U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
 
15 posts, read 31,713 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I would love to hear from other parents who have encountered the same treatment we obtained from Providence Day School in the admissions process, and from the status as a current student/parent. Providence Day School is using outdated exams for evaluations admission, and have a prejudice mentality against all potential students, unless they are perfect. Minor flaws are unacceptable from PDS.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,863,939 times
Reputation: 1932
Your post sounds like sour grapes.

You mention the same treatment, with out really saying what treatment.

One thing I have discovered to be very true over the years is that 99% of parents think their children are better than they actually are, and that their little darling would never do that.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
 
807 posts, read 2,041,880 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post
I would love to hear from other parents who have encountered the same treatment we obtained from Providence Day School in the admissions process, and from the status as a current student/parent. Providence Day School is using outdated exams for evaluations admission, and have a prejudice mentality against all potential students, unless they are perfect. Minor flaws are unacceptable from PDS.

Thoughts?
Did your children take pre-admission tests and if so, how did they do? These high end private schools are strong academic institutions. If they see something on the test that puts up a red flag, they may tell you the school may not be a good fit. They are looking for upper percentile scores compared to other private schools. Based on your other posts, it's clear you're upset but, maybe they just did you a big favor.

There are plenty of private schools in the area that I am certain your children would fit in well. Hope it all works out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Your post sounds like sour grapes.

You mention the same treatment, with out really saying what treatment.

One thing I have discovered to be very true over the years is that 99% of parents think their children are better than they actually are, and that their little darling would never do that.................
And posting those "sour grapes" all over the place on various threads just makes her look bad I'm afraid.

Providence Day is one of the top 4 private schools in south Charlotte. If someone doesn't like one there are 3 others to choose from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
 
373 posts, read 668,943 times
Reputation: 674
In your OP did you say that your child is a parent?
Is that correct and is that what you are getting at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,976 posts, read 8,713,298 times
Reputation: 6443
These higher end schools also serve as a landing zone for rich kids that get in trouble at CMS.

Money opens the door, regardless. Sure the academics are pretty good, but not all the kids there are headed for the Ivy League, that is for sure.

Remember, they are a private school, they can be as exclusive as they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Charlotte Metro Area
2,155 posts, read 3,369,298 times
Reputation: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post
I would love to hear from other parents who have encountered the same treatment we obtained from Providence Day School in the admissions process, and from the status as a current student/parent. Providence Day School is using outdated exams for evaluations admission, and have a prejudice mentality against all potential students, unless they are perfect. Minor flaws are unacceptable from PDS.

Thoughts?
Would you have the same feeling about their admissions process if your offspring had been accepted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post
I would love to hear from other parents who have encountered the same treatment we obtained from Providence Day School in the admissions process, and from the status as a current student/parent. Providence Day School is using outdated exams for evaluations admission, and have a prejudice mentality against all potential students, unless they are perfect. Minor flaws are unacceptable from PDS.

Thoughts?
Minor flaws? We all have flaws. So that statement is a bit over the top.

Are you talking about academic deficiencies? Or learning disabilities? history of behavioral problems?

Prejudice? How about . . . "standards." If your child didn't measure up to their standards, that is not prejudice (i.e., a certain academic average, pre-requisite courses). Institutions of higher ed also have these same types of "standards" and they certainly are not labeled "prejudiced" b/c of their standards.

Why are you so interested in putting your child in private school? Perhaps you were looking at private school as a solution to something the school felt was unrealistic.

I don't intend to offend you, but your post was so negative and lacking in detail . . . just brought a lot of questions to mind as to why you were so upset with a school rejecting your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 08:23 AM
 
15 posts, read 31,713 times
Reputation: 18
What I mean by Prejudice is minor flaws, such as my child's not being able to pronounce certain letters, but yet scored very high in the academic tests to enter PDS. My child can indeed write, but there were small errors in her drawing out circles within the Gisell Test.

There are no behavioral problems, bad attitudes, no outbursts of bad behavior, no disruptive behavior towards other children; a very loving child. **EX-LI: Offspring, I prefer my child- the end result is upsetting yes, but the process and unrealistic criticism along the way is more what upsets me- it is a learning experience, and I am more than certain other who have applied to PDS have encountered this too. I am only sharing what I witnessed first hand and have heard from others too.

As the comment of "Sour Grapes" it's not a really a good description, its more of a question in trying to understand the multiple exams a child must endure to enter Pre-K or Kindergarten and the child only finds disappointing when the school deems in their opinion you don't align with their values. Folks, these are children of 4 or 5 years old and the if the child has strong academics from other schools, gets along very well with others, is not handi-capped physically nor mentally, what stops them for admitting children into a would-be good school, a few minor glitches is wrong.

Private schools, are so we thought, are supposed to be an opportunity to offer a better education (assumption), but the methods in which PDS has laid out for entrance is more like a fraternity initiation, if you are well off financially and have a name, and your child is already up to speed with all they are going to learn the following school year, then they get in.

Yes, there are other private schools, in which they are a lot better in the treatment they offer potential students, even if they don't get in. I believe private schools should have certain laws that public schools adhere too, because this sort of fraternity is not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFamily1 View Post
What I mean by Prejudice is minor flaws, such as my child's not being able to pronounce certain letters, but yet scored very high in the academic tests to enter PDS. My child can indeed write, but there were small errors in her drawing out circles within the Gisell Test.

There are no behavioral problems, bad attitudes, no outbursts of bad behavior, no disruptive behavior towards other children; a very loving child. **EX-LI: Offspring, I prefer my child- the end result is upsetting yes, but the process and unrealistic criticism along the way is more what upsets me- it is a learning experience, and I am more than certain other who have applied to PDS have encountered this too. I am only sharing what I witnessed first hand and have heard from others too.

As the comment of "Sour Grapes" it's not a really a good description, its more of a question in trying to understand the multiple exams a child must endure to enter Pre-K or Kindergarten and the child only finds disappointing when the school deems in their opinion you don't align with their values. Folks, these are children of 4 or 5 years old and the if the child has strong academics from other schools, gets along very well with others, is not handi-capped physically nor mentally, what stops them for admitting children into a would-be good school, a few minor glitches is wrong.

Private schools, are so we thought, are supposed to be an opportunity to offer a better education (assumption), but the methods in which PDS has laid out for entrance is more like a fraternity initiation, if you are well off financially and have a name, and your child is already up to speed with all they are going to learn the following school year, then they get in.

Yes, there are other private schools, in which they are a lot better in the treatment they offer potential students, even if they don't get in. I believe private schools should have certain laws that public schools adhere too, because this sort of fraternity is not right.

Uh, the whole point of something being "private" is that government can't tell you how you have to do anything

Obviously, you've been greatly disappointed when your belief of what private schools should be didn't match the reality of what they are, and I'm sorry for that, but that doesn't make PDS "prejudiced", they are simply discerning and looking for kids who best fit their model of education.

Perhaps you'd find charter schools more to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top