U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
 
7 posts, read 33,900 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

This summer I'll be working in Uptown Charlotte for 10 weeks, specifically from early June to early August. In my search for intern housing, I found dormitories at UNC Charlotte and Queens University of Charlotte, both of which are too far from the financial center.

I need some help finding housing near the financial center. I don't mind sharing a dorm/apartment with others, but I prefer my own bedroom. I'm looking to spend no more than $1400 for the duration of my stay.

Please share your knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdolescentWings View Post
Hello everyone!

This summer I'll be working in Uptown Charlotte for 10 weeks, specifically from early June to early August. In my search for intern housing, I found dormitories at UNC Charlotte and Queens University of Charlotte, both of which are too far from the financial center.

I need some help finding housing near the financial center. I don't mind sharing a dorm/apartment with others, but I prefer my own bedroom. I'm looking to spend no more than $1400 for the duration of my stay.

Please share your knowledge!
Uh, dude, Queens IS NOT far from uptown.

If you can get housing there, jump on it.

With the DNC coming in August many places are booked up and rents will be high for all short term housing.

But $1400 for 10 weeks???? That's going to be tough, though nothing is going to be cheaper than a dorm room.

you could try finding a room to rent in someone's home - you can sometimes do that for $400-$500 a month. Look on Craig's List.

My fingers are crossed for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Uh, dude, Queens IS NOT far from uptown.

If you can get housing there, jump on it.

With the DNC coming in August many places are booked up and rents will be high for all short term housing.

But $1400 for 10 weeks???? That's going to be tough, though nothing is going to be cheaper than a dorm room.

you could try finding a room to rent in someone's home - you can sometimes do that for $400-$500 a month. Look on Craig's List.

My fingers are crossed for you
Yeah. Queens is close (15-20 minutes by bus) to downtown. But the service on the number 20 is limited (only every 30 minutes).

Service from UNCC (#11) takes a lot longer (35-40 minutes) but it's more frequent (every 15-20 minutes) with late night and weekend service. But it's also a rougher neighborhood.

Last edited by coped; 02-16-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
 
7 posts, read 33,900 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Uh, dude, Queens IS NOT far from uptown.

If you can get housing there, jump on it.

With the DNC coming in August many places are booked up and rents will be high for all short term housing.

But $1400 for 10 weeks???? That's going to be tough, though nothing is going to be cheaper than a dorm room.

you could try finding a room to rent in someone's home - you can sometimes do that for $400-$500 a month. Look on Craig's List.

My fingers are crossed for you
Hmm, okay. I was speaking in terms of walking distance when I said it was far. But now that I think about it, the only housing within walking distance is most likely very costly.

UNCC is offering $20/day, which works out to about $1400. Queens is listed at $150/week for similar housing, so that's $1500-$1650.

Summer Intern Housing

UNC Charlotte - Housing & Residence Life (http://housing.uncc.edu/conferences/conf_int_index.htm - broken link)

I have yet to talk to my recruiters about housing, so I plan on having more options. I don't know if I want to deal with Craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,549 times
Reputation: 10
Hey, I'll be in Charlotte this summer as well. Have you narrowed down on a place yet? I was looking at Johnson and Wales university summer intern housing but not sure yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 AM
 
3 posts, read 11,448 times
Reputation: 12
Queens or Johnson and Wales would be your best option. The commute from UNCC area is not fun.

Queens is really nice and in a great part of town... rooms are pretty good too for a college dorm (I went there so I know!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaelle View Post
Hey, I'll be in Charlotte this summer as well. Have you narrowed down on a place yet? I was looking at Johnson and Wales university summer intern housing but not sure yet...
In my opinion you'd be safer at Queens University than J & W's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,696 times
Reputation: 10
Looking for places in Charlotte to stay as well. Adolescent wings, have you found anything? I know JWU is full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top