Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,219 times

Advertisements

i'm moving to Charlotte in mid-july. i will be working downtown, yet have no desire to live in the city.. been there done that. i would greatly appreciate any suggestions from locals on the best apartments to live for the value. ...i've heard that taking the light rail is a good transportation option for anyone trying to avoid paying for parking/dealing with traffic downtown.

i am in my mid 20s and will have a roommate, so a 2 bedroom place that is affordable, but not in the ghetto, & provides an easy route to the downtown area would be perfect. anything near the light rail would be great as well. my price range is anything less than $500 a month (per person) so that crosses some places out

ps. i've tried hunting for places online, looking at apartment reviews.. but it gets me nowhere.

thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM

28 posts, read 50,621 times
charlotte downtown is not like other downtown's so, may want to reconsider. I always pick living close to work vs commute, makes life so much more easier.

zip code 28209 is a nice area. (google map it)
but you'll hate life commuting to work.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Noobinacan thanks for the advice. i'll definitely look at things a little differently.. haven't spent a lot of time in charlotte, so i shouldn't be so quick to judge.

so even commuting on the light rail is a hassle?

i'll check out that zip code. the only issue with looking for apartments that way is that you get maybe the apartment website, and then a ton of negative reviews (seems like every apartment has an unlimited amount)

Last edited by qccvx; 02-21-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qccvx View Post
i'm moving to Charlotte in mid-july. i will be working downtown, yet have no desire to live in the city.. been there done that. i would greatly appreciate any suggestions from locals on the best apartments to live for the value. ...i've heard that taking the light rail is a good transportation option for anyone trying to avoid paying for parking/dealing with traffic downtown.

i am in my mid 20s and will have a roommate, so a 2 bedroom place that is affordable, but not in the ghetto, & provides an easy route to the downtown area would be perfect. anything near the light rail would be great as well. my price range is anything less than $500 a month (per person) so that crosses some places out

ps. i've tried hunting for places online, looking at apartment reviews.. but it gets me nowhere.

thanks for any help!

Uptown Charlotte is a not like bigger city downtowns

However, you may not be able to find a two bedroom in your price range there.

In addition, the decent places to live along the light rail will be harder to get in to in your range too.

I would suggest you look a little further south at the Southpark area.

I like Alexander Place there.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 PM

lovesMountain thank you!! I will check that out. I can go up on the price if it's worth it.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM

128 posts, read 221,135 times
I would check out the Elizabeth Neighborhood (off of 7th Street, just south of downtown) Lots of choices in your price range - although for most you might want to drive around because the complexes are small and rarely advertise on line. It's convenient to downtown (would be a quick bus ride) and has lots of young folks, restaurangs, bars, and is relatively walkable. Plus it's close to other neighborhoods that have the same (particulary Plaza Midwood and Noda.) Southpark, seems to me, about higher end shopping and dining and attracts an older/family crowd. If you can only afford $500/month for rent you may feel a bit underfunded.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 AM

18,399 posts, read 6,999,171 times
Not getting why some are suggesting South Park.... (high dollar area)

If commuting is not out of the question I would consider looking at renting an older Mill house in one of the surrounding areas like Concord.
These were built by the old fabric mill companies for their employees and are literally all over the place in some of the surrounding communities.
They are generally lower square footage comparable to large apartment and can be in pleasant , if not affluent neighborhoods (or not so nice neighborhoods also) However there is no light rail available to these areas so you'd be looking at car or bus.
Anything in your price range here is going to require some time to find something acceptable though.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM

821 posts, read 1,842,177 times
I would look in the Matthews area and consider catching an express bus into Charlotte. My daughter and a friend rent from Colonial Grand. She likes the company. She previously rented from them at one of their developments on the north end of Charlotte. Shopping options are very good and I would consider it very safe (it's about 1/4 a mile from the Matthews Police Department.
The web site is

Colonial Properties[id]/22828/launch_guest_card/1/

If you check the URL, make sure you get the entire address because the last character ("/")drops to the next line in my response.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,990,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Not getting why some are suggesting South Park.... (high dollar area)

If commuting is not out of the question I would consider looking at renting an older Mill house in one of the surrounding areas like Concord.
These were built by the old fabric mill companies for their employees and are literally all over the place in some of the surrounding communities.
They are generally lower square footage comparable to large apartment and can be in pleasant , if not affluent neighborhoods (or not so nice neighborhoods also) However there is no light rail available to these areas so you'd be looking at car or bus.
Anything in your price range here is going to require some time to find something acceptable though.
I believe the OP is looking for a 2 bedroom for $1000 or under (to share with a roommate). $1000 for a 2bd would be very tough in downtown itself (except for maybe Tryon House which is very old and a tad sketchy), look at some of the older buildings in Dilworth or Elizabeth. While these would not be on the light rail line, there is pretty decent bus service to both areas to get you downtown quickly. There are only a handful of (older) places in SouthPark that would meet your price specs - Oldtowne might be one. There are also a few hidden gems in Myers Park in your price range (Bucknell Place on Selwyn for instance)

If you want a newer apartment and are willing to go a little further south down Providence or Park Road, there are some places (such as Camden Fairview and Strawberry Hill on Providence and Fairview) that will put you relatively close to South Park and still not TOO far from downtown while still being on the bus line.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 AM

576 posts, read 584,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
I would check out the Elizabeth Neighborhood (off of 7th Street, just south of downtown) Lots of choices in your price range - although for most you might want to drive around because the complexes are small and rarely advertise on line. It's convenient to downtown (would be a quick bus ride) and has lots of young folks, restaurangs, bars, and is relatively walkable. Plus it's close to other neighborhoods that have the same (particulary Plaza Midwood and Noda.) Southpark, seems to me, about higher end shopping and dining and attracts an older/family crowd. If you can only afford $500/month for rent you may feel a bit underfunded.
Yeah that would be a good area.

Also check out Eastover Ridge, the Regency, Villages at Eastover Glen, Queens Station maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte