Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM

284 posts, read 606,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
NCFamily1 - Welcome to the Forum! This is what happens when you ask one simple question...people get nasty and jump all over you...
Interesting opinion. I think that it's a matter of how one phrases questions. This OP clearly had an issue (still, by the way, unspecific other than disappointment about the feedback they received from the school) about the admissions process - then made a huge leap in logic to an assumption regarding "prejudice" - then proceeded to go into every PDS thread PLUS start a new one, making vague accusations. So no, Carmen, I wouldn't put that in the category of asking "A simple question."

In fact, I've noticed another poster making an assumption about an entire group of people based on the area of town they live in and the way they dress. Yet, when people responded negatively to that, she couldn't imagine why what she posted would be received negatively. Hmmm, I wonder if that poster also felt she was just making "a simple observation. . ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
Buy the kid an ice cream cone and a new pair of Zips and call it a day.
exactly

"what do I tell my kid when he asked why he isn't going to Providence?"

You tell him whatever he needs to hear to get him to color inside or outside the lines at his next audition to pre-kindergarten.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Oh, Carmen, Carmen, Carmen. You ain't seen nasty. We Southerners can be nice as you want and as nasty as you deserve. These replies were nice. Perhaps your understanding of this prejudice in question means you have a greater understanding of what actually happend, but I doubt it. Highly doubt it.

Most people here wouldn't care if it was a bank you wanted to cry foul about if you don't provide facts as to why you are crying foul. The OP stated no such facts other than her child couldn't color in the lines. It is their school and they can do as they please. They did as they pleased in this case.

Money and previous generous donations will always buy your way into the best places. That will never change.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Oh, Carmen, Carmen, Carmen. You ain't seen nasty. We Southerners can be nice as you want and as nasty as you deserve. These replies were nice. Perhaps your understanding of this prejudice in question means you have a greater understanding of what actually happend, but I doubt it. Highly doubt it.

Most people here wouldn't care if it was a bank you wanted to cry foul about if you don't provide facts as to why you are crying foul. The OP stated no such facts other than her child couldn't color in the lines. It is their school and they can do as they please. They did as they pleased in this case.

Money and previous generous donations will always buy your way into the best places. That will never change.

It's not very surprising to see people ask questions, not looking for unbiased answers, but rather validation of the answers they've already come up with on their own. When people don't give the "correct" answer, and the OP tends to react poorly as a result, it's typically seen as an attack

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post
I would love to hear from other parents who have encountered the same treatment we obtained from Providence Day School in the admissions process, and from the status as a current student/parent. Providence Day School is using outdated exams for evaluations admission, and have a prejudice mentality against all potential students, unless they are perfect. Minor flaws are unacceptable from PDS.

Thoughts?
Guys,gals, Let focus back on the OP please

Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 AM

15 posts, read 38,497 times
Quote:
The part I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the admission that "it's just Kindergarten" and the fact that it really is just Kindergarten. I understand the importance of early learning and reenforcing good habits, but I would have a hard time stroking a check for Kindergarten in a private school unless it guaranteed admission to further grades.

And you're damn right someone with a well-known name or huge checkbook is going to have their child in that school. How do you think these nice gymnasiums and other facilities get built? Ever notice the name on the front of the building? Uh huh.

The easiest way you could get your kid into PDS tomorrow is to write a check to build a new technology center. I think a million dollars or so would be a good start.

Very well said!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
NCFamily1 - Welcome to the Forum! This is what happens when you ask one simple question...people get nasty and jump all over you. I'm not surprised this prejudice goes on here in the private schools because it goes on in the public schools, too. You don't donate enough money to the school and your child is treated indifferently. They also play favorites, too. Depends on who you are, how much money they think you have. I can understand why you'd want your child in private school, but these games goes on everywhere, and the children are the ones that suffer. Alot of people will verbally attack you if you say anything negative about the schools, stores, etc.
Best Wishes.

Hey Carmen11 ! Thank you for your kind words, and yes I am baring witness now to the attacks from others, who will defend PDS and find blame within us, the parents.

During our initial interview the admission some of the questions posed to us were: If we are able to donate any monies for the construction of a pool, since we brought up the question if they had one of their own? Are any of us talented musicians, when showing us the theater room that is sound proof for rehearsals? Pushing for more details as to what we do for a living? Mind you, some folks are going to know claim those questions were asked with good intentions, to get to know us better, its a bunch of BS, they were asking these sort of questions to size us up! You know this when you when your in the presences of the person asking these questions. We shrugged of at first, because we assumed that perhaps our instincts were off. But, later on when these sort of questions come up again, as they did when they had the 1 on 1 evaluation with our child, then it was confirmed they are trying to size up a persons wealth.

Thank you Carmen11 for your posting!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I think many of our kids today are coddled too much by their parents. We tried to get our son into PDS when he was a rising 6th grader and he spent a day in class there and in the end we were told 'he was not a good fit'. This objection was not the end of the world..my son has participated in many sports and has had quite a few disappointments, being cut for football in MS which I attributed to 'daddy ball'. He just tried out for Nike basketball team (which is highest level AAU in CLT) and made the first cut but got cut on the final cut. He was very distraught but as the saying goes 'life's not fair' and I consider it character building or life lesson. I myself can recall some of the disappointments I had as a child and how it motivated me to work harder to succeed. The way I look at my son's experiences, football..it is a very physical sport and I'm glad that coach did him favor in MS, he won't have to worry about those 'old football injuries'..basketball, he ain't goin' pro and many of the kids @Nike AAU have goal to get scholarships, go pro, with no fall back plan...my son has no desire to play basketball in college.. I'm happy to say as a SOPH he has never gotten below an A in school and has a 4.6 gpa and he doesn't have to study all that much while attending one of the best Union County Schools , a school we are very pleased with. Atleast he can control his destiny with his academics and he should have many choices at the next level.

ZNGuy I am sincerely happy events turned out for the better for your child. As a parents we always want whats best for our child, and I am happy things turned out well for yours! All the best to you, always!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The part I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the admission that "it's just Kindergarten" and the fact that it really is just Kindergarten. I understand the importance of early learning and reenforcing good habits, but I would have a hard time stroking a check for Kindergarten in a private school unless it guaranteed admission to further grades.

And you're damn right someone with a well-known name or huge checkbook is going to have their child in that school. How do you think these nice gymnasiums and other facilities get built? Ever notice the name on the front of the building? Uh huh.

The easiest way you could get your kid into PDS tomorrow is to write a check to build a new technology center. I think a million dollars or so would be a good start.

Spankys: Nicely put! Thank you so much for your opinion, which I am more than certain a lot of people such as us share!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
How can a 4 year old kid be aware/disappointed they didn't get accepted to a place they've never experienced before?

Unless all their friends go to this school there is no reason for a child to wish they were accepted to day care/kindergarten.

Actually, we are talking about a 5 year old. And yes, my child is disappointed after 3 visits in person to PDS, and spending some time there, with the staff of PDS asking questions to my child, such as: Would you like to go to our school?

Disappointment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte