U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman209 View Post
use that link and compare mooresville to this zip code 07747
I would use another source. That is whacked - IMHO. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
THis is the best site for comparing places to live (Sperlings)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

They also have all sorts of other info on their site. This should give you much more info about demographics and cost of living. For ex, it appears the median price of a home in Matawan, NJ is about 2 x that of Mooresville. And the cost of living is considerably lower in Mooresville.

Mooresville is a rapidly growing area, experiencing about 20% growth annually. Matawan - around 5%. That in itself is going to tell you a lot about the area, as the growth may be something you would find exciting - or it may be something you find annoying (traffic, continual construction, changes in surrounding neighborhoods, etc).

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM

12 posts, read 13,223 times
I also live in Mooresville for the past two years. Crime does not seem an issue. You need to keep some of the crime data in perspective. Mooresville has a lot of big box stores with large parking lots. It serves as a regional shopping center to some degree. Some of the data you might be seeing could be related to this such as shop lifting. Also Mooresville is fairly big town. We also have a broad range of income levels.

I also came from a NJ town with a much lower crime rate. However, my former town had no malls or large stores. It was a popular town for people commuting to Wall Street. Also had a well funded police department. Most of the crime was localized to one neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,347 times
I've recently moved to Mooresville. I think my fiancé is second guessing things. It seems the crime rate has been rising up quite a bit the past few years? From what I've found crime rates are showing a good bit higher than national or North Carolina average.

Is crime really an issue here? Seems property crime is very high. What crimes are those driving it up so high?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 AM

7,180 posts, read 11,195,308 times
Would like to know more of what you're talking about.

Is there crime in Mooresville? Yes. There's crime everywhere.
Is it a problem? I don't think so. The notable crimes are nothing that affects the mass population. I recall hearing about some business robberies, some person on person crimes, etc., but they seemed to be isolated.

Please share details.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 AM

Just from searching crime rate it shows Mooresville crime especially property crime much higher than national average. Especially past few years it seems all categories of crime are on the rise.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 AM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,964 times
Take a look at Trulia.com and their crime overlay map. You'll see a good number of crime is centered in very specific areas of town. Mooresville PD has also recently changed how they patrol and really saturating specific areas and it's made a big difference. There was an article in the local paper recently discussing that change, I thought it was interesting. Overall though, Mooresville is a very safe place IMO. I have zero reservations walking around 99% of the city at any time day or night. There will be crime but Mooresville is a decently sized city so there will always be some.

I'd recommend living here or talking to more people that actually live here (such as what you're doing here on this thread) versus just basing what you see in statistics. I LOVE statistics but numbers don't always tell the full picture either.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:47 PM

New house we bought is in cherry grove. Development seems really nice but a mile or two in certain directions and it looks a bit more run down. I'm guessing those are the worse areas?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,964 times
Cherry Grove is perfectly fine. The immediate area is just good too. If you go a few miles towards downtown you get into a higher crime area but that's usually contained within that area. I certainly would not be concerned about moving to Cherry Grove, at least as far as crime goes. Nice neighborhood and I think you'll be happy there. Worry about other things (like the actual move, new jobs, etc.), not crime though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte