Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Can't help OP, since I haven't looked (I have a stockpile) but I have a few comments.

Regular CFLs don't work in dimmable lamps, which most of mine are. So I'd have to pay 3x-5x as much per bulb as a standard CFL for those lamps.

I put CFLs in the can lights when I redid my kitchen ceiling 8 years ago. Those lights are far and away the most used in my home. 4 of the 6 are still working fine. OTOH, the 2 I replaced, have already been replaced. Newer CFLs don't seem to hold up like the older ones do. The same goes for some of the other ones in my home, including the freebies from Duke Power. I've gone through half of those in a couple years due to premature failure.

The light is different on many CFLs. I put the equivalent CFLs in my garage and took them out a couple days later. They never got as bright, and were slow to get to full brightness, especially in the cold.

Dimming is and always has been an issue w/CFL's (ie cost/flexibility). You won't have those issues w/LED's in the future because they are more flexible than Fluoresent. CFL's in many cases do require a "warm up" period unlike Incandescents which are "instant on". When they warm up to 100% power I've found the lumen output to be comparible though.....color (Kelvin) temp is very important. Make sure you look for "warmer" kelvin (ie 2700 or 3500) for living areas, and "colder" Kelvin temps for more industrial areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
For a bunch of well-read people, I'm surprised at how many of the posters here bought into the fear mongering and stockpiled lightbulbs. There is no light bulb ban. Incandescents are still available, and will continue to be available. The bill covers efficiency standards, it does not ban anything. New incandescents are simply more efficient. Most major bulb manufacturers already have them on the market, some for years.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Why does everyone keep saying they are stockpiling like there is a shortage? I still see the old bulbs everywhere.

These shock jocks have people going crazy.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
For a bunch of well-read people, I'm surprised at how many of the posters here bought into the fear mongering and stockpiled lightbulbs. There is no light bulb ban. Incandescents are still available, and will continue to be available. The bill covers efficiency standards, it does not ban anything. New incandescents are simply more efficient. Most major bulb manufacturers already have them on the market, some for years.
For the record, I've had dozens of bulbs for years. A business next to a friend's business went under about 10 years ago and I grabbed enough bulbs to last me for many years.. They were a steal so I stocked up. Except for swapping out to CFl with free bulbs I've hardly given the so-called ban any thought.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The bill covers efficiency standards, it does not ban anything. New incandescents are simply more efficient. Most major bulb manufacturers already have them on the market, some for years.
I don't know if thats 100% true.

The A19 standard 100w bulbs say for sale in WalMart I believe are going away after October....(I believe it was supposed to be January but it was extended to October)...

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't know if thats 100% true.

The A19 standard 100w bulbs say for sale in WalMart I believe are going away after October....(I believe it was supposed to be January but it was extended to October)...
The bill mandates bulbs to be 25% more efficient, starting w/100 watt bulbs. That means the new, efficient 75watt incandescents are equivelant. (as a side note, do that many people use 100 watt bulbs at home? Do you have a landing strip or something? ). Also, the reason you can still buy regular 100 watt bulbs is b/c the republicans snuck a provision into one of their recent bills stating that the Obama administration could not spend $ enforcing the energy bill.

Anyway, many bulb manufacturers have been making their bulbs more efficient since the bill passed in 2007. The whole "light bulb ban" is just a scare tactic from Rush, Beck, et al.

I would post links, but I haven't figured out how to do it from an iPad yet.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Here's some good info on all current choices out there...

New Energy-Saving Bulbs Are Coming -- Here's How You Find the Right Ones for Your Home | Noah Horowitz's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC

Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
...(as a side note, do that many people use 100 watt bulbs at home? Do you have a landing strip or something? ). ...
My garage is unfinished and unpainted (mostly brown), so I have a total of 6 between the ceiling fixtures and the garage door openers. Other than that, I don't have a use for 100 watt bulbs. But there's a situation where they're warranted.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
A Bill was passed when George Bush was president and it did ban the incandescent bulbs starting with the 100 watt which was to be phased out
effective January 1, 2012.

The only thing congress did for us before going on their Christmas vacation was amend the date. They changed the date to 2013.

Congress Kills Light Bulb Ban - Sort Of - Forbes

Omnibus spending deal blocks funding for light bulb efficiency standards - The Hill's E2-Wire

Sen. Rand Paul in Energy Committee Hearing on Consumer Choice - YouTube

Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,455 times
It's amazing that people place the tone of their light bulbs at a higher priority that foreign oil consumption and pollution of the earth on which we live. This isn't a politically oriented statement, just a 'stop thinking about only yourself' statement Here come the rebuttals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte