me as so strange. I'm a member of St. Gabe's. Anyone could see he was gay. I'm kind of surprised to find out he isn't Catholic. He used to come to Mass in full length liturgical robes. I assumed he was somehow a clergy member. Sometimes he had a seeing eye dog, sometimes not. I guess that's the nature of Parkinson's. Poor guy, I did not know he had that. But here's what I find odd; if Father O'Rourke knew in October that Steav was going to do it, said he was happy for him and that he couldn't give his blessing but never mentioned he'd have to fire him, I'm willing to bet that Father O'Rourke did not KNOW he'd have to fire him. I'm still in shock that we were paying him $60,000. The music at St. Gabe's stinks. Maybe we'll replace him with someone more in touch with the parish.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
It's one thing to know an employee is gay, it's another for it to be documented. The rules are that gays can't be married. He broke the rules. I don't see the problem.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 02-15-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or