U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGal2476 View Post
My daughter goes to Cuthbertson Middle School and she comes home all the time with stories about the stupid things kids get in trouble for- holding hands in the hall comes to mind right now as something she told me about. I don't doubt that this could just have been some kid playing a prank with oregano and the school overreacting.
I'd rather see the school come down hard on kids for doing stupid things than turning a blind eye, like a couple of other schools in the area do. At least I know that the school administration is actively paying attention and are concerned about the well being and safety of all its students.

I find it interesting that the mother is more worried about the kids reputation ongoing, rather than him learning an important life lesson in being a bit more mature and not doing stupid stuff, when he shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,511 times
55 days for oregano and 6 months for baby powder.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I'd rather see the school come down hard on kids for doing stupid things than turning a blind eye, like a couple of other schools in the area do. At least I know that the school administration is actively paying attention and are concerned about the well being and safety of all its students.

I find it interesting that the mother is more worried about the kids reputation ongoing, rather than him learning an important life lesson in being a bit more mature and not doing stupid stuff, when he shouldn't.
Why is it important that schools "come down hard on kids doing stupid things"?ie; aren't "stupid" things a relative" thing? What's stupid to you as an adult is not stupid to an 8th grader? Look, this kid took a lesson about majia uana and got creative: this oregano looks similar to weed. I wonder if the dumbo next to me in class knows the difference. Creative in my mind. Not stupid.

"Blind eye"?.... Teachers are not that smart. "Safety"? Read the guides lines regarding that word. The infraction is to threaten the "safety" of another child. Did that happen?

"worried abt his rep"... of course! would'nt you worry about your child's?

Every read the bible? ""Be child like". (think free of restriction, open your mind to creative fresh ideas lol)

Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM

OH, and BTW, what harm or damage to the original lesson plan did this kid do?

Anybody??

Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM

I guess the reason this thread bothers me so much is because of the video I received today and linked below. The video is lengthty and the part you might be interested in is when the speaker makes a reference to 7th grade students across America.

Moderator: If this is not suitable for the Charlotte forum feel free to move it.TaboolaArticle

Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM

972 posts, read 2,136,531 times
I still think the whole story is not being told. There has to be something else for the suspension to be increased after it was already being served. Maybe I'm just jaded after witnessing too many pranks, poor conduct choices and just rude children who parents act completely surprised at conferences.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Why is it important that schools "come down hard on kids doing stupid things"?ie; aren't "stupid" things a relative" thing? What's stupid to you as an adult is not stupid to an 8th grader? Look, this kid took a lesson about majia uana and got creative: this oregano looks similar to weed. I wonder if the dumbo next to me in class knows the difference. Creative in my mind. Not stupid.

"Blind eye"?.... Teachers are not that smart. "Safety"? Read the guides lines regarding that word. The infraction is to threaten the "safety" of another child. Did that happen?

"worried abt his rep"... of course! would'nt you worry about your child's?

Every read the bible? ""Be child like". (think free of restriction, open your mind to creative fresh ideas lol)

Kidding right? Ever heard the term personal responsibility? Kids aren't taught that any more. Anything goes and we'll let the lawyers sort it all out; yeah take a bag of oregano to school, call it weed. Nobody cares, lets all have a good laugh about it. Mommy will have a great laugh with all the girls at bunco tomorrow night and brag how creative little Johnny is. Give me a break will ya.

Yes, I would be worried enough about my kids rep to teach him not be a dumb @zz and do dumb @zz things in school. Whether he got 55 days, 10 days or 10 minutes it was flat out dumb, and as a parent my concern is that I am raising a dumb @zz kid.

And lets keep the bible out of it, because there are many passages that talk about being a responsible parent, teaching your children, sparing the rod etc. So lets not go there.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,565,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Kidding right? Ever heard the term personal responsibility? Kids aren't taught that any more. Anything goes and we'll let the lawyers sort it all out; yeah take a bag of oregano to school, call it weed. Nobody cares, lets all have a good laugh about it. Mommy will have a great laugh with all the girls at bunco tomorrow night and brag how creative little Johnny is. Give me a break will ya.

Yes, I would be worried enough about my kids rep to teach him not be a dumb @zz and do dumb @zz things in school. Whether he got 55 days, 10 days or 10 minutes it was flat out dumb, and as a parent my concern is that I am raising a dumb @zz kid.

And lets keep the bible out of it, because there are many passages that talk about being a responsible parent, teaching your children, sparing the rod etc. So lets not go there.
Agree, responsabilty has to rest with both kids and parents at home.
As a society we cannot expect to ignore kids behaviour and accountability when at home and hope that in limited time/authority teachers will transform them in model citizens...

I definitely don't want my kids to be in the class with "creative kids" who have no respect towards peers and/or teachers.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
He's suspended over oregano? Hopefully, he doesn't get dropped in it.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,199,518 times
Maybe it was medicinal oregano
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or