U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM

238 posts, read 496,004 times

Advertisements

Do you find everything is far away? We are considering this area but the only drawback for us is how rural the area is. The downtown was a bit jarring for us, even though we live in Matthews which is hardly a metropolis.

I worry about the traffice on Providence Road in the morning during rush hour. Is it awful?

There doesn't seem to be much built up around that area. Specifically near the Millbridge area. Perhaps I just haven't driven by more populated areas.

I wanted to hear from residents and get the pros and cons of Waxhaw.

This weekend we we to the restaurant Stacks, at the recommendation of someone here. Since it is in Waxhaw, we figured we'd give it a try.

While the food was delicious, the 45 minute wait to get a table was not, nor was the additional 35 minute wait for our food to arrive. The restaurant is a little mom and pop place that looks more like someone's living room than a restaurant.

So please. Give me the best and worst aspects of living in Waxhaw.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,999,543 times
Hmm... your post sounds a bit..condescending. I'll disregard that for now, and simply answer as a Waxhaw resident.

I personally love Waxhaw, especially for the reasons you mentioned. I love that it is not built up. I don't enjoy a 20 minute drive to get fast food, but as a pro, we eat home more. The wait for Stacks is always well worrth it, and we either wake up early and go, or forgo it due to a late start. I would wait in line for their food, but hubby is inpatient.
Depending on the area of Waxhaw that you chose, you can be 5 minutes from restaurants and grocery stores (cureton), or 20+ minutes (furniture factory outlet area).
Waxhaw is not over populated- thank goodness. I enjoy drives on Sunday's through the most rural parts, prayintg that nobody builds on that plot of land, or that the farms dont have to sell, so it stays true to "waxhaw".

With that said, Millbridge is only like a 10 minute drive to 521- which has everything you need. I take providence rd ALL the way into uptown in the mornings, but not sure its during "rush hour"- I leave my house at 6:45-7 to get uptown at 8 and its an hour and a half back home- which is when I hit traffic. I have always had a thing against "hole in the wall" type food places, yet Stacks never struck me as a living room- more like a diner. Waxhaw has a bit of a slower pace when you get into downtoan and past. If you like it a little busier and more accessibility, I'd stay closer to the cureton area.

I may have misread the way you came across your post, but if you are bothered by any of the things you noticed-which are mostly accurate, look somewhere more like weddington, Marvin, Wesley Chapel even. They are a bit closer to everything, and the ones who like Waxhaw want to keep it the way it is.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks for your input. Sorry didn't mean to sound condescending at all. I know there are people who like rural much more. For us Matthews was pretty rural, but we've gotten used to it and really love it now. We received lots of raves about Waxhaw.

Maybe it's not the place for us to buy. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM

441 posts, read 1,288,056 times
I think you need to be honest with yourself. It truly sounds as if you would be more suited for downtown Charlotte. If you find Matthews as rural, then Waxhaw will be backwards to say the least.
Yes everything is far away. Yes traffic can be hectic. We are fortunate to have as many places to eat now that we do. Stacks is relatively new. Use to be Angilo's and was a staple here in town. I have not personally been to Stacks, but the wife has and said the food was good, but she found it a little dirty.
I for one am not a huge fan of the growth here. We personally moved out here to get away from Charlotte. I never minded driving to get to places. You just made plans to pick up what you needed before you came home from work. I will say, Harris Teeter has been a blessing. Food Lion sucked, and still does.
It hasn't been that long ago, that most here were locals. Now I hardly see anyone I know. This place is growing and growing fast, so if you do come, I'm sure it will not be long before everything your looking for will be here.
Now that I think of if, I'll sell ya my place. I'm heading out 218!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

985 posts, read 1,652,986 times
well, we live in Waxhaw but really more toward Ballantyne. It all depends on where in Waxhaw you choose to live.

I live less than 5 minutes from the corner of Adrey Kell and Rea Roads. So it doesn't seem that far out to us. however, if going to Harris Teeter (by no means my single stop grocery stop) I usually pick the one only a few minutes away on Providence Road in Weddington. Nothing seems far to me, I have the Arboretum about 10 miles away, I have Stonecrest about the same each has a movie theater. The Carolina Place Mall is minutes about 15 minutes, while Southpark is farther it isn't that far.

So really it depends on where in Waxhaw you are. As you can tell we are not that far in. Not sure I would have liked (me personally others may love it) the more downtown Waxhaw feel or location. I do go into Waxhaw, the drive isn't far. But I don't know if I would have like to drive from there daily.
So you can pick Waxhaw, it can be the outskirts if you need to feel more accessible. I have seen Providence Road backed up and then I have been on it when it moves fairly well at "rush hour".

So it depends on you and what you want. If you are looking for Union County Schools you don't have to be in the heart of Waxhaw.

Ask away, we really like our location minutes in 2 directions to the expressway, close to things like restaurants etc that are in Ballantyne. It all depends on where in Waxhaw.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM

123 posts, read 246,259 times
We live in Waxhaw and like that it is a bit farther out. The reality is that we are no more than 10-15 minutes from everything we could ever possibly NEED. Target, restaurants, kids sports, church, gas, schools, Lowe's, parks...etc. What is it that you need to live near and aren't when in Waxhaw? We are actually trying to live a much simpler life and Waxhaw fits the bill just fine. Keep in mind Waxhaw is near the SC border too which means cheaper gas!! Also, they are building a Publix along 521 and there won't be any in NC yet. I also believe that at the corner of Jim Wilson Rd and 521 will be a very large shopping center. I love that we are just a country drive away from all that...good luck with whatever you do. Houses are selling in our neighborhood I can tell you!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,383,517 times
Keep in mind that there's a big difference between the Village of Waxhaw, and everything else in ZIP code 28173 in Western Union County.

The village of Waxhaw is approximately this (area in pink):

waxhaw, nc - Google Maps

While ZIP code 28173 is outlined in pink (except for the village, known as Waxhaw in post office name only):

28173 - Google Maps

The larger area includes parts of Marvin, Wesley Chapel and Weddington, but they all have a Waxhaw address.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,670,397 times
^ good post for clarification. IMO if you desire to go to South Park or downtown on regular basis and live in village of Waxhaw, it is a looong haul, I pitty the folks that have to make that commute to Uptown for work every day. The Weddington, Marvin area are a little more palatable commutes and very desirable areas to live.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM

I loved the Marvin area, but all the houses I saw didn't go below 400k.
Weddington is another area we really enjoy. We practically live in Weddington now. We are in Matthews, but Weddington is literally across the street. Our address often has Matthews or weddington as the city.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,241,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Keep in mind that there's a big difference between the Village of Waxhaw, and everything else in ZIP code 28173 in Western Union County.

The village of Waxhaw is approximately this (area in pink):

waxhaw, nc - Google Maps

While ZIP code 28173 is outlined in pink (except for the village, known as Waxhaw in post office name only):

28173 - Google Maps

The larger area includes parts of Marvin, Wesley Chapel and Weddington, but they all have a Waxhaw address.
Are you the North Carolina version of Walter from the LI forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte