U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times

Advertisements

Coming from NJ, they did the practice EOG'S here right when school started..we are here 4 months so they know what the kids know, well we were informed on thrusday evening by my dd's teacher 3rd grade that she is so far behind in Math...we have alot of catch up to do...to say the least we are a bit appauled with NJ...that is another story...lol

both my kids are in the Marvin Ridge Cluster...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,395 times
Don't be appalled at the state of New Jersey, be appalled that you sent your kids to a crappy school in New Jersey.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 09-08-2007 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 12,290 times
Redd Jedd, thanks for the soccer info. My daughter has played since she was 5, and will definitely play in NC.

FLtoNC, glad to know about the EOG tests now! That's the kind of thing I come to this forum to find out. Seems like that kind of "on-the-ground" knowledge is always left out of the standard relocation chats and kits!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,290 times
Anyone know if we can get practice EOG tests BEFORE we get to NC? My son struggles with math a lot. We have a tutor for him once a week who is great, and she could work through the practice exam with him before he goes.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Don't be appalled at the state of New Jersey, be appalled that you sent your kids to a crappy school in New Jersey.
Are you speaking from experience of sending your kids to NJ or NC schools?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:06 PM

396 posts, read 1,500,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2FL2NY2NC View Post
Anyone know if we can get practice EOG tests BEFORE we get to NC? My son struggles with math a lot. We have a tutor for him once a week who is great, and she could work through the practice exam with him before he goes.

If you are moving mid-year, they will honestly have plenty of time to practice before the testing in May. My son's teacher gave us several practice tests from the previous year. But honestly, they aren't that tough. We came from St. Petersburg and our kids tested two years ahead of their current grade EOG. It's really pretty basic knowledge. I think the only thing my son needed some help with was metric conversion....as that is a big deal here.
Last year my kids spent from April 1 - May 14 "practicing" for the EOG's in class. Trust me...they want the kids prepped.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Are you speaking from experience of sending your kids to NJ or NC schools?
Just look at the school rankings. She sent her kids to a crappy school.

Smartest State 2006-2007

Old 09-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Just look at the school rankings. She sent her kids to a crappy school.

Smartest State 2006-2007
Thanks Brian- and interesting link. I may actual buy the book that site ultimately is attempting to sell.

However it would still be helpful for you to share your first hand experience with your children relative to public schools, consider the very strong opinion you have on the first hand experience of someone else and their children.

Thank You

Old 09-08-2007, 05:11 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,440,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2FL2NY2NC View Post
Although I am quoting this poster, this is not directed at this specific poster and more of a general observation. Admittedly, this is all so very new to me. I've never witnessed such hysteria over schools before. I have always valued education, along with my family and friends but since moving to this area and coming to this site (and another local site I frequent), I find the parents (mothers particularly) seem so frantic over everything being just perfect (not sure if that's the right word I'm looking for). It's just that no one seems relaxed about this process at all. Children have been moving and beginning the first day of school for years, without negative consequences.

Try not to fret too much. The EOGs are not the SATs. They do appear to be pretty basic. My one public schooled 9-year-old (from a "crappy" NJ school and now in a "crappy" NC school) scored two grade levels ahead. According to conversations with him, and then his teacher, it appears that most (not all) of the children that did poorly in his class are actually immigrant (in other words, English is not their first language and they are new transfers into the school) students.

Your child will likely have plenty of time to get up to speed, if he is not already there or very close to where he needs to be. The schools are VERY concerned with the kids passing, and A LOT of emphasis (sorry to say) is placed on this test and the results. If your kid needs additional help, it won't be your struggle alone. The school is going to do its part.

Let's give our children more credit. They are far more adaptable than we think. I see a lot of parents transferring their anxieties over relocating onto their children.

Realizing I'm going to get hit pretty hard for this but ...

Sara

Old 09-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Thanks Brian- and interesting link. I may actual buy the book that site ultimately is attempting to sell.

However it would still be helpful for you to share your first hand experience with your children relative to public schools, consider the very strong opinion you have on the first hand experience of someone else and their children.

Thank You
Who cares about the book? Just because there's a book there to purchase the numbers are invalid? The numbers are there for you to see, right in plain view. It's not like North Carolina came in one state back of New Jersey, it came in EIGHTEEN states back and selling a book ain't changing that.

I don't have kids nor do I want them so the quality of the schools meant nothing to me. You still can't ignore the stat. I'm sure there are schools in NC that are great schools but the point she made was just outright silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or