U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM

27 posts, read 42,030 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old female, and am planning on riding the Megabus from Charlotte to DC (overnight) and DC to New York. I've never ridden before and am just wondering how safe the Megabus is? Has anyone ever ridden it overnight? Ever felt threatened or like it was sketchy in any way? I have read plenty of complaints online about the bus not being on time ect, but nothing really about it being dangerous. Just looking for some insight if this is a really bad idea or if I'll be ok as long as I am careful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 PM

44,764 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmanjg View Post
I'm a 21 year old female, and am planning on riding the Megabus from Charlotte to DC (overnight) and DC to New York. I've never ridden before and am just wondering how safe the Megabus is? Has anyone ever ridden it overnight? Ever felt threatened or like it was sketchy in any way? I have read plenty of complaints online about the bus not being on time ect, but nothing really about it being dangerous. Just looking for some insight if this is a really bad idea or if I'll be ok as long as I am careful. Thanks!
Do some further research, there was a terrible crash of one of these buses in the last year where several people were killed.

One of the Charlotte news stations was doing "investigative reporting" on the one leaving out of Charlotte for quite a while there. Turned out the driver didn't even speak English and couldn't communicate with riders or the reporter trying to talk to him. This company has had numerous violations and troubles with being fined.

Why not just take Greyhound instead?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct...afety-20111101

http://wvgazette.com/ap/ApBusiness/201105110203

http://gothamist.com/2011/05/31/four..._bus_overt.php

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM

35,458 posts, read 43,093,122 times
Have you thought about rail? This is supposed to be a nice trip and I would think - safe. I have never heard any complaints. I would suggest going by rail. Good luck!

NCDOT Rail Division > Passenger Trains > Tickets and Fares

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,132,966 times
There is tragedy just being on a road period! If you do your research, there will be major accidents with all of them. However, if you look at bus accidents on a daily basis, it is few, and far between. I say go ahead and take the bus. I know many people who ride the Sky Bus to Charlotte/New York. They haven't had any negative experiences, except for some people on the bus, who talk to much with cell phones. If I had to visit NYC, I would take the bus. It is far cheaper than gas/tolls.

Don't let all the negative hype scare you away. It's the cars on the road/highways that scare me more than buses.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,399,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why not just take Greyhound instead?
Megabus is a far more pleasant experience. You don't have to deal with long layovers in shady stations. It's also much cheaper and attracts a different clientele. It only makes two or three stops between here and DC, but as far as I know, you will have to switch buses in DC. Have they opened a straight line to NYC?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,399,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have you thought about rail? This is supposed to be a nice trip and I would think - safe. I have never heard any complaints. I would suggest going by rail. Good luck!

NCDOT Rail Division > Passenger Trains > Tickets and Fares
Megabus is about $250 cheaper than Amtrak.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM

5,390 posts, read 5,070,373 times
^^^^and worth it

Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM

27 posts, read 42,030 times
Thanks everyone for your input! Yeah I have heard lots of horror stories about the chinatown buses which is why I wanted to check this one out, I have a guy friend that rides it to and from new york a lot, but my family is nervous about me because I'm a woman. Glad to know its a generally pleasant experience. And the reason I'm not going with Amtrak is that its much more expensive (as someone already mentioned) and being soon-to-be college graduate, I'm trying to save as much money as possible right now, but obviously I dont want to risk safety

And yes, I am switching buses in DC. I wish there were a straight ride to NYC but I don't mind too much. I'm giving myself a 2 hour layover though just in case the bus gets behind, plus the stop is at Union Station so I figure I can get breakfast and hang out safely for a while.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 PM

44,764 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmanjg View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! Yeah I have heard lots of horror stories about the chinatown buses which is why I wanted to check this one out, I have a guy friend that rides it to and from new york a lot, but my family is nervous about me because I'm a woman. Glad to know its a generally pleasant experience. And the reason I'm not going with Amtrak is that its much more expensive (as someone already mentioned) and being soon-to-be college graduate, I'm trying to save as much money as possible right now, but obviously I dont want to risk safety

And yes, I am switching buses in DC. I wish there were a straight ride to NYC but I don't mind too much. I'm giving myself a 2 hour layover though just in case the bus gets behind, plus the stop is at Union Station so I figure I can get breakfast and hang out safely for a while.
Sounds like you're doing your homework.

Have a great trip to the Big Apple!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 AM

1,671 posts, read 4,132,966 times
Here's another option:
Bus from New York to Charlotte - GotoBus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte