Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Condo, townhome life, travel tickets, flight schedule, AirTran, Jetblue,

Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

I have the luxury of having a job that will allow me to live anywere within my respective territory, which is the Eastern US. I am now living in FL and have been for many years. I am sick of FL and being more centrally located in my territory makes more sense for my job. My question(s) is are any of you constantly flying out of CLT for work? How is the cost of doing such? My job pays decent and my wife works (DINKs), but I have a marketing budget that I have to fall under. I know US Air pretty much has CLT on lockdown and my experience is that tends to drive up prices. I guess that is one nice thing about FL is that it is very cheap to travel. Other option would be northern VA/DC/MD and maybe even ATL.

From what I have heard/read housing will be much cheaper than Northern VA and I guess slightly less than FL. How is the condo & townhome life in downtown? We are both in our 30's and enjoy having fun on the weekends. Is it worth living in downtown with plenty to do or does it fizzle out at night & and on the weekends? I would have to be near a happening area in order for me to convince the wife.

TIA

Last edited by 41ants; 09-06-2007 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
The triad might be a better option for you far as air travel tickets are generally lower at PTI and RDU than at CLT

Even if the plane is going from Greensboro to Charlotte to lets say Orlando it would be cheaper to go to PTI than just fly that same flight out of Charlotte.

Good luck in your quest

Old 09-07-2007, 04:56 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,908 times
Fares out of CLT have dropped in the past couple of years. One reason is US Airways has adjusted their fares since the merge with America West. Another reason is competition. AirTran and Jetblue both fly to CLT now. In addition to flying to their hub cities they also offer point to point flying in several markets, Boston, Orlando, Chicago Midway, & Baltimore come to mind there may be more. So CLT has gone from one of the most expensive markets to one with the biggest drop in airfares. If you have the luxury of planning your flights ahead of time you should be able to find a good fare. However if you must book last minute fares will probably still be high.

RDU has Southwest and really cheap average fares. Greensboro used to be much cheaper than CLT but no so much anymore. An advantage CLT has over GSO and RDU is the number of cities served non-stop. US Airways serves almost every major city on the east coast and many secondary markets.

Here are a couple of web sites that may help you research
faremeasure.com and flytecomm.com/cgi-bin/trackflight

Good Luck

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,420 times
OP, I am in the same position as you. Around your age, no kids (I am single though), and travel for work. I travel a lot in state but I do fly at least every other week and yes, it is much more expensive to fly out of Charlotte. The trade-off is that the cost of living and variety of things to do here is fantastic. I was recently given the option of also living anywhere from Miami to Pittsburgh and still chose to stay here. Sunny is right, the rates are somewhat cheaper from the Triad, but there is no way I personally could live there as a young person with no kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: