U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM

3,472 posts, read 3,343,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Soooo sorry I linked it again. Shame on me.
BTW read the link about driver getting lost? Imagine with GPS and all, dumb bunny thought his big bad bus would fit under a tenny weenie bridge.

Do it for a living.....?
One crash out of all of the trips they make daily is still a pretty good record IMO. Have you or anyone you know ever been in a car accident? I guess you/they should all be banned from driving.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,074,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
One crash out of all of the trips they make daily is still a pretty good record IMO. Have you or anyone you know ever been in a car accident? I guess you/they should all be banned from driving.

Yep. Go use them, you know what you're talking about for sure. Good analogy you give. Sorry I can't rep you.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

I don't know where you got the information that they have had only one tiny weenie bit of an accident.

They,according to the link below, have less than a sterling record. (See incidents and accidents). Incidents include multiple drunk driving, speeeding, killing 14 people, record keeping on hours driven violations and....

Look Phil, I have no horse in this race. I use Amtrak once a month to Saavannah and back.

If you care to use them--Great! But, one should be careful to not mislead an OP who might think they are the world' greatest. They are not by a long shot.

Megabus (North America) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I don't know where you got the information that they have had only one tiny weenie bit of an accident.

They,according to the link below, have less than a sterling record. (See incidents and accidents). Incidents include multiple drunk driving, speeeding, killing 14 people, record keeping on hours driven violations and....

Look Phil, I have no horse in this race. I use Amtrak once a month to Saavannah and back.

If you care to use them--Great! But, one should be careful to not mislead an OP who might think they are the world' greatest. They are not by a long shot.

Megabus (North America) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never said they're the world's greatest but you're kidding yourself if you really think Megabus is "dangerous."

You might want to learn to read. The 14 fatalities was NOT Megabus. The article you kept referring to was the one and only time anyone has EVER died from riding the Megabus. How many people die in car accidents each year?

The only other "notable" incidents the wikipedia article mentions are a guy with a 0.07 BAC...yes not good for a bus driver but not worth a lynching, a guy who failed a field sobriety test, and a bus sliding off the road in a wind and snowstorm where only 8 passengers reported minor injuries.

The OP was not worried about the Megabus crashing (although yes you should always be worried about anything on the road crashing). She was worried about the dangers of the other PASSENGERS on the bus, not the bus itself.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:29 PM

'Awful jolt': Amtrak crash injures 16 in Calif. - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Amtrak crash sends 10 people to hospital, disrupts rail service between Detroit, Chicago | MLive.com

Amtrak Vehicle Crash: Car's driver killed in crash with Amtrak train - chicagotribune.com

I can't believe you put your life in the hands of these jokesters once a month!

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM

AS I said Phil I could care less whether you or her use it. Not important. What I DO object to are your rude comments about me "learning to read". Not nice and not necessary especially when I'm trying to put info out there.

Your references to Amtrak, which I cared to share with you (really won't happen again bc I see your style) are not relavent to the subject.

Lastly, your comments about OP wanted to know about the "other passengers" is correct. I didn't care to post that here as it would scare the heck out of her. IF YOU CARE to do a search "Reviews on Megabus", and you decide.

Finished with this tread. Good luck. No need to respond to my post.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Yes you should learn to read. You said there were 14 fatalities from a Megabus, which is not true. Giving false information is not helpful to the OP.

How were those Amtrak references irrelevant? For one, you brought it up. And it is 100% relevant since you are trying to scare people into thinking that the Megabus is a death trap when Amtrak has had just as many incidents if not more.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 PM

22,005 posts, read 39,544,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmanjg View Post
One of the things I have heard about Megabus vs the "chinatown" buses we have all been referring to is the fact that you MUST buy tickets online for megabus from their website, there is no other way to get them. This supposedly weeds out some of the more suspicious clientele (like homeless people) that you often find on the lower quality bus lines. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, thanks for all your responses, you all have been really helpful and informative. I decided to go ahead and buy tickets to ride the Megabus and will definitely report back as to what my experience was when I get back!

Let me remind everyone of terms of service. The Op has already booked her trip and was wanting individual experience and not transportation of your choice statistics.

Whitmanjg, look forward for you to share how your trip was.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM

27 posts, read 42,062 times
I know this is a very old thread but I realized I forgot to report back how my experience was and I'm sure anyone else thinking about riding would be interested to hear.

Overall, my experience was great! No one on the bus was "sketchy" and I never once felt threatened. Everyone on the bus mostly kept to themselves, so it was quiet enough to sleep, although the seats were so narrow it was very hard to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. The bus drivers I had were very nice, one even turned around and drove several miles back to a gas station we had stopped at because a car had flagged her down telling her they thought she left someone at the gas station (she didnt, but we went back just to make sure.). When we stopped for lunch or snack breaks (once each way other than stopping at pick up locations) we were given about 20 minutes to get some food and stretch. The Wifi advertised on the bus did not work for me on either trip but it wasnt a big deal to me. We were on time or early to every stop.

Hope this helps someone! I will definitely be riding again if I can make another trip to NY soon.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,134,998 times
Thanks for letting us know about your experience. This will definitely help others with their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmanjg View Post
I know this is a very old thread but I realized I forgot to report back how my experience was and I'm sure anyone else thinking about riding would be interested to hear.

Overall, my experience was great! No one on the bus was "sketchy" and I never once felt threatened. Everyone on the bus mostly kept to themselves, so it was quiet enough to sleep, although the seats were so narrow it was very hard to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. The bus drivers I had were very nice, one even turned around and drove several miles back to a gas station we had stopped at because a car had flagged her down telling her they thought she left someone at the gas station (she didnt, but we went back just to make sure.). When we stopped for lunch or snack breaks (once each way other than stopping at pick up locations) we were given about 20 minutes to get some food and stretch. The Wifi advertised on the bus did not work for me on either trip but it wasnt a big deal to me. We were on time or early to every stop.

Hope this helps someone! I will definitely be riding again if I can make another trip to NY soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte