U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,511 times

Advertisements

The main reason people don't register their cars in NC is to avoid the local property tax on vehicles, which is exactly why the local authorities should pursue it aggressively. We are losing a lot of tax revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
The main reason people don't register their cars in NC is to avoid the local property tax on vehicles, which is exactly why the local authorities should pursue it aggressively. We are losing a lot of tax revenue.
I don't buy this for a second... The insurance rate reduction makes up this difference and MORE. I looked to switch my insurance when I moved down here the second time - unlike years ago, they now make you have a valid NC reg to get your new insurance card... and NC requires you have a valid state license in order to get that reg. So off I went to DMV. I'll admit the written test made me nervous before I got there because of all the hype you hear. Mostly it's just hype.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
A bonus would be to turn the names in to school administrators if the tags were valid SC tags dropping off kids in NC schools. The schools could charge out of district fees for the remainder of the year. A win-win for local govt. coffers.
This is a separate topic, but along those lines....

I do not think that SC residents can legally attend NC public schools (elementary/middle/high). Part of the problem here is that you register once in NC (CMS anyway), and you never have to show proof of residency again. It would take too much time for a large district such as CMS to double check residency requirements every year.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,565,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post

I do not think that SC residents can legally attend NC public schools (elementary/middle/high). Part of the problem here is that you register once in NC (CMS anyway), and you never have to show proof of residency again. It would take too much time for a large district such as CMS to double check residency requirements every year.
Since we are told that SC schools (Fort Mill area) are better, why would they make the daily trips to bring their kids here???

And yes, police should definitely make some money in fees from NC residents with old plates - more revenue to NC cannot hurt.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM

166 posts, read 571,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Last night I parked at the mall next to a car that had California plates that expired in 2010. The expiration date is on a sticker, just like NC and SC.

Do the local police not bother to pull over a car with expired out of state plates, unless they get pulled for another reason (or they're on 51 in Pineville)?

It's for this reason that I have to carry Uninsured Motorist Coverage, because this car is obviously not insured, not registered, and who knows if the driver even has a license. Are they waiting for him/her to kill someone? [/rant off]
Some states did away with the stickers on the plates. New Jersey is one of them. I had stickers on my plates that were 2 years old but it didn't matter since they were not using them anymore. When I moved here in April I took my test and changed my plates in June. Of course my insurance was 1/4 what it was in NJ.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,368,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2go View Post
Some states did away with the stickers on the plates. New Jersey is one of them. I had stickers on my plates that were 2 years old but it didn't matter since they were not using them anymore. When I moved here in April I took my test and changed my plates in June. Of course my insurance was 1/4 what it was in NJ.
California still uses stickers.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM

333 posts, read 680,519 times
Heres the actaul DMV info on this, if you want to read it.

NCDOT: New to NC or Moving?

60 days to get your drivers license

Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM

286 posts, read 603,690 times
I see this often as well. As well as out of date stickers on vehicles from NC and other states.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,637,885 times
The people across the street from me sell meat out of the back of pickups. They recently bought a new van. All their plates are Virginia. Makes me wonder why. These aren't expired tags. They've "gotten away" with this for 10 years. I have no idea what the benefit is but it's awkward enough to have a 704 area code number on the trucks with VA plates.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post

The only SC cars I see are the teachers, and their kids can usually attend where they teach. That being said most of the plates I am seeing are from NY, CA, TX, and a bunch from FL (however I have seen many from other states too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte