U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,380,793 times

Advertisements

I would presume that many do this to get out of paying the property tax on cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM

319 posts, read 501,233 times
When I moved here from NY I had kept my plates for a couple of years since I still had 2 years on my registration.
My insurance was NC but I had NY license plates.
Of course this was 7 years ago so I don't know if you can still do that

Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
When I moved here from NY I had kept my plates for a couple of years since I still had 2 years on my registration.
You can still do that. I had IL plates, IL license but NC insurance (which by the way is the same cost as the IL insurance) for a few months. IL registration is renewed yearly. I do see a lot of out of state tags, but I usually don't check or care if they are expired. Getting that drivers' license was such a PITA. I had to take a vacation day to complete the whole process. Ridiculous!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
You can still do that. I had IL plates, IL license but NC insurance (which by the way is the same cost as the IL insurance) for a few months. IL registration is renewed yearly. I do see a lot of out of state tags, but I usually don't check or care if they are expired. Getting that drivers' license was such a PITA. I had to take a vacation day to complete the whole process. Ridiculous!
It isn't simple. Chances are you only have 30 days to switch. NCDOT: New to NC or Moving?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
You can keep the plates just not on your vehicle

Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,407,764 times
No matter the excuses or reasoning for not switching, tickets should be written and fines paid.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 AM

This issue got me going yesterday! Someone with out of state plates that lives here. They said no way would they switch over to NC because of the personal property tax. Doesn't the state have anyway of checking? It is not fair to the rest of us the follow the laws. What happens if there is an accident and the insurance companies find out they don't live elsewhere???

Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM

319 posts, read 501,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
This issue got me going yesterday! Someone with out of state plates that lives here. They said no way would they switch over to NC because of the personal property tax. Doesn't the state have anyway of checking? It is not fair to the rest of us the follow the laws. What happens if there is an accident and the insurance companies find out they don't live elsewhere???
Blue you can have NC insurance without having NC license plate. For NYers they can pay their registration for 3 years instead of just 1 year so if they move down here when they are still paid up, it's advantageous for them to keep the plate until it runs out.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Blue you can have NC insurance without having NC license plate. For NYers they can pay their registration for 3 years instead of just 1 year so if they move down here when they are still paid up, it's advantageous for them to keep the plate until it runs out.
Thanks Bulok, it eventually runs out............

Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,407,764 times
Sure, it's advantageous to them. It's just another example of people showing up and not paying for what they use. You live here and drive on the roads, pay your share. Period. If you think it is so bad to have to get a new tag, go back to NY or wherever the heck you're from.

And it has nothing to do with eventually running out. That's a weak argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte