U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,462,171 times

Advertisements

We will be hitting Charlotte at the end of 4-week trip to the States (from Brazil) and will want to buy at least one extra suitcase to hold all the stuff we (well, mainly my wife) buy (many thgings are cheaper here). My wife has gotten decent deals, in other cities, at Burlington Coat Factory, Ross and such. Surprisingly, Costco was pricey.

She also wants to hit Macy's and Costco. I learned from an earlier thread that the South Park Mall is the biggest and has best selection of stores (we'll bypass the high-end boutiqe stores), and isn't a long drive from Costco. If there's soeplace with low prices on luggage in that area, great, otherwise we'll get the bag wherever we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,239,161 times
When I went to Europe a few years ago, we (6 of us) shipped back everything we bought as we went along our trip. We determined that by the time we bought and carried extra luggage, and paid those fees, along with the hassle of dealing with it, it was easier and cheaper to ship everything back. We pooled our (smaller) stuff into larger boxes and shipped them back every few days to the parents of a couple of our group.

One of us collects Coke memorabilia, and she didn't want to ship some of her bottles. A couple of them broke in her luggage in the middle of the trip, so she got to enjoy Coke smell and stickiness for the rest of the trip, plus having to wash all of her clothes.

Something to consider.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 AM

981 posts, read 962,520 times
I agree shipping it may be easier and cheaper, however if you really want luggage with a decent price Marshalls and TJMaxx have brand names for good prices, we bought ours there years ago and it is still holding up really well

Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Thanks. We're talking about 1-2 bags max, and since we're flying biz class we'll still be under the limit. Thanks for the tips on stores. I'd forgotten about Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but will look to see where their stores in Charlotte are. We'll definitely hit Macy's and Costco, but never find deals on luggage there.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM

795 posts, read 697,583 times
Check Habitat for Humanity stores, along with Goodwill, and Salvation Army. Sometimes, very good luggage ends up there. Lord knows, we have donated some very good pieces over the years because we did not need the pieces; carry on, even if it's trip for a week.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM

784 posts, read 934,786 times
We wanted a hardsided suitcase and found a good deal at Sam's Club last month. They also had some good sets if you needed more than 1 pc.

Price wise if you aren't picky Marshalls/TJMaxx seemed to be cheapest.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM

Ended up buying one suitcase at Ross in Asheville and another at a Ross in Charlotte. TJ Maxx (and Tuesday Morning, as I recall, but could be wrong) also had some good deals. Costco surprisingly expensive for luggage, as we'd seen before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte