U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM

162 posts, read 319,797 times

Advertisements

I realize this post is YEARS old...but for new people doing searches I want to mention something.

We live just outside of Austin and have not been to Charlotte YET. We will be there in 3 weeks, as my husband has many interviews lined up all over NC.

The thought of the humidity there in NC *does* make me more than a tad nervous....however, one thing is painfully clear to us.

Property taxes in Austin average 3%. Yes, I realize that we do not have state income tax, so this post is I am sorry, geared more toward people who plan for retirement. Once my husband retires, he will no longer have a weekly wage that will or will not be taxed......but Oh my...property taxes will always be paid LOL

Here in the Austin area (and many other areas of TX as well) that property tax is just another mtg payment.

So, although the *overall* tax burden may seem about even, I have found I am more willing to spend less on groceries, keep the a/c running a bit less etc. in order to keep my COL lower. BUT, I do not want to live in a much less prefered area (for us, of course this is all subjective lol) in order to keep the property tax down once the mtg is paid off or especially while saving for retirement with a mtg payment.

I know there are so many variables to every situation and we often think we should stay put here in TX b/c my husbands wages are better here, but in reality, he won't be able to retire if we want to own a home......which we do.

Just a; *don't forget to study the obvious* opinion from a limited perspective! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by regh View Post
I am currently living in Miami (relocated from the Bay Area in 98) but now that that I am married and have a child we want to move to a more family friendly area. I have received offer letters from companies in Charlotte and Austin, TX. The salary is 10% higher in Austin but the benefits are better in Charlotte. Can someone help me compare both cities, the pros and cons ? I have heard that the air quality in Charlotte is pretty bad (almost as bad as LA) but I have also heard some wonderful things about NC. Any thoughts are welcomed.. Thanks !

Last edited by SoManyPlaces; 09-25-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Hard choice. Both places have their advantages and are nice in my humble opinion. I would be content in either. I would obviously pick Charlotte because of family and flight options overseas.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM

162 posts, read 179,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
I'd move to Austin -> Culture, real downtown, live music, more international, big city but also college town, UT football
The downside to Austin is that the airport is pretty crappy. You're going to end up connecting through to Huston all the time. This was the deal breaker for me.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 PM

85 posts, read 160,375 times
You're obsessed with money, you will love Charlotte

Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM

407 posts, read 726,988 times
A sign in the Austin Airport KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD and also seen in several other places.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Hello,
We need to be acutely aware of the money...for *us*. I wrote the post for new people who come to the thread more than for the op, since that post was so old

The truth for us is that property taxes DO keep us from staying in Austin, because we will not earn enough from ss to make a mtg payment. My husband would like to retire someday rather than work 40-60 hours until the day he dies in order to have a home of our own.

Same idea between renting vs buying *for us*...if we save and buy without having a mtg., then all we have left is property taxes and all the other things that add into COL. So, with COL being somewhat equal, the largest chunck of money will go toward the property taxes.

Sure, we could move somewhere that provides an even lower COL with total tax burden considered...but it is *not* all about the money....just enough about it to have a nice place to live .....that we can afford.

Wish we had not messed up our retirement plan, that is our fault, but now we must be realistic, continue working hard and make the best choices for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post

Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM

What exactly do you mean? I honestly want to know and am asking because I truly want to know why you have that opinion. The more opinions and observations we can receive, the more we can be on the lookout and research that particular opinion. So, I am not being snarky LOL I truly want you to explain your thinking/feeling to me.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post

Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 PM

3,389 posts, read 4,773,404 times
Having lived in both cities, I prefer Charlotte because it's a bit more cosmopolitan than Austin which is a college town. Austin is beautiful with the Colorado River flowing through downtown and Texas does not have a state tax, but the property taxes were through the roof! The airport, to me, really doesn't do the city justice and seems small for a city it's size.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM

3,389 posts, read 4,773,404 times
What I failed to mention, though, is that Austin's local economy is stronger and nearly recession-proof! Whereas Charlotte's economy is tied in with the banking industry.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
What exactly do you mean? I honestly want to know and am asking because I truly want to know why you have that opinion. The more opinions and observations we can receive, the more we can be on the lookout and research that particular opinion. So, I am not being snarky LOL I truly want you to explain your thinking/feeling to me.

Thank you!
HE is being snarky. Well-known Charlotte naysayer who likes to drop in from time to time, lob some turds and slink away.

I would pay him NO attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or