U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,612,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Anyone who receives a government check should have to demonstrate that they actually NEED it.
Kind of like drug testing....Those who receive welfare should have to pass the same drug tests that I have to pass in order to provide it for them.....

It's the folks who call this concept racist who are ASININE.
There are ways to determine an individuals needs, without busting through their constitutional rights. But perhaps you are in favor of big government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM

8,114 posts, read 2,782,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
There are ways to determine an individuals needs, without busting through their constitutional rights. But perhaps you are in favor of big government.

Exactly the opposite, show me where in the Constitution it says that you are entitled to money that I earn.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Exactly the opposite, show me where in the Constitution it says that you are entitled to money that I earn.

Don't play word games.....and if you seriously mean this, read the constitution, then let's talk.

Last edited by sundrop; 02-20-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Everything we buy at the grocery is already being recorded. What do you think those discount card things are for? The stores could give those discounts without the silly cards.

Want some interesting reading? Research monsanto, what a cess pool that company is and what they are doing to the food supply. THEN research employees of monsanto and what positions they hold in our gubment. It should tick you off.
Kitty, you are right.

I have researched monsanto several times in the past and have kept up on gene engineering in our food supply. Scary stuff.

And you are right. It does tick me off - but what is one to do?

The USDA is very tied into all this . . . and if people stopped to think about the gubment's role in school lunches . . . and how subsidized lunches are linked to how much federal money per pupil that schools receive (all over the nation!) . . .it isn't hard to put the numbers together and figure out how much control the federal government is exercising over us at the local level.

Anyone who poo poos the enormity of the bureaucracy, how much money is being exchanged by all these entities, what effect they have on our food (farmers, sustainable living) and how federal tax dollars have influenced and controlled school budgets at the local level . . . they are living with their heads in the sand. It is a complicated web of inter-office agencies and costs the taxpayers billions - to accomplish . . . what?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Don't play word games.....and if you seriously mean this, read the constitution, then let's talk.
Who's playing word games?

I have read the Constitution, more than once.
Bill of Rights too.
I still have yet to find the part in either document that mentions redistribution of wealth........ or the part that gives the Government the right to look in my child's lunch box.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:

Bill of Rights too.
I still have yet to find the part in either document that mentions redistribution of wealth........ or the part that gives the Government the right to look in my child's lunch box.
The moment local schools accepted federal dollars, they were bound by the mandates that go along with those dollars. That is when the feds got the right to monitor whatever the hell they want to monitor in our schools, down to your child's lunchbox.

And no, the founding fathers had no clue that the federal government would become this invasive. We are a republic. Education (and such issues as school lunch programs) should be a local and state issue.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The moment local schools accepted federal dollars, they were bound by the mandates that go along with those dollars. That is when the feds got the right to monitor whatever the hell they want to monitor in our schools, down to your child's lunch box.

And no, the founding fathers had no clue that the federal government would become this invasive. We are a republic. Education (and such issues as school lunch programs) should be a local and state issue.
I whole heartedly agree with the part about being a state issue.
However, the content's of my child's lunch box are not paid for by Federal dollars given to the school. They are paid for by money that I earn that has already been taxed....several times.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,383,114 times
So you guys want to place limits (how? govt. intervention?) on the types of research a private enterprise can do, but you also want smaller government?

Seems to me you'd be in favor of allowing private industry to sink or swim financially on the basis of their research and productivity. That would be the least restrictive form of government at the local, state and federal levels.

Hummmmm, interesting!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Bill of Rights too.
In the original post you quoted (that I was replying to) where was "redistribution of wealth" mentioned or looking in a child's lunch box?

Where in the constitution does it give anyone the right to enter another's home and "see" what they possess? It does not. You are either playing word games or not comprehending/following the thread not sure which.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
So you guys want to place limits (how? govt. intervention?) on the types of research a private enterprise can do, but you also want smaller government?

Seems to me you'd be in favor of allowing private industry to sink or swim financially on the basis of their research and productivity. That would be the least restrictive form of government at the local, state and federal levels.

Hummmmm, interesting!

"So, you guys want to place limits"? It is not "you guys", the constitution dictates that. This thread has nothing to do with private industry or enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or