Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I moved to Charlotte back in 2008 had no idea of any family ties to the area. Within the past month my mom explained to me some family ties I have to the area while finishing the family tree. I could find the ones in Old Settlers cemetary.

However, while looking at the tree, multiple lines came from Charlotte. These are people that was born and died here in Charlotte ranging from 1750 - 1835.

Was there a second cemetary at that time in the Meck area?

Is there a genealogy research center in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM

469 posts, read 890,880 times
Hopewell Presbyterian Church Cemetery dates back that far - it's in Huntersville near Latta Plantation. I think they might have listings online of who is buried there. There's also a very old cemetery in Matthews - I think it's just called the Historic Matthews cemetery. I've been to both of those cemeteries. I'd say your best bet is Hopewell though.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Did you check out findagrave.com? Good resource.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
The Carolina Room at the main library is where you need to spend some time!

CMLibrary: Main Library - Carolina Room

There may be information on landowners, wills, church records . . . part of your ancestors may have lived in Charlotte but been born in other areas or moved outside city limits. For example, one of my lines includes a marriage with a woman whose parents lived in Charlotte in the mid-1700s, but once she married, she moved to what would be modern-day Iredell County so she is buried in Iredell, not Meck.

I would suggest you spend time in the Carolina room - very helpful folks there! See what primary documents may be available to give you more insight on where these folks actually lived and who knows - you may find info on what church they attended wh/ would give you a clue where they may be buried.

Good luck! It is an exciting adventure finding out more about the lives of those who came before us!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,537 times
I appreciate everyones help and suggestions. Looking forward to looking into this more this weekend. Guess I've got the bug now

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The Carolina Room at the main library is where you need to spend some time!

CMLibrary: Main Library - Carolina Room

There may be information on landowners, wills, church records . . . part of your ancestors may have lived in Charlotte but been born in other areas or moved outside city limits. For example, one of my lines includes a marriage with a woman whose parents lived in Charlotte in the mid-1700s, but once she married, she moved to what would be modern-day Iredell County so she is buried in Iredell, not Meck.

I would suggest you spend time in the Carolina room - very helpful folks there! See what primary documents may be available to give you more insight on where these folks actually lived and who knows - you may find info on what church they attended wh/ would give you a clue where they may be buried.

Good luck! It is an exciting adventure finding out more about the lives of those who came before us!
Great suggestion. In addition, the last time I was there, the Carolina Room has access to Ancestry.com for library users, even if the person needing information does not have a subscription ($145 per year, I believe). Rootsweb.org or .com is a good site to check from home. Roots is now tied to Ancestry.com, but is free the last time I checked. Use it with a grain of salt because there's some garbage in...and as the expression goes, garbage in-garbage out.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckiec_30 View Post
I appreciate everyones help and suggestions. Looking forward to looking into this more this weekend. Guess I've got the bug now
Please let us know how we can help further.

There are some folks here who are into genealogy and may have more suggestions if you hit a brick wall, especially once you start filling in the blanks and can determine where your folks actually lived.

If your predecessors fought in the Revolutionary War, the DAR may have records that can assist, as well.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckiec_30 View Post
Hi,

I moved to Charlotte back in 2008 had no idea of any family ties to the area. Within the past month my mom explained to me some family ties I have to the area while finishing the family tree. I could find the ones in Old Settlers cemetary.

However, while looking at the tree, multiple lines came from Charlotte. These are people that was born and died here in Charlotte ranging from 1750 - 1835.

Was there a second cemetary at that time in the Meck area?

Is there a genealogy research center in the area?
There is also a carolina Room at the main Gaston County library in Gastonia. What are the surnames & do you know the religions?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Great suggestion. In addition, the last time I was there, the Carolina Room has access to Ancestry.com for library users, even if the person needing information does not have a subscription ($145 per year, I believe). Rootsweb.org or .com is a good site to check from home. Roots is now tied to Ancestry.com, but is free the last time I checked. Use it with a grain of salt because there's some garbage in...and as the expression goes, garbage in-garbage out.
As long as you have a computer & a library card, you can access Heritage Quest at home.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM

I happened to think about Tryon County. It no longer exists. It was formed from Mecklenberg County & existed from 1768 - 1779. That's within your timeline. This might help. Tryon County, NC USGenWeb Page

For those of us who have researched or are researching in colonial NC, the surnames may help us to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte