U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,907 times

Advertisements

Yeah, because we don't have any culture, live music, or city life here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 AM

199 posts, read 885,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Yeah, because we don't have any culture, live music, or city life here.

I did not say that we don't have _any_ culture, live music, city life in Charlotte but if you compare it to Austin, there's much less here.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,770,246 times
Yes, I agree, we have it here, but Austin has more. While there are artsy parts of Charlotte, when a city is mostly whitecollar, there tends to be less of an artsy feel overall.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
I'd move to Austin -> Culture, real downtown, live music, more international, big city but also college town, UT football
Hi cgballer. Here's your post. Insinuation is that Austin has these things and we don't. Guess your second post cleared it up a bit, and I agree Austin has a different vibe and scene. I just tire easily of the slamming of the Charlotte culture scene when most people talking about it are more than likely not even a part of, or familiar, with it. (Although I don't think you meant it that way.)

We actually have a very well respected and vibrant arts scene. Apparently if there are not tatted up, pierced hippies playing guitar or jazz flute on every corner it is assumed otherwise.

Last edited by kmway; 09-07-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 PM

12 posts, read 70,781 times
My opinion:
I was born and raised in Austin, and now live in Charlotte. I like both cities however if your family is more of the outdoors type I would do Austin. Where as Charlotte feels more like of an indoor city. When living in Charlotte I have done more activities indoors, and when living in Austin I am always outside. As far as kids... I enjoyed myself better growing up in Austin. It has way better parks and recreation things for families than charlotte does. Take it from me because I have experienced both cities!

Old 09-08-2007, 05:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,377,545 times
Both cities have their merits, but I'd choose Charlotte. It seems to have more to do OVERALL. In normal summers, the heat here is a bit more tolerable. I've never lived in Austin, but was there a lot when I worked for IBM. I didn't notice any difference in the "indoor/outdoor" thing one poster mentioned. I've been to many cities and don't see Charlotte as an indoor city at all. We're out and about all of the time at parks, greenways, whitewater center, botanical gardens, theme park, etc. and hardly find those places deserted. LOTS to do outdoors and indoors. We're never bored here. Funny how people can see the very same things totally different sometimes.

Too, we like taking road trips and I like that Charlotte's so convenient to the different east coast vacation spots like Orlando, Washington, and NYC, including the NC mountains and coast.

Again, both are very good places. I just prefer Charlotte. Good luck!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 21,789 times
Thank you for all the helpful comments. I have a week to think about which job offer I'll accept. Definitely both cities have great things to offer so it seems that whatever we chose will be just fine.

I guess I should make my decision based more on the professional aspects of the job instead of the city characteristics (both cities are wonderful !). Thanks again...

Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,241,464 times
Why do you dislike Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Austin is in Texas. For me, that's the end of the story and the decision right there. Charlotte, hands down!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 AM

264 posts, read 828,302 times
I don't get the hate for Texas either. But then I am always surprised at the nastiness I see on this board.

I am a native Texan and have lived in both places. If you had asked me before I had a child, there would be no contest. Austin, hands down. I have a strong affinity for all things Texas, the culture, history, food, etc. and Austin has a great music scene and arts life. It's also the prettiest part of the state.

Aesthetically the two cities have much in common. Lots of trees and green space. Austin probably has more older neighborhoods if you like that kind of thing. There are parts of Austin that are almost identical to Charlotte when it comes to the newer family-friendly suburbs. So if suburban life is what you want, it's probably a toss-up.

Austin is fun, trendy, artsy, and besides the capital politicos, very liberal. There is a very strong music scene, which is far and away beyond any other than Nashville, New York or LA. There is an active film production community. There are tons of good galleries and theater venues. In the way of arts, there is much more going on in Austin, which for some reason Charlotteans take as a slam. Not sure why. Austin also is a high-tech hub so it has a white collar element, too, but nothing like the financial presence in Charlotte.

However I think Charlotte is a great place to raise children and at this point in my life, I would choose Charlotte.

As another said, the proximity to mountains, beach, and other cities on the East Coast also would factor into my decision. Geographically, almost anywhere in Texas is not very close to anything but more Texas or Oklahoma. Austin is in the middle of the Hill Country, which is pretty, but no trip to the beach. You're not far from San Antonio or Houston, which are both fun destinations, but not much else. If you visit the West Coast for family or business, being in Texas is more convenient.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Of course Austin is know as the "Live music center" of the U.S. I am told that Austin beats Charlotte in that arena. Austin is also a big college town. If those things are important to you, I'd chose Austin. However, Charlotte is a more international city with the banking, international airport, and geographical location between New York and Miami. Overall it is a very close toss-up. It seems that several cities are at the same level as far as growth, opportunity, etc. They are Charlotte, Austin, and Portland. You probably wouldn't go wrong with either choice. You really need to choose based on your priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or