U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 PM

35,458 posts, read 43,093,122 times

Advertisements

Parents: we all need to be paying attention to where our kids are, what they are doing, and who they are with.

Drug dealers go where the kids are . . .

DEA: Heroin

Walking through the busy Arboretum shopping center on Providence Road, most people would not believe the Drug Enforcement Agency has identified it as a hot spot for drug dealing.

The head of North Carolina’s branch of the DEA, Bill Baxley, said people are going into heavily trafficked business areas like the Arboretum to buy and sell black tar heroin, a type of heroin from Mexico with a tar --like texture that is growing in popularity among Charlotte’s teens.

Baxley said the locations make sense to the sellers.

“Traffickers aren’t dummies. They want to come to places that they’re not going to stand out,” he said.

The area around the Arboretum isn’t the DEA’s only concern. Officers have also targeted parking lots in the SouthPark area, near South Boulevard and Tyvola, and by Carolina Place Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,399,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Parents: we all need to be paying attention to where our kids are, what they are doing, and who they are with.

Drug dealers go where the kids are . . .

DEA: Heroin

Walking through the busy Arboretum shopping center on Providence Road, most people would not believe the Drug Enforcement Agency has identified it as a hot spot for drug dealing.

The head of North Carolina’s branch of the DEA, Bill Baxley, said people are going into heavily trafficked business areas like the Arboretum to buy and sell black tar heroin, a type of heroin from Mexico with a tar --like texture that is growing in popularity among Charlotte’s teens.

Baxley said the locations make sense to the sellers.

“Traffickers aren’t dummies. They want to come to places that they’re not going to stand out,” he said.

The area around the Arboretum isn’t the DEA’s only concern. Officers have also targeted parking lots in the SouthPark area, near South Boulevard and Tyvola, and by Carolina Place Parkway.
South Charlotte has long been a hotspot for heroin distribution. There have been quite a few home heroin operations quietly busted in neighborhoods like Touchstone, Raintree, and Southgate Commons to name just a few, over the past 6 or 7 years.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
South Charlotte has long been a hotspot for heroin distribution. There have been quite a few home heroin operations quietly busted in neighborhoods like Touchstone, Raintree, and Southgate Commons to name just a few, over the past 6 or 7 years.
Sad situation. I had heard this, too. In fact, we had some posts about S. Charlotte kids and heroin in the last few years . . . I don't have kids in high school now (youngest is out of college) and so I had no idea that heroin was becoming an easily available drug until someone posted about it in the last two or so years.

I don't find it surprising as far as drugs being sold in S. Charlotte, however. Kids with money.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,399,544 times
Quote:
Sad situation. I had heard this, too. In fact, we had some posts about S. Charlotte kids and heroin in the last few years . . . I don't have kids in high school now (youngest is out of college) and so I had no idea that heroin was becoming an easily available drug until someone posted about it in the last two or so years.

I don't find it surprising as far as drugs being sold in S. Charlotte, however. Kids with money.
Yeah. From what I've read, if you graph the relationship between drug use and income you get the classic U. It's high for really poor kids and really rich kids, with less use in the middle.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

14,699 posts, read 13,899,386 times
Quote:
This. I grew up in a town with two schools, the public one and the private Catholic one. I knew many parents who sent their kids to private school and their reasoning was to keep them away from drugs.

Which I found funny since I knew many kids at the private school took drugs, but just more expensive ones.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This. I grew up in a town with two schools, the public one and the private Catholic one. I knew many parents who sent their kids to private school and their reasoning was to keep them away from drugs.

Which I found funny since I knew many kids at the private school took drugs, but just more expensive ones.
I wish I could say I hadn't heard this, too.

Teens are gonna experiment. Parent have to do more than notice; they have to be actively involved.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM

9,187 posts, read 5,094,142 times
Quote:
I wish I could say I hadn't heard this, too.

Teens are gonna experiment. Parent have to do more than notice; they have to be actively involved.
Parents have to stay actively involved. It's happening in middle schools, junior highs and high schools too. Prescription drugs the children are stealing from their parents is a big thing in schools. Parents have to watch their own medication.

When my three were teens I got permission from a rehab center in Gastonia to bring them for a visit. A lady that had been detoxing for 8 weeks agreed to speak with them. She was only 34 years old and had been on alcohol and drugs since she was 13 years old.

Then I contacted Charter Pines when they had the Pineville location. This facility had teen patients confined with drug addiction problems.

I felt like my teens needed to see the other side of addiction. Both trips was well worth my time. It was an eye opening experience even for me.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM

8,432 posts, read 10,221,351 times
There's just as much or more drug use in rich neighborhoods as there is in poor....

I hope people aren't naieve about that fact....

Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM

149 posts, read 166,515 times
In my opinion another way for illegal drugs to be transported across state lines is by traveling on the cheaply priced Chinatown, NY to NC buses. I've traveled on it several times. I've observed no bags were checked for contraband or weapons and no police were present during boarding. Even with the recent fatal accidents these buses have been involved in they're still in operation using a different name. I personally know people who still use this mode of transportation. SMH

Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,841,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
In my opinion another way for illegal drugs to be transported across state lines is by traveling on the cheaply priced Chinatown, NY to NC buses. I've traveled on it several times. I've observed no bags were checked for contraband or weapons and no police were present during boarding. Even with the recent fatal accidents these buses have been involved in they're still in operation using a different name. I personally know people who still use this mode of transportation. SMH

Buses and Rail lines - 2 most popular ways to transport drugs without the Police stopping and doing a legal search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte