U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 AM

15 posts, read 31,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Buy the kid an ice cream cone and a new pair of Zips and call it a day.

I believe your idea of calling it a day, is quite different from what my definition is! Perhaps, you should contribute to someone's else's topic, or create one of your won. I would suggest calling it: A Day at The Gap then Ben & Jerry's!

Last edited by NCFamily1; 03-25-2012 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 AM

15 posts, read 31,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Oh, Carmen, Carmen, Carmen. You ain't seen nasty. We Southerners can be nice as you want and as nasty as you deserve. These replies were nice. Perhaps your understanding of this prejudice in question means you have a greater understanding of what actually happend, but I doubt it. Highly doubt it.

Most people here wouldn't care if it was a bank you wanted to cry foul about if you don't provide facts as to why you are crying foul. The OP stated no such facts other than her child couldn't color in the lines. It is their school and they can do as they please. They did as they pleased in this case.

Money and previous generous donations will always buy your way into the best places. That will never change.

I am not certain if it was meant to attack Southerns, that is not what I am seeing.

I believe we are still on topic about it being about PDS and the way of being influenced by money for admissions, as opposed to the individirual child. The process of admissions is warped, and no one has questioned it thus far.

The South is a very special place for our family, and always will be!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post

Actually, we are talking about a 5 year old. And yes, my child is disappointed after 3 visits in person to PDS, and spending some time there, with the staff of PDS asking questions to my child, such as: Would you like to go to our school?

Disappointment!
Your child WAS disappointed... but he was over it before you turned left out of the parking lot.

The real question is...

Are you over it?

5 year old's tend to let go of things like this pretty easily... parents? Not so much.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post

I believe your idea of calling it a day, is quite different from what my definition is! Perhaps, you should contribute to someone's else's topic, or create one of your won. I would suggest calling it: A Day at The Gap then Ben & Jerry's!
Call it whatever you want but wrap it up and keep it moving. Obsessing over this will do more harm in the long run.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Your child WAS disappointed... but he was over it before you turned left out of the parking lot.

The real question is...

Are you over it?

5 year old's tend to let go of things like this pretty easily... parents? Not so much.

I believe the recent string of posts by the OP would strongly suggest she still feels that she was wronged by a private institute that can use whatever criteria they wish to decide whether or not to accept children there. Nothing more than sour grapes, and attempt to want to fix something that is only broken in her eyes.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I believe the recent string of posts by the OP would strongly suggest she still feels that she was wronged by a private institute that can use whatever criteria they wish to decide whether or not to accept children there. Nothing more than sour grapes, and attempt to want to fix something that is only broken in her eyes.
Yep.. and I fear the 5 year is hearing about it over and over again.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I know, enough already huh?

No one school is going to be perfect for every single child.

The important thing is to find the school that best suits your child, (their needs and personality) and focus on that school, not all the ones you are never going to attend.

Ruminating over and over about how one school "wronged" you is just not healthy and a waste of time you'll never get back

Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM

210 posts, read 213,777 times
Prejudice is not the right word here. Prejudice would be if Providence Day refused to accept your child because of there race or income.

Your kid didn't pass the tests that they deem necessary to get in. No matter how hard or outdated the tests are that is not prejudice unless they happened to give your kid a much harder test than they give everyone else.

You may not think its fair that they set the bar so high, but those are there academic standards, and besides, if anyone ever told you life was fair to start with they are either trapped in a bubble or a liar.

These are the breaks.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM

67 posts, read 64,332 times
I'm a PDS parent and had an incredible admissions experience. We applied to PDS and Latin with hopes of getting into PDS. We were wait-listed at Latin which I found a little surprising since we have diversity (my husband is a 'minority') which is something, according to them, they need more of. I was disappointed since I thought we were a shoe-in on that merit alone (academics were very good otherwise), but not sad since our first choice was PDS.
The admission process at Latin was almost identical to that of PDS with the exception of them (PDS) not going to the pre-k to monitor my child while Latin did. Every Private uses the same IQ test (Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI))
My child isn't perfect. He is currently undergoing out-of-class OT sessions for his poor penmanship. The OT was suggested by the teacher (who is the most dedicated, patient, and incredible educator I have ever met!) when she realized my child was getting frustrated at not being able to write as quickly as think, lol. I have friends whose children have been guided to Speech Therapy, OT, and other similar things through PDS. Their intention is to allow the child to reach their full potential, which is something I most certainly can get behind. I wish my parents had been able to send me to OT for penmanship! Mine's atrocious!!
I understand how disappointing it is to not be accepted, but I'm shocked to hear about your bad experience since mine was so polar opposite. The Admissions team, ime, was stellar; always there to answer questions and help in any way they could etc, etc. I'm sorry this happened to you!
I do know they had a huge onslaught of applicants this year. It was most likely a case of not having enough spaces. I bet if you took your complaints back to the school they'd happily try and explain their position better.
The top privates here are all stellar, I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one your child attends.
Good luck. And, please don't hold a grudge. These schools work so closely with each other all year long both in sports and academics. It would be very taxing to carry around the animosity!
If I can forgive Latin, you can forgive PDS

Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Maybe some of you folks don't realize that a number of long term private schools in Charlotte were created during the time when CMS was being forced by the federal government to end "Separate but Equal" by racially integrating the schools. This took place ~1970-1972. Private schools sprung up all over the South, including Charlotte, as an alternative where students were "selected" to join. Go look at the founding dates of some of these places.

This history might explain some of the confusion. I don't think that race plays a role like that now but IMO as private institutions I think they probably still have unstated reasons in their selection criteria and your family either fits in or it doesn't. Natives and long term residents of Charlotte understand this, but I can see where someone new to area might not. Also IMO, I think you are much better off in moving on if it doesn't work out. It's simply not worth fretting over something that you can't change and there plenty of other good places in Charlotte, including various schools in CMS where a top education can be received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte