U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,622,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
It's amazing that people place the tone of their light bulbs at a higher priority that foreign oil consumption and pollution of the earth on which we live. This isn't a politically oriented statement, just a 'stop thinking about only yourself' statement Here come the rebuttals
This current stupidity over light bulbs reminds me of that Married With Children episode making fun of the same reactionary furor 20 years ago over low-flush toilets, where Al saves up to buy a Ferguson, the Stradivarius of toilets.

Al Bundy's Ferguson - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,935,019 times
The environmental Nazis didn't consider that incandescent bulbs were manufactured in the USA. CFLs are manufactured in china. Load up a container ship full of light bulbs and send them 1/2 way around the world, and far more carbon has been consumed than these bulbs will ever save. Then you have the problem of mercury disposal. GE also shutdown all its domestic light bulb plants because of this law so people lost jobs too.

Governmental central planning never works as intended.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,414,973 times
Some of the lower wattage LEDs give off a strange kind of light. It makes the room take on the appearance of the interior of a submarine or a missile silo. They give off acceptable light for a front door or back deck light though. The higher wattage LEDs while being hideously expensive give off the same sort of light as 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I have a few incandescents in my bathrooms but the rest of the house is LEDs. I'm hoping that I never have to replace them. Otherwise I think the energy savings are minimal when compared to the incandescents unless you're lighting a runway or illuminating a building. I also like the fact that the LEDs don't contain any mercury like the CFLs do.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,627,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Some of the lower wattage LEDs give off a strange kind of light. It makes the room take on the appearance of the interior of a submarine or a missile silo. They give off acceptable light for a front door or back deck light though. The higher wattage LEDs while being hideously expensive give off the same sort of light as 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I have a few incandescents in my bathrooms but the rest of the house is LEDs. I'm hoping that I never have to replace them. Otherwise I think the energy savings are minimal when compared to the incandescents unless you're lighting a runway or illuminating a building. I also like the fact that the LEDs don't contain any mercury like the CFLs do.
There are many factors to be considered when comparing incandescent vs CFL vs LED.....(ie lumens (brightness) / CRI (color index) / Kelving temperature....etc) It can get confusing.....

also, regarding saving money, it takes longer to "payback" energy saving bulbs in the south (vs the Northeast) because our energy is so cheap compared to other parts of the country.

Also, regarding the "mercury" debate, yes, CFL's contain a minimal amount of mercury, but since it takes roughly 4 times as much electricity to generate power for incandescents (vs CFL's.) the coal to generate electricity contains mercury...the mercury scare mongers don't like to share this "dirty" little fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte